AVIC411.com

Pioneer 2015 second generation NEX

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not a single spec between these head units and the ones preceding them are different except for android auto. Pioneer is literally updating new machines that come off the factory now, but not the machines that preceded them because

"hey loyal consumer! f*^#^ you!

Love pioneer"

Not a single spec between these head units and the ones preceding them are different except for android auto. Pioneer is literally updating new machines that come off the factory now, but not the machines that preceded them because

"hey loyal consumer! f*^#^ you!

Love pioneer"

The moment I can reasonably afford to buy a new head unit, I'm going to buy a different brand than Pioneer and never look back. The way this company treats its customers is a joke. Customer satisfaction is an afterthought at best.

Hmmm, I'm really disappointed in Pioneer forcing customers to purchase a new head unit just for Android Auto support.  Is there anything else different between the units?

It's been proven that the NEX series runs on Android so hopefully we can just hack the firmware and still use the "old" model.  Either that, or I'll absolutely be selling this head unit for the new Parrot Android system that's coming out.

I still can't believe that Pioneer would screw customers that paid over $1400 for a car stereo though by not providing them an update.

Hmmm, I'm really disappointed in Pioneer forcing customers to purchase a new head unit just for Android Auto support.  Is there anything else different between the units?

It's been proven that the NEX series runs on Android so hopefully we can just hack the firmware and still use the "old" model.  Either that, or I'll absolutely be selling this head unit for the new Parrot Android system that's coming out.

I still can't believe that Pioneer would screw customers that paid over $1400 for a car stereo though by not providing them an update.

The Parrot on paper at least is an actual upgrade. Full support for OBD2 in the headunit, fully capacitive 720 p IPS display (no one else is making better than 800x480 displays right now), full media support, built in support for dash cams, with the same apple carplay and android auto support. Seriously. Pioneer is sitting on their hands giving us garbage and calling it platinum. It's not hard to make a better radio than the trash they are peddling. 

If yall really think that pioneer was solely responsible for yall needing a new radio to support Android Auto, then you have a fair amount of misplaced rage. Much like Apple did to pioneer and other radio manufacturers, it is a safe bet that Google has a set requirement on internal hardware to run there system. Look around, it's the same reason that no one has been able to add carplay to older units with out doing an oddball hack, (which honestly I don't put a ton of faith in actually working fluidly like Carplay does on the current NEX's)

Scott, I understand what you're saying and we will probably never know the truth, but I really don't think that's the case here.

I think the reason no one has added CarPlay to older units is because there is little incentive for manufacturers to add features to older units.  Instead, they would rather make new hardware where they can make money.  There might also be other reasons such as software incompatibility (i.e. older headunits running Windows CE might not support CarPlay).  This situation is different because the NEX series already runs Android.  Somebody hacked the 8000 NEX and dumped the entire operating system and it's Android.

If the hardware has changed between the 8000 and 8100 then I can understand the argument, but Pioneer is not advertising a single new features besides adding Android Auto.

I can't even think of a new hardware feature that would be required, because this is just video streaming and multi-touch stuff.  In this case of Netflix, it requires encryption which is why it can't be added to older devices, but this situation just seems so much different and it feels like people that paid $1,400 less than a year ago are getting screwed out of future updates.

EDIT: I also want to point out that when I first purchased my 8000 NEX I posted a lengthy review on here gushing about how incredible the unit was, etc.  However, now that I see the kind of support that Pioneer provides I will absolutely not be purchasing anything from them in the future.

Are we positive that Pioneer won't update the current NEX units? Maybe they are just holding that announcement off for some reason? I agree, that would suck. It would be great if my 8000 could also have Android Auto since I don't use the iPhone.

If they play by the same rules they've been playing by for years, they've already forgotten that they made last year's NEX units.

Scott, I understand what you're saying and we will probably never know the truth, but I really don't think that's the case here.

I think the reason no one has added CarPlay to older units is because there is little incentive for manufacturers to add features to older units.  Instead, they would rather make new hardware where they can make money.  There might also be other reasons such as software incompatibility (i.e. older headunits running Windows CE might not support CarPlay).  This situation is different because the NEX series already runs Android.  Somebody hacked the 8000 NEX and dumped the entire operating system and it's Android.

If the hardware has changed between the 8000 and 8100 then I can understand the argument, but Pioneer is not advertising a single new features besides adding Android Auto.

I can't even think of a new hardware feature that would be required, because this is just video streaming and multi-touch stuff.  In this case of Netflix, it requires encryption which is why it can't be added to older devices, but this situation just seems so much different and it feels like people that paid $1,400 less than a year ago are getting screwed out of future updates.

EDIT: I also want to point out that when I first purchased my 8000 NEX I posted a lengthy review on here gushing about how incredible the unit was, etc.  However, now that I see the kind of support that Pioneer provides I will absolutely not be purchasing anything from them in the future.

I'm not clear why they can't marry the hardware of a moderately high end tablet... say a Nexus 7... with a quality amplifier and disc drive and not have all of the horsepower needed to practically future proof their units for years, not to mention produce a head unit that is significantly cheaper than the substandard one they're producing now.