AVIC411.com

HDMI Possibilities!

Post here what you use your HDMI forand explain why you think its the best option:

Mhl

Htpc (home theater PC)

Streamers (google tv, apple TV,amazon fire TV, etc.)

Game consoles

Or maybe just cable extensions to glove box for hook up to anything at any time.

Let's help each other maxize the HDMI possibilities!

I use mine primarily for my MHL adapter for mirroring my phone, which in turn mostly just acts nowadays as a remote terminal to my server and PC at home. This eliminates the shortcomings of the NEX units with regards to mass storage, but is only really feasible if you spend most of your time primarily in an area with robust LTE service.

I have tried about everything with the HDMI.

1. Apple digital A/V adapter

2. Apple TV(requires internet for apps, network for airplay)

3. Chromecast(requires network for casting)

4. Mac Mini(requires keyboard and mouse, hotspot for internet)

5. Android mini computer/tv stick(requires wireless keyboard and mouse)

6. Sony mini camcorder(for dashcam)

What i have figured out, is for most of this to work, you have to have to have either internet access and/or a network(via router or hotspot) in your vehicle. The other issue, is hdmi will only play on the head unit, and can't be mirrored to the rear screens(which was my goal to begin with).

I wanted to have youtube, netflix, hbogo, etc, for the kids on headrest monitors, not for viewing on headunit.

i have hdmi splitter in glove box, for easy hookup to any source, also hotspot for internet and network setup.

After all the testing, I am working to root the android mini pc, and only use hdmi for AppRadio(for the DashCommand app). leaving my iphone hooked up to usb1.

• 4 weeks later...

Im planing on getting a Mirabox with hdmi to mirror my iPhone 6Plus.

http://www.geekbuying.com/item/Airplay-Miracast-Mirror-Link-Box-Connects-Samrtphone-to-the-Car-TFT-for-All-Audio-Video-and-App-Wireless---Silvery-336715.html

Saw a video on youtube where a guy had took a kivic one (same as Mirabox) and MimicsX2 device and was able to get full mirroring with touch functionality not sure if i'll spend money for mimics though. (179.99)

http://customgadz.com/3-mimicsx2

So with the Mirabox you connect your phone to it via bluetooth, and then you can control your phone by using the touchscreen on the NEX?  i assume you just set the NEX unit to HDMI?  Would audio go through the NEX as well?  

No Mirabox creates its own wifi gateway/hotspot and uses airplay to mirror the iPhone screen doesn't use bluetooth at all it hooked up to the hdmi in port on the next unit so image on next unit is HD  there is an older Mirabox that uses rca cables and picture comes from RCA instead of an hdmi output. Yes you would set NEX to Hdmi but Mirabox will only mirror video/audio via airplay you need the other device I posted link to for touch functionality that also mirrors as well (MimicsX2) I'm gonna hold off on MimicsX2 and just get Mirabox b/c i think in a few months when Carplay becomes more accessible in factory cars someone will eventually start making tweaks for Carplay and figure out a away to mirror through that noticed a few days ago when i changed my theme on my jailbroken 6Plus that it also changed Carplay icons as well so i take that as a good sign something can be done with it.  

I'm currently using both an Iphone 5 with the AppRadio and EC Radio apps, and a M809III Android stick with a really nice car oriented home launcher. The Android stick gives me full car-puter capabilities of course.

How are you connecting both???  Or do you use an hdmi switch.  Do you have touchscreen capability with the Android stick?  If yes, did you do anything special?