AVIC411.com

How do we back up our map locations?

For the up-teenth (that's a number, no?) time, I lost all my AVIC-5000NEX map locations.

I'm not sure what to do, is there a way to back up locations to a microSD card?

I get how CarPlay is almost what we need it to be - but until we get current/max speed displayed, I spend most of my highway time on the native NEX map.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Don

Perhaps you can backup with Naviextras Toolbox: https://www.naviextras.com/shop/portal/downloads

It supposedly performs backups, but exactly what is backed up IDK.

I haven't used navigation on my 8000 yet.  Haven't traveled to an unfamiliar destination or route, so have yet to experience loss of locations... but I had essentially the same issue with my Kenwood DNN990HD.  With wi-fi feature it can upload and download routes via routecollector.com.  In short, crappy.  However, being it uses Garmin I finally figured out how to upload custom waypoints and routes I create on my computer using Garmin POI Uploader.

The Naviextras website seems to indicate POI databases can be uploaded to devices, but I can't find any details or explicit instructions, let alone whether a custom POI datebase can be created by end user.  I submitted a support query on the matter of backing up saved locations/routes and uploading custom waypoints, and detailed instructions if it is possible.  Will let y'all know what I hear back...

In the meantime, you might try Naviextras Toolbox and see what, if any info on the matter you can glean from the actual app.  Perhaps it has better detailed info on features and use than the website does.  I haven't installed because I haven't the need... yet.

The Naviextras website seems to indicate POI databases can be uploaded to devices, but I can't find any details or explicit instructions, let alone whether a custom POI datebase can be created by end user.  I submitted a support query on the matter of backing up saved locations/routes and uploading custom waypoints, and detailed instructions if it is possible.  Will let y'all know what I hear back...

UPDATE

QUERY - "Pioneer AVIC-8000NEX UC.

Is there any way to backup saved locations/routes?

Is there any way to upload/import custom waypoints/routes?

If yes to either or both, please provide detailed instructions."

REPLY - "I understand that you wish to import routes and favourites into your device.

You can do this in Naviextras Toolbox, under Extras. If you have a .kml file with the route or the POI that you wish to import, you can upload the file onto your device here. (You can create .kml files with the help of Google Maps, for example.)

Once you imported the POI data, you can find it in your map view on the device. Select the POI and you can plan a route to that point in the navigation."

I guess it's a start... but based on the reply I got and other experiences with other product support teams, I really have to wonder if they read the question :)

Wow, to be honest I never thought to look at what that tool can do! I remember reading it is needed for updating the maps on the AVIC-5000NEX. But I figured it was too early to take a close look. Thanks for the heads up, I have this on my to-do list for the weekend!

Happy holidays!

Merry Christmas (to all)...!!!

Did you make any headway?

I downloaded and installed Toolbox, and all I get is that my device needs to be registered.  Obviously can't connect device to my PC, so imagine it'll have to be handled via USB stick or SD card.  I couldn't find any instructions on how to do it.

I have a query for "how to" submitted to both Naviextras and Pioneer product support...

You get an 8 GB thumbnail drive formatted to fat32. And install on Nex usb, then sync, then remove and install on pc running the Navi tool, install updates, then return to nex and sync to update. This is short version. Directions will be more detailed.

Navi tool will backup to your computer, before anything changes are made. I did this on my avic-u260 add on for my 4000Nex( mine uses SD card , not USB, because it is addon not built-in)

Thanks.  I tried that route (without those instructions... TYVM, BTW)... but with a 4GB USB stick... so with 8GB being the minimum, I now see why it didn't work.  I have a 32GB stick I could use, but I ordered two 8GB micro-sticks  just for this "custom update" purpose (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007V9SNNY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1)... so I can leave them in each of my two vehicles, just in case the HU's lose memory while I'm working away from home (could be a month or better)... so I'll wait until Tuesday when I get them.  Just happened to get lucky on ordering 8GB rather than lesser capacity.

@joemamma1954 thanks, I was able to sync the AVIC-5000NEX to my 16GB USB 2.0 thumb drive, which was formatted Fat32.

When I brought it over to my PC, the thumb drive keeps disconnecting, then Naviextras Toolkit tosses up errors saying the data on the thumb drive couldn't be read.

So I took another 16GB USB 2.0 drive, also formatted Fat32, and got the same result.

The PC has no problem connecting the USB thumb drive, but Naviextras Toolkit seems to have a problem, so it keeps disconnecting it.

Getting. So. Much. Closer. But. Not. There. Yet. :)

I guess it's a start... but based on the reply I got and other experiences with other product support teams, I really have to wonder if they read the question :)

Offshored support are typically reading from a script, not necessarily the brighter tools in the shed (think McDonalds). Escalations might get you to someone with a clue.

Not sure if I mentioned, I'm running Windows 8.1 64bit in VMWare Fusion 7 Pro.

To get this to work I needed to set USB compatibility to 2.0 before launching the VM.

Got the download onto the USB thumb stick. 

naviextras-toolbox-60-days-update.png

Once I brought the USB thumb drive to the NEX, and went to the Sync section, it downloaded from USB>NEX just fine.

naviextras-toolbox-updating.png

Not sure what it downloaded, but had to do with some updates for the unit; apparently I had the latest Maps already.

FWIW, I think it's ironic how Pioneer partners with a third party that wants to charge us $129 for NA maps that are "latest" from Q4 2013!

Don

Not sure if I mentioned, I'm running Windows 8.1 64bit in VMWare Fusion 7 Pro.

To get this to work I needed to set USB compatibility to 2.0 before launching the VM.

Got the download onto the USB thumb stick. 

Once I brought the USB thumb drive to the NEX, and went to the Sync section, it downloaded from USB>NEX just fine.

Not sure what it downloaded, but had to do with some updates for the unit; apparently I had the latest Maps already.

FWIW, I think it's ironic how Pioneer partners with a third party that wants to charge us $129 for NA maps that are "latest" from Q4 2013!

Don

Good to hear you got it to sync. I shouldn't have any problems once I get my 8GB micro-sticks.  Once registered I'll have a look at any free updates, and perhaps sync them... but my main reason is to simply load custom waypoints as a backup for saved locations.

I'm fairly certain I won't be purchasing any map updates for some time.  I realize many like to keep their maps up to date, but unless pirated, quite expensive for what little benefit is actually obtained. JMO