AVIC411.com

Pioneer 2015 second generation NEX

yeah I just sold my 8000nex and bought the Kenwood Dnn992,(will be here tomorrow)the maestro RR working with the 8000nex is kind of a joke , The kenwood is way above the 8000nex with factory integration, I can see tire pressures, boost level,coolant temp,egt and check engine trouble codes on the Kenwood, the pioneer is nothing but steering wheel controls with maestro RR.bye bye pioneer hello kenwood :-P

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah I just sold my 8000nex and bought the Kenwood Dnn992,(will be here tomorrow)the maestro RR working with the 8000nex is kind of a joke , The kenwood is way above the 8000nex with factory integration, I can see tire pressures, boost level,coolant temp,egt and check engine trouble codes on the Kenwood, the pioneer is nothing but steering wheel controls with maestro RR.bye bye pioneer hello kenwood :-P

Just curious, what year/make/model car?

While I do think those features are cool, it really seems like a novelty to me. I'd much rather have Carplay. 

Hmmm, I'm really disappointed in Pioneer forcing customers to purchase a new head unit just for Android Auto support.  Is there anything else different between the units?

It's been proven that the NEX series runs on Android so hopefully we can just hack the firmware and still use the "old" model.  Either that, or I'll absolutely be selling this head unit for the new Parrot Android system that's coming out.

I still can't believe that Pioneer would screw customers that paid over $1400 for a car stereo though by not providing them an update.

Very true I've bought a new head unit almost every year for last 4 years Pioneer drops the ball when it comes to new iPhone compatibility they are getting a little better but not by much every year they come out with new head units that are only compatible with certain iPhones  when i upgraded to the 5  i lost app radio mode b/c it was only compatible with 4  & 4's  bought next years model that was recently stolen before xmas that was compatible with 5 and 6 but didn't have car play and the fact that i needed to have 3 extra cable to run app mode was a bit over the top now we have new NEX models that have both Carplay and Android Auto and will operate AppRadio mode with just the lightning cable as much as these head units cost we should be getting updates that should do the same for 2014 NEX units.  Some of us consumers are BRAND LOYAL and id say since they have come out with these units that have AppMode we have been getting the shaft if your an iPhone user feels like every year they come out with new iPhone you almost need to replace your heading along with phone to be fully compatible and it not RIGHT AT ALL!

Just curious, what year/make/model car?

Yeah i have 2011 F150 supercrew 4x4 ecoboost, but guys I have to eat crow on the comparison, the DNN992 is still slow as hell booting up i timed it many times and it 45-60 boot time, the pioneer blew the kenwood out of the water in start up time, the user interface on the pioneer so much better and the screen is more vivd  compared to the DNN992, the DNN seemed washed out and all I do is listen to Sirius radio, from the kenwood manual it doesn`t do Album art like the Pioneer does on Sirius, so I`m sending back to the DNN992 and get a 8000nex again

I have been looking for a unit for a while I would like a large screen, Sat radio, GPS, local radio. Maybe an option to add a xbox 360 and screen for the people in the back seat. I don't listen to cd's so I would like the screen to hide the cd slot. the JVC 810 is a option. It seems that all the kenwood people are bashing kenwood, so it looks like its everywhere. I don't like the thought that the Pioneer systems come ready for apple phones but people with andriod phones have to buy extra cables.

Just to let everyone know, I'm an authorized pioneer dealer, and have spoken at length to tech support about these new units. There are most definitely hardware changes in the units for android auto. Google made them change screens to meet specs for touch control. They wanted all the android auto units to have the 8000 screens and pioneer got them to compromise. Anyway, as of now they have no plans to update the 2014 models. Sucks cause I have a 4000nex in my dash and I'm getting sick of switching radios. Oh and only difference between sxv200 and sxv300 is some kind of mixtrack type feature they added. Plugs are the same.

Just to let everyone know, I'm an authorized pioneer dealer, and have spoken at length to tech support about these new units. There are most definitely hardware changes in the units for android auto. Google made them change screens to meet specs for touch control. They wanted all the android auto units to have the 8000 screens and pioneer got them to compromise. Anyway, as of now they have no plans to update the 2014 models. Sucks cause I have a 4000nex in my dash and I'm getting sick of switching radios. Oh and only difference between sxv200 and sxv300 is some kind of mixtrack type feature they added. Plugs are the same.

Honestly, Pioneer was able to put a capacitive display on the appradio 1 which sold for 300 dollars new 4 years ago and yet now in 2014 they still want to keep using Resistive displays on all their head units? Blah. The capacitive display is ubiquitous at this point. You cannot with a straight face tell me that there is an actual cost disadvantage on the material when not only does every touchscreen phone or tablet use it, but your cheapest carplay compatible radio the AppRadio 4 uses it. Pioneer knows that we the customer want capacitive displays, so they make their most expensive unit that costs 1400 dollars be the only one that makes sense to buy which in turn makes none of their radios make sense to buy. 

Is there any real significant changes to the hardware on the 5000/5100 or 6000/6100. I read pioneer's website and the screen has some changes. From what i have read the screen in the 8000 is not nearly as good as say your iphone screen. If there are no real changes I will probably try and purchase a 6000 at a discounted price once the 6100 is available for sale.

• 2 weeks later...

The screens had to change to allow multiple touch points so pinch to zoom and similar features would work like your phone. It's not a capacitive vs resistive or screen resolution change, it is merely for better touch control. And all of these units are 800×400 resolution so no, they will never look as good as most high end hd phones do now. Unless you are sold on android auto, or pioneer decides to update features before releasing the new units, there is nothing better about the 2015 units. The avh units got more and better updates than the nex units. The 1700-5700 now have nex gui, 3 way crossovers and updated 1.1 mirrorlink. No 3 way and still mirrorlink 1.0 for new nex.

• 3 weeks later...

The screens had to change to allow multiple touch points so pinch to zoom and similar features would work like your phone. It's not a capacitive vs resistive or screen resolution change, it is merely for better touch control. And all of these units are 800×400 resolution so no, they will never look as good as most high end hd phones do now. Unless you are sold on android auto, or pioneer decides to update features before releasing the new units, there is nothing better about the 2015 units. The avh units got more and better updates than the nex units. The 1700-5700 now have nex gui, 3 way crossovers and updated 1.1 mirrorlink. No 3 way and still mirrorlink 1.0 for new nex.

I feel that wise money waits right now and buys nothing. I regret my NEX purchase. It won't get wireless CarPlay. The display on it sucks. Seriously sucks. Go to one of the larger best buys and play with the alpine ILX-007. The display is much better. You can actually see the album art and it doesn't make those vertical lines that my radio has on the album art. However, even that unit is the same 800x480 display that is no where near as good as the display on my phone.

Parrot is coming out with their new unit that looks to have a 720p display. The specs for making CarPlay headunits came out not too long ago. I have no doubt the parrot will be the only headunit made in the near future with a display better than the garbage everyone is making now, and with wireless CarPlay on the horizon and android auto now coming, and these headunits running for the same price as the very phones that actually run CarPlay and android auto, I'm going to wait until one of these manufacturers gets their head in the game and makes something actually worth spending money one, because the current crop of units are not worth the price being charged for them right now in my opinion.