AVIC411.com

Buy 4000NEX or wait for the 4100NEX

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After a rather disappointing experience with my 8000 (can't listen to bluetooth streaming music while an iPod is hooked up, need to physically disconnect it every time), and it now being obsolete despite the 8100 being seemingly hardware identical, I will personally stay away from Pioneer altogether. But if I had to chose, I'd go with the 4100. 

If there is little to no difference in price, I would go with the newer obviously, but if it ended up being 200-300 difference I would either wait and see what all can be done with the 4000 firmware (there will be at least one more revision coming to us to fix things that were promised a year ago... or else class action lawsuit) and potentially the ability to copy the 4100's firmware to the 4000 (if they TRULY are hardware identical) at some point.

I have been looking at the 6000 or 6100.  The difference is a better screen (which is questionable), a remote, and 3d maps on the 6100 but you lose the micro sd slot in the front. I am looking at the costs more than anything, the micro sd slot is nice to have but not necessary so if the 6000 goes on clearance and the price drops to hopefully $500

I will buy it instead of the 6100.

So there is a difference in the 6000 series hardware wise... no SD slot? That could signal other changes. The 8000 to 8100 looks identical hardware wise from Pioneers spec sheet, perhaps the lower units did not fair as well... this could signal difficulty in OS sharing if it ever becomes a possibility.

So there is a difference in the 6000 series hardware wise... no SD slot? That could signal other changes. The 8000 to 8100 looks identical hardware wise from Pioneers spec sheet, perhaps the lower units did not fair as well... this could signal difficulty in OS sharing if it ever becomes a possibility.

Well when you look at the specs on pioneers website it says it can read from SD but it does not say there is a slot for SD. The 5100/6100 did not get android auto either so it is carplay and appradio only.

Wait! Just wait. Carplay is really cool Android auto is really cool. Your current radio in your car is probably bothering you. However the smart money is waiting right now. 

Every car radio manufacturer has been pumping out the same shitty display for their aftermarket radios since the dawn of time. Finally Parrot is launching a radio with a better 720P display instead of the "800x480 is this display from 10 years ago?" garbage. It is unknown if the Parrot will be a great radio or not. I've heard mixed reviews about their asteroid line. However, what is clear is that finally car companies are starting to upgrade their displays. 

When right now you can buy a Tablet for 300 bucks with 10 times the display quality and interface as any of these headunits, why would you pay money right now for their overpriced junk?

If you can sell head units by the millions (like the tablet market does) prices should drop. Unfortunately the demographic for aftermarket car audio is significantly smaller than that for tablets. Head units will always seem expensive because their production lacks the same economy of scale that more mainstream consumer electronics do.

Those $300 tablets with 10x better screens also don't have to sit for hours and hours in a 140º cars, and still function perfectly. Also, in that (relatively) small after-market stereo demographic, very few will be using the screen for watching HD movies, or reading news articles, or anything that needs 720p, let alone 1080p or 4k. The bulk of the users need a clear display with large text or icons. One of the best screens on the market is the iPad Mini. Have you ever seen one after it's been in a car with the sun hitting it for 6 hours? 

I bought mine weeks after initial release with the expectation everythg worked, I had a z2 that stopped working so it was good timing. After the install i called pioneer about several glitches and was told about a patch and that Avicsync was due out soon, it was waiting for approval from Apple. It never came out as you know. I knew app radio was a bit wonky but I really liked the radio and was willing to sacrifice a while before the patches came. Then they announced CarPlay and I was excited and hopeful but still disappointed with no Avicsync to get the connected services that I was hoping for.

All in all I'm disappointed about not having connected services, and I'm disappointed that when Siri talks she sounds like she's talking through a tin can, really it's that bad with my iPhone 6plus and music does not have the same quality when I have car play enabled, even my installer said the same thing after he heard my system after upgrading to CarPlay.

I returned a 2nd unit I bought after having it for 9 months by calling my credit card and explaining Avicsync and it doesn't work, I got a full refund for it and will buy a unit for my other car, whether its parrot, alpine or even pioneer, i will test a unit to be sure it gives me what I want and what it advertises.

I love the abilities and most implementation of the 8000, bit wish it did what it was advertised to do.

Those $300 tablets with 10x better screens also don't have to sit for hours and hours in a 140º cars, and still function perfectly. Also, in that (relatively) small after-market stereo demographic, very few will be using the screen for watching HD movies, or reading news articles, or anything that needs 720p, let alone 1080p or 4k. The bulk of the users need a clear display with large text or icons. One of the best screens on the market is the iPad Mini. Have you ever seen one after it's been in a car with the sun hitting it for 6 hours?

The fact that parrot is launching a unit with a better display means better displays can be made. Resolution has been stagnant on head units in comparison to tablets phones and computers. Displays on other devices have improved daylight visibility dramatically. It's time for the head units in cars to improve as well.