AVIC411.com

Pioneer AVH-X5500BT - Black Screen fault

Can anyone help me with the fault that has developed in my Pioneer system, or has anyone had the same issue and managed to get it repaired?

I've had a Pioneer AVH-X5500BT installed in my car for just over a year and as of yesterday the 7 inch screen permanently displays black, even though audio still works.

Although I can't see the onscreen controls, I can hear them beeping when I press the touch screen and I can select and listen to different sources (radio, CD, USB, etc.) but cannot see anything on the screen.

A hard reset (using a pin in the reset hole) restarts the unit and the screen appears in full colour for about 3 seconds then goes off. So I know the LED screen is working (for 3 seconds).

If you reset with a pin and hold down [VOL-] button and [TRK<] button – this puts the unit into Firmware update mode. In this mode the screen displays fine and stays on permanently until you come out of the update mode. So there appears to be no actual fault with the screen itself.

I've also completely removed and reapplied the power connector at the back of the unit and this doesn't help either.

I feel really let down by Pioneer who do not provide any info about the issue and have asked me to send it back - paying for postage and packaging, a fixed investigation fee of £40, the cost of the repair and then a further cost for the courier charge to send it back. This could cost more than the unit is worth.

Up until now I believed Pioneer to provide great quality products but now feel I have to switch to another manufacturer as I have no confidence in them anymore.

• 9 years later...