AVIC411.com

What's Up With Maps Updates for X940BT and Earlier???

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I'm afraid it's the same process for cell phones and basically all consumer electronics these days - the manufacturer releases updates for a couple years, and then eventually discontinues maintenance on that product.  I think there are a few factors involved:

1. Continued updates may require additional licensing (from NAVTEQ)

2. The user base on older products grows smaller over time so there is less overall benefit

3. Any software update requires significant engineering resources to produce

It seems that Pioneer doesn't roll these costs into the initial product price (for better or worse), which means they need to charge for updates, and that makes the potential user base even smaller.

On the positive side, roads don't really change much over time.  I don't know about where you live, but around me even the 2011 maps were still plenty accurate.  I bought the 2013 update more for the AV feature changes than the maps.  So probably the maps you have are fine and you don't even need to spend the $120 on new maps :-P

Ha...the number of changes in roads, freeways, and highways in my area are comically large.  The lack of availability of current map updates for Pioneer is driving my family to use Google and Apple maps more and more on our smartphones in the car, instead of Pioneer....it's rapidly becoming a brick.

But seriously, does ANYONE have any specific information about my question?  What's up with the X9XX series map updates?  It's 2015...the last update was 2013 (really using 2012 data).

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...