AVIC411.com

An alternative for iPhone users

Since extensions has been abandoned I'd considered two things.

1. Buy an android phone and use AppRadio Unchained, I actually did this and bought a HTC One M8 but I didn't like the Android system as a phone and decided to sell it and bought a iPhone 5S. 

2. Upgrade my AppRadio 2 to an AppRadio 4, but with mixed reports on the unit/carplay, and the cost envolved.

I decided to try something else before I abandoned my AR2.

I bought a cheap Quad core android HDMI stick for €35 from Amazon. Installed the free version of AppRadio Unchained and paired it with the radio. It gets it's internet through personal hot spot on my iPhone.

I also paired my iPhone 5s with the radio as a special device so I can still make/receive calls through it.

I'll post a video later but it's great, I have all my apps installed on the hdmi stick, spotify, YouTube, Waze, Google maps, etc and I still have the ability to use my iPhone. Its actually easier than using the iPhone with the radio as all I have to do when I get in the car is turn on personal hot spot, I can then leave my phone in my pocket.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This sounds really interesting, could you also exsplain how you install the apps on the stick and a link to the stick you bought as i have just had a quick look and there are all sorts and prices so if i buy the same as you i know that one will be compaible with the unit

I bought the MK809iii hdmi stick on Amazon for €35 inc postage.

The most difficult part is rooting the HDMI stick but I then found a program called Kingo which can pretty much root anything and it's simple to use. You just download the apps from the google play store.

95% of the apps I'd be using while driving are free anyway.

I do intend on installing the pay version of unchained as it includes gps injection so all apps can use the built in antenna for gps

Cheers for that, I think I had better do a  bit more reseach as I can get buy on a PC but not brilliant and dont want to buy yet another thing for my unit that I dont use lol. I purchased the leads for my iphone 5S only to find it was very glychy so bought a second hand Iphone 4S which is jailbroken works far better 

Hi Cathaldub,

So it is your secret weapon you were talking about. Interesting... 

The cost of the dongle here in Canada is around $80, which is not so cheap, so I have to think  :idea: . Should I buy an AR4 and sell my old AR2 to compensate for a part of the trade over, or invest more $$ in the AR2 for a compromise...

One boring fact is that you have to enable the hotspot on the phone each time you want to use it. If there was a way to have an auto connect hotspot like what Apple introduced with iOS8 last summer, that would be nicer.

I have a few questions left in my mind...

What about playing music/podcast from your iPhone to the AR2? I bet you still need to connect the phone in the USB port.

How do you power the Android stick? Where did you find the USB port to power it?

I bet that most apps can be installed from the Google Play store, but you needed to root the device because the Unchained app requires it (based on a few reading on the web, it is not an "official supported app" on Android). 

I hope you get some times to post your video eventually. That could be a good compromise... 

http://www.amazon.ca/MOGOI-MK809III-Quad-core-Rockchip-Accessory/dp/B00N9U50FI/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1421829556&sr=8-11&keywords=mk809

Yep, you've to root the device, takes about 5 minutes using an application called kingo. The app is installed through the play store though.

I used the USB that was on the radio cable for the iPod but you could power it straight off the Cig Lighter too. I do intend to install a small little USB battery pack behind the centre console which charges while the car is on, so it only needs to boot up when this battery dies. I drive the car every day so this battery should never really run out.

I would have bought the AR4 myself but think I'll wait a generation or 2 until the bugs are ironed out. I don't listen to any podcasts myself at the minute but podcast republic will let you listen to apple podcasts, I listen to most my music through Spotify and I also have an iPod in the car too which I can now use the iPod app again.

The pi is too slow and nothing written at present for it

Have not thought about speed, but sure you're right that everything has to be done for it to make it useful.

That's why your solution is a good step in the right direction. It's just missing a few critical points. For instance, if there were a way to stream from an iPhone to it, that would be great.

How long does it takes to boot without a battery backup?

http://www.amazon.ca/MOGOI-MK809III-Quad-core-Rockchip-Accessory/dp/B00N9U50FI/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1421829556&sr=8-11&keywords=mk809

Yep, you've to root the device, takes about 5 minutes using an application called kingo. The app is installed through the play store though.

I used the USB that was on the radio cable for the iPod but you could power it straight off the Cig Lighter too. I do intend to install a small little USB battery pack behind the centre console which charges while the car is on, so it only needs to boot up when this battery dies. I drive the car every day so this battery should never really run out.

I would have bought the AR4 myself but think I'll wait a generation or 2 until the bugs are ironed out. I don't listen to any podcasts myself at the minute but podcast republic will let you listen to apple podcasts, I listen to most my music through Spotify and I also have an iPod in the car too which I can now use the iPod app again.

I was also considering jumping ship from an ios to an android phone due to my buggy AR3 with ios8.  This may be a good alternative....

I noticed that there are various MK809iii hdmi sticks on Amazon.ca and other sites.  Should we be looking for any particular model to mate with AR3 & ARU-R?

Some mention "newest model" with android versions ranging from 4.1 to 4.4.2?

Also , if I intend to use my iphone 5 as the internet hotspot would I need any additional connectors?

I suspect that the MK809iii will sit on my glove box and connect to my AR3 Android usb and HDMI connections.  Will that power the the MK809iii?

I think I'm ready to give this a try - just want to ensure that I order the correct bits ;)

Thanks for sharing Cathaldub!

Have not thought about speed, but sure you're right that everything has to be done for it to make it useful.

That's why your solution is a good step in the right direction. It's just missing a few critical points. For instance, if there were a way to stream from an iPhone to it, that would be great.

How long does it takes to boot without a battery backup?

90seconds until its ready and streaming a sing through spotify

I was also considering jumping ship from an ios to an android phone due to my buggy AR3 with ios8.  This may be a good alternative....

I noticed that there are various MK809iii hdmi sticks on Amazon.ca and other sites.  Should we be looking for any particular model to mate with AR3 & ARU-R?

Also , if I intend to use my iphone 5 as the internet hotspot would I need any additional connectors?

I suspect that the MK809iii will sit on my glove box and connect to my AR3 Android usb and HDMI connections.  Will that power the the MK809iii?

I think I'm ready to give this a try - just want to ensure that I order the correct bits ;)

Thanks for sharing Cathaldub!

Thats' exactly what I am doing, any of the MK809iii model sticks will do, some of them have better wifi/bluetooth chips and can run alternative firmwares/roms, I think the one I have is the undesirable one as its the least supported one.

You can power the MK809 from the usb on the ipod cable on the AR2/3, the HDMI plugs straight into the radio with a standard hdmi cable

the only thing you might need which is not included is one of these, they are about $2-$5 on amazon

C0023-223.jpg

ninja98r, you probably missed it but the link is in the post you quoted :-)

$60 Canadian, not too bad...

Hi meall,

I did indeed check out that link but noticed that there are various android versions on the market.

The link Cathaldub provided was android 4.1 while others range up to android 4.4.2.

http://www.amazon.ca/RK3188-Android-Cortex-MK809-Bluetooth/dp/B00OL7N6QI/ref=sr_1_5?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1421856409&sr=1-5&keywords=MK809III