AVIC411.com

An alternative for iPhone users

Parrot is really intriguing, for sure. If it can do everything they advertise, it will be an amazing device. Maybe too pricey...

I may try the Android stick one day. I'll see how the markets goes. But right now, at -30 celsius outside, it is less appealing to test this in the car...

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let me ask you guys this.  What is the difference between AppRadio, and Mirrorlink?  Won't Mirrorlink do everything you are after?  Project your phone to your screen, allow the use of steering wheel controls, sound system, etc?  It seems to me that is a very viable solution to this.  After reading about all the issues people are having with Siri and Carplay, it looks like you better not count on that feature to be seamless...or even usable in some situations.

Parrot is really intriguing, for sure. If it can do everything they advertise, it will be an amazing device. Maybe too pricey...

I may try the Android stick one day. I'll see how the markets goes. But right now, at -30 celsius outside, it is less appealing to test this in the car...

I think the Android stick is a very viable solution to a lot of things...it just has to have GPS to make it work with a lot of things.  I'll get that happens soon.

My son integrated a Samsung tablet into his CTS-V.  We put in a premium amplifier so whatever he listens to through it sounds incredible.  He has a ton of apps that offer so much.  He can use Google Maps, or whatever else he finds available...but he pretty well sticks with Waze.  It would take me a couple of days to explain all this thing will do.  And it it totally integrated with the vehicle.  Turns on and off with the ignition...will boot on remote start...and will come out of the car with a simple push of a button.  Yet it looks like it came from the factory that way as he built the holder by hand.  It really is an incredible piece of work that offers more than any other system I have ever seen. 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm now using this 1 month and have to say it works flawlessly, next thing I've to do is get the battery backup wired in so when I stop the car for a couple minutes I don't have to reboot. I bought a cheap battery pack but its switched, so just need to try mod that to charge while in use.

But mk809 II works the same with AppRadio Unchained? Costs much less.

I'm sure there are hundreds of different models that work, I just bought the cheapest one with decent reviews I found, which was the mk809iii and was only €35 inc postage.

From reading some reasearch on various forums the stick draws about 2amps when booting up initially but once booted only requires 500ma to stay on, I was looking at something like this

Now the one thing I'm unsure of is if the unit takes a charge while suppling power to the android stick as in does it act like a UPS or do you need to switch it on when you are tuning off the car which would be unresonable, I'm going to buy a cheap chinese €10 one for testing

I'm pulling the trigger on this project since I received my IPhone 5S ($47) from Dealdash factory unlocked and found out I won't be able to downgrade To IOS 6.1.4 as I originally hoped...no ApEx for me! Came across this topic and it looks like a great idea. Other than my sons Tabeo, this will be my intro to the Android world, but it seems somewhat similar to the old Windows Phone hacking community with custom cooked ROMS. I've decided to go with this. I'll post my progress as it comes along.

Thanks for sharing this idea.

I'm really enjoying my radio since installing it, much faster and smoother interface. GPS injection is good too.

So, now that you've had a chance to play with this, is there anything that you would have done differently; i.e. anything that doesn't quite work the way it should or do you think you have the dream setup? I really want to pursue this because it sounds like it could pass the test longer than a Pioneer unit alone could. Basically HU recommendations, android stick recommendations. Thanks.

So, now that you've had a chance to play with this, is there anything that you would have done differently; i.e. anything that doesn't quite work the way it should or do you think you have the dream setup? I really want to pursue this because it sounds like it could pass the test longer than a Pioneer unit alone could. Basically HU recommendations, android stick recommendations. Thanks.

Everything is great, the battery backup is the last piece I need to get setup/working as it is a pain in the ass if you are making a quick stop at the shop and need to wait the 90seconds for the stick to boot when you return to your car. the wifi wasn't great on the stick I bought but I'm handy with a soldering iron so I soldered on a copper wire antenna which fixed that.

Other than that it's given my AR2 a new lease of life and I'm loving it.

You battery back up is a very easy solution.  You can buy 5V voltage regulators all over Amazon.  Good ones.  Some are designed to supply power to a USB port for charging.  I would be shocked if you pay over $10 US.  Next, purchase a TR7 relay...also available from Amazon.  Simply program it to delay shut down to your voltage regulator for a few minutes and you are good to go.  You wire constant battery power to the relay.  You then wire an ignition source to the relay.  Then program the relay to supply power to the regulator any time it sees ignition voltage, and to delay power shut off after ignition voltage disappears.  Piece of cake.  I use these things all the time to solve problems like this.