AVIC411.com

Buy 4000NEX or wait for the 4100NEX

If there is little to no difference in price, I would go with the newer obviously, but if it ended up being 200-300 difference I would either wait and see what all can be done with the 4000 firmware (there will be at least one more revision coming to us to fix things that were promised a year ago... or else class action lawsuit) and potentially the ability to copy the 4100's firmware to the 4000 (if they TRULY are hardware identical) at some point.

What do you think the chances are we'll be able to copy the 4100's firmware to the 4000?  I'd love to have the option of Android Auto or CarPlay on the 4000.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stay away from Pioneer, I will do my homework when I'm ready to buy another one next time.

I'm having an horrendous experience with the product and their customer service.

I bought mine off ebay, so what my deck is still under warranty but they won't honour it since I didn't buy it from an authorize dealer.

I love Apple not just because of their products, also because their customer service, they own their product.

• 2 weeks later...

If there is little to no difference in price, I would go with the newer obviously, but if it ended up being 200-300 difference I would either wait and see what all can be done with the 4000 firmware (there will be at least one more revision coming to us to fix things that were promised a year ago... or else class action lawsuit) and potentially the ability to copy the 4100's firmware to the 4000 (if they TRULY are hardware identical) at some point.

What things were promised a year ago that need fixing? Someone posted about avicsync which is a subscription based service, doesn't sound that great to be honest.

Also, someone on a Subaru forum said you can run the 4100 firmware on the 4000nex but you lose a couple things but they weren't sure what exactly. I installed a 4000nex 5 days ago and it is a little quirky but overall I like it. I found a review on Google and the guy got a 256 GB sdxc card working and since the unit has flac support that provides a ton of lossless audio. I haven't noticed any degradation of music compared to using my cars stock clarion head unit so not sure what Tekki is referring to. I have played music over bluetooth, "ipod" over usb and then also using Carplay "Music" icon, all of them sound just fine/great. The person helping me install the radio even commented on how well the music sounded. My car seems to have pretty decent speakers so i'm sure thats part of it as well.

I just tried googling for that, but couldn't locate it. Do you have a link to this by any chance?

Yes, I posted there because I have just purchased a Subaru and was going through the Car Audio section and found someone else was thinking about buying the unit. You can see his post here http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showpost.php?p=43184112&postcount=16

When I pressed him about where did he read that, he replied with this http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showpost.php?p=43185490&postcount=24

So i guess you just have to take his words for what their worth. I really wish I could do Appradio unchained like a rooted android (control my phone from the touch screen) but we'll never see that with Apple :( I guess all I would really want is Waze, hopefully ios9 brings more CarPlay apps and updates to CarPlay itself.