AVIC411.com

Nex 8000 Screen Scratch

Maybe. They would only have to replace the plastic resistive touch surface. Also my screen can come out of the car. I should check with the audio shop by my house. 

the whole removable screen is 170.00 not available until 2/20/2015

http://parts.pioneerelectronics.com/part.asp?productNum=CXE6932

The touchscreen 45.00 

http://parts.pioneerelectronics.com/part.asp?productNum=CSX1194

Thank you! I don't know how I would go about ordering the part, but I've taken the display assembly apart before and it's pretty easy to get the screen off. Guess about 60 bucks (including shipping/taxes or whatever) would be what it would cost to fix my scratch. Not bad at all. 

Wow, thanks Joemamma. That's really helpful information -- didn't realize the screen could be ordered directly. I don't have a scratch, but I worry with the constant removal of the screen assembly that it will eventually break. A few times I've already had issues with the screen making proper contact, although it may have been weather related.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 years later...
On 1/24/2015 at 10:22 PM, joemamma1954 said:

the whole removable screen is 170.00 not available until 2/20/2015

http://parts.pioneerelectronics.com/part.asp?productNum=CXE6932

The touchscreen 45.00 

http://parts.pioneerelectronics.com/part.asp?productNum=CSX1194

fuuudge,  the 4660-nex just shows "TBD" and out of stock for the screen, I put two big scratches in it while installing, like an idiot.  I made sure to tape over anything sharp and everything, and then left my eye glasses in the little holder under the deck while I had it dangling down on top of them and didn't realize it and I was popping the car into reverse and back to find the 6v backup camera power and it slid across the corner of my collapsed glasses (i know it doesn't seem possible) and scratched it in two places.  Before I start wetsanding and get out the buffer and try to fix it, I'd like to know how much it costs to replace.

How do I get ahold of pioneer support?

so I was able to wet sand down with 2000 grit and then buff out with a wool pad the the scratches and it had no impact on the screen functionality.  the screen is comprised of multiple top layers though and the transition is clearly marked between the layers. and I'm going to have to take the entire screen down a couple of layers where the deepest scratch was or else there is going to be a ring around where the layers merge.  I'll try to get some pictures on here soon.  the scratches were deep enough to get my fingernail into them lol so I said f it and went for it.  the 3 inch drill attached polishing kit is coming is coming in Tuesday for me to wets and the rest of the screen so I don't have a ring. so once I get everything done I will give pictures of everything. if I was going to send it in to get replaced anyways I figured what could it hurt. 

I basically thought about every capacitive screen I have ever worked on in phones before.  it would be nearly impossible to get through the outer layers and down into the capacitive electronics that are always on the back side.  really pissed at pioneer for how soft they made the outside though.  even low quality glass would have been better. for 600 bucks it should be even 1st gen gorilla glass wtf. 

so don't do this for deep scratches, you will get down to a layer that is unpolishable compared to the top layers and has a definitive transition between the layers causing a ring.  the two spots I had deep gouges have sanding scratches that will not come out because I had to go about the depth of half a penny?  that's the best way I can describe how deep it was.  

it should be noted I sanded the entire screen and the rest of it polished up fine, the two circular parts you can see in the photo in the center bottom will not polish.   if you look at an angle this is because the top of it is polished and the sanding scratches permeated to the layer below the top polished layer so when looking at an angle it is glass smooth and polished, in sunlight the scratches appear.   and sorry I didn't even clean it up. that's not a scratch on the top in the sun that's just scratch and swirl remover leftover. 

So light scratches.... absolutely just get a orbital polishing kit and some 2500grit sandpaper and scratch and swirl remover and go at it.  it polishes up fine and has no effect on the digitizer. 

deep scratches... , pioneer shipped me a replacement for 100 bucks.. if I knew it was this cheap and easy I wouldn't have wasted time polishing. lol.  I will make a YouTube video of the replacement process.   I have already disassembled and reassembled the deck and it's stupid easy, 6 screws paying careful attention to the ribbon connectors (and the lenses for the side led and ir).  I'll explain it all.  no need to pay a pioneer service center, although I assume it voids the warranty somehow if you work on it yourself. 

20201022_094301.jpg