AVIC411.com

Pioneer 2015 second generation NEX

These new units were announced today, and they won't be available for at least two more months (http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Press-Room/Car-Audio-Video/Pioneer's+Second+Generation+NEX+Receivers+Expand+smartphone+Connectivity). Also, has Google even officially released Android Auto into the wild? Given all of that, isn't it perhaps a bit too soon to presume that Pioneer will not provide a firmware update to enable Android Auto for the now-old 8000, 7000, and 4000 NEX units?

Admittedly, Pioneer's history on supporting older units hasn't been great. Plus, other than what might be a better screen for the resistive non-8000 units, there doesn't seem much else to distinguish these 2015 models from the 2014s other than Android Auto support. So, everyone is probably right--the old units are doomed.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

These new units were announced today, and they won't be available for at least two more months (http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Press-Room/Car-Audio-Video/Pioneer's+Second+Generation+NEX+Receivers+Expand+smartphone+Connectivity). Also, has Google even officially released Android Auto into the wild? Given all of that, isn't it perhaps a bit too soon to presume that Pioneer will not provide a firmware update to enable Android Auto for the now-old 8000, 7000, and 4000 NEX units?

Admittedly, Pioneer's history on supporting older units hasn't been great. Plus, other than what might be a better screen for the resistive non-8000 units, there doesn't seem much else to distinguish these 2015 models from the 2014s other than Android Auto support. So, everyone is probably right--the old units are doomed.

That was pretty much the story for the NEX units. They were about a month late with people bitching that the CarPlay update supposedly due in "early summer" and not coming until fall.

I remember a conversation I had with Pioneer about an issue I had with my Appradio 2 like a month after the Appradio 3 came out. Their support staff more or less said point blank "there are no more updates coming to the AppRadio 2. It's legacy hardware now and Pioneer is not supporting it any longer."

I highly doubt that situation has changed. I hope Y'all like how your units are running on os 1.08 because nothing is changing from here anymore. 

www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Press-Room/Car-Audio-Video/Pioneer's+Second+Generation+NEX+Receivers+Expand+smartphone+Connectivity

So far, looks like they updated the screens on the non 8000 units, higher resolution and better responsiveness.

They added Android Auto to 3 models, but not all.

Tweaked the OS software to handle the new SiriusXM features of the 300 adapter, by adding a software button... (hardware front screen looks identical from 8000 to 8100).

Bluetooth looks identical to my 8000

In fact, the spec sheet other than the android auto section, and SiriusXM looks to be a direct copy and paste of the previous generation.

They added a remote control to the 8100 vs last years 8000 in the box.

If that truly is all they did, and very little to any hardware variance, then we should be excited! Why? It means that whatever OS updates/tweaks they get COULD trickle down in patch releases to our units OR open the ability to for us to software upgrade to the 8100 model.

It looks like they have found an OS to stick with that they can build upon each year. Much like the older F/X 700/900 units that you could load newer software on older hardware. This is great news compared to my now 2 year old x950BH that appears to be a one and done generation with no newer generation releases to recieve updates from.

Has anyone seen a Sirius SV200 vs SV300 adapter? Are they pin identical? If so, its very possible nothing other than the screens have changed, and everything else is in software.

As for the "hope you like it at version 1.08" comment, I have heard there is a January update coming for the current model NEX units... not sure what all it does (hopefully bug fixes and AVICSYNC support).

www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Press-Room/Car-Audio-Video/Pioneer's+Second+Generation+NEX+Receivers+Expand+smartphone+Connectivity

So far, looks like they updated the screens on the non 8000 units, higher resolution and better responsiveness.

They added Android Auto to 3 models, but not all.

Tweaked the OS software to handle the new SiriusXM features of the 300 adapter, by adding a software button... (hardware front screen looks identical from 8000 to 8100).

Bluetooth looks identical to my 8000

In fact, the spec sheet other than the android auto section, and SiriusXM looks to be a direct copy and paste of the previous generation.

They added a remote control to the 8100 vs last years 8000 in the box.

If that truly is all they did, and very little to any hardware variance, then we should be excited! Why? It means that whatever OS updates/tweaks they get COULD trickle down in patch releases to our units OR open the ability to for us to software upgrade to the 8100 model.

It looks like they have found an OS to stick with that they can build upon each year. Much like the older F/X 700/900 units that you could load newer software on older hardware. This is great news compared to my now 2 year old x950BH that appears to be a one and done generation with no newer generation releases to recieve updates from.

Has anyone seen a Sirius SV200 vs SV300 adapter? Are they pin identical? If so, its very possible nothing other than the screens have changed, and everything else is in software.

As for the "hope you like it at version 1.08" comment, I have heard there is a January update coming for the current model NEX units... not sure what all it does (hopefully bug fixes and AVICSYNC support).

Screen has not changed. They can say whatever they want. The spec sheet for the 8100 is a 800x480 LED backlit capacitive display. The display on the 8000 is a 800x480 LED backlit capacitive display. 

Edit: and as far as patching the units with the new software. My appradio 2 is hardware identical short of a USB cable to the appradio 3 110 unit. Notice that same little spec bump between the units? The 110 activated the dormant bluetooth streaming on the appradio 2. Pioneer never updated the 2 to do it. The update never came. Don't keep your fingers crossed here. 

Probably not dramatic, but it does look like there were hardware changes. Here is the model comparison page:

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Car/ch.NEX.Compare

Example, the AVIC-5100NEX has a whopping .1" bigger screen (6.2" vs 6.1"). Price seems to be the same. SD now vs microSD. Clear Resistive vs Resistive. Auto vs manual time alignment. Option remote vs no remote. Probably more, just a quick check...

I'm glad I was forced into waiting.... but for those that are mad, it seems that all the car auto makers are full of ca ca.  My Kenwood 990HD never got the needed update so that all the extra 'features' actually worked.

The 991 got HDMI and a better screen and some of the 'features' work better it seems.

Funny how OEM units that do just about everything (nav, phone hookup, etc...) work WAY better.... 

That being said... I'm sure we'll all never truely be happy with any of them.

http://www.droid-life.com/2015/01/06/pioneer-announces-android-auto-support-with-installable-infotainment-systems/#more-158924

Just to add to the links.  8)

Right, doesnt look like the 8000 to 8100 changed, but I was mentioning the lower end units. They have moved from a "resistive" to a "clear resistive" whatever that means. According to the press release it improves responsiveness.

And I am not really crossing my fingers for a software upgrade to add features found here, that will probably never happen. In the past though, with the F/X series you could load newer software on the older units with a few file modifications. This would fix software glitches that were patched in the newer units. The point is, if the units are hardware identical, at least processor/memory/graphics/input-output wise, and they run the same OS (pictures make it look that way) it opens the possibility for Pioneer to do whats right OR the mod community to figure out a way to port over the updated OS kernels.

The sad sad x950BH I had didnt spawn any newer generations, instead being completely ditched for the Android based NEX OS. If it had been like the previous 3 generations of AVIC's, that all ran WINCE, development might have occured for it. If we get two or three generations of Android based NEX OS units, and if we can figure out how to edit the OS ROM, we may have a flexible platform again.

Screen has not changed. They can say whatever they want. The spec sheet for the 8100 is a 800x480 LED backlit capacitive display. The display on the 8000 is a 800x480 LED backlit capacitive display. 

Edit: and as far as patching the units with the new software. My appradio 2 is hardware identical short of a USB cable to the appradio 3 110 unit. Notice that same little spec bump between the units? The 110 activated the dormant bluetooth streaming on the appradio 2. Pioneer never updated the 2 to do it. The update never came. Don't keep your fingers crossed here. 

Simple solution, if you paid with a credit card call them and start a refund process for an unfinished non working unit as i did. The non working Avicsync, Connected services and I datalink portion is enuff for a full refund as my credit card told me. I bought one unit cash and one I a credit card so at least I can return one, even though it's been 9 months. What will I get to replace,I dont know, but ill wait to see who's unit actually works as advertised.

Simple solution, if you paid with a credit card call them and start a refund process for an unfinished non working unit as i did. The non working Avicsync, Connected services and I datalink portion is enuff for a full refund as my credit card told me. I bought one unit cash and one I a credit card so at least I can return one, even though it's been 9 months. What will I get to replace,I dont know, but ill wait to see who's unit actually works as advertised.

If I wanted to do this (and I likely do not), is it your understanding that all credit card companies do this? I bought mine on a Discover Card - I know they have extended warranty coverage, but that's different from what you're describing.

If I wanted to do this (and I likely do not), is it your understanding that all credit card companies do this? I bought mine on a Discover Card - I know they have extended warranty coverage, but that's different from what you're describing.

I can't speak for all, but u can call to find out if that's a route u are interested in. I Am returning my wife's and keeping mine until something better comes a long