AVIC411.com

iPhone 6, Carplay, and Waze

Folks, do these all play well together?  I am looking at trying out an iPhone 6 (yea...I know...I can't believe it either)  I have been using ARU Reloaded with an Android phone and it works...but it's now what I would call seamless.  I think that Pioneer caters to iPhone, so I have a feeling Carplay will work better for me.  Besides, I hated losing my voice activated phone from my Z2.  (incredibly stupid Pioneer)

What about things like iHeart radio, Sirrius, etc?  Do those work with the iPhone and Carplay? 

Thanks in advance for your input.

It's very disappointing how they limit the apps you can use.  So I take it Waze won't work? 

It sounds like AR Unchained Reloaded and Android is the best way to go if you want the most flexibility.

I did look online at Apple Maps and they do appear to be a huge upgrade to what we get on the Nex.  Man...that software is just pathetic.

I assume (and that could be a huge ass mistake) that an iPhone 8 with iOS 8 will work with the Nex 8000 (with firmware update)?  And does anyone know what connection cable will be used?  Lightning, USB, ?? 

Thanks again folks.  Since I'm going to buy this phone outright, it's a big investment.

One other question...

Let's say I'm using Maps with Carplay on my iPhone and I want to listen to Sirrius/XM radio at the same time.  I can do that with an Android phone attached...Pioneer has a way for that to happen.  You can actually listen to just about any other a/v source and still use AppRadio.  Can you do the same with Carplay?

Waze works fine with AppRadioLive.

For the CBS News, is there a special app that works with CarPlay? I have the one just labeled CBS News and it does not show up on my CarPlay. I read every build on the app, and no where did it state that it works with CarPlay. But yet some say it does.

Thanks

Phil

Ok to clear some things up. 

Currently there are 3 kinds of carplay scenarios. 

1. Carplay second display mode. Currently Apple only. Custom interface created by the phone customized for the app. This is how all the apple first party apps work with the exception of the podcasts app. 

2. Carplay media player apps. These send data to some kind of carplay music app that the phone has. The interface for all these apps is the same. The best way to understand this is that it is a kind of media remote control for your open app. It can read metadata from the app, scan playlists, artists saved, whatever, and the developer can create custom buttons for the app media control app if they wish, like in iHeartRadio you have a like this song, and a bookmark button. In the podcasts app you can go back and forth by 30 seconds. 

3. non supported app control. This only allows for play/pause and fast forward/rewind. Any non supported media app of any kind uses this. No custom API required. 

Few other things. 

1. Any sound coming from your phone will go through carplay. 

2. Your phone is not locked out while using carplay. So that means...

3. You can run ANY unsupported app while in carplay, including waze and google maps, but they will not display on the headunit. They will however send their audio through the car speakers, use the car microphone, and display on the iPhone if they are the active app on screen. 

4. Apple has not yet opened the APIs to allow more powerful apps to be used in carplay, but when the original iPhone launched the only apps they ever allowed were Web apps until they had a good plan forward. So I doubt this situation is forever. 

5. Any audio source can be used at the same time as carplay that is supported on the iPhone with only one exception and that is bluetooth audio. It is disabled on the Pioneer while in carplay. However, the USB 2 can accept another iPhone or android device, the HDMI port works, as does the aux or any other port, or the HD radio or the Satellite radio if you have that module for your Pioneer.

6. To do this simply press the home button on the Pioneer, or the virtual one in carplay and then the Pioneer button on the display, and then from the source menu click the audio source you want to listen to. You can also go back to carplay to use apple maps check your messages or take phone calls. The Pioneer radio will happily mix all sources together. You can even hot swap between the control interface and Carplay by pressing the mode button. 

7. This also works in Reverse. If you have a NAV unit (5000-8100) you can run the built in Nav while using carplay to control your phone music and whatnot. Again the headunit happily mixes all sources. 

Hope all this info Helps! :) 

Wow!  Thank you for the great info!

A couple things I didn't realize.  One, you can run Waze on your iphone and Nex if you are using AppRadio Live instead of Carplay...if I understood everyone correctly.

Two...you can have Google Maps on your iPhone??  I didn't realize this was possible due to the hatred between the two companies.  If you can have Google Maps and Waze, will Chrome run on it as well?  That may be a stretch...  :) 

I've just about made up my mind.  Right now, I'm down to a Samsung S5 and an iPhone 6. 

I have to admit...that really surprises me.

Well, to be fair, it does have a couple drawbacks:

1) It uses WebKit on iOS like Safari. So you mostly use Chrome for the UI, and syncing of bookmarks with Google's servers. Not because the rendering of pages is any different or faster.

2) It can't be used as the default browser. So apps that want to send you to Chrome when you click a link need to specifically support it.

• 1 year later...

Ok to clear some things up. 

Currently there are 3 kinds of carplay scenarios. 

1. Carplay second display mode. Currently Apple only. Custom interface created by the phone customized for the app. This is how all the apple first party apps work with the exception of the podcasts app. 

2. Carplay media player apps. These send data to some kind of carplay music app that the phone has. The interface for all these apps is the same. The best way to understand this is that it is a kind of media remote control for your open app. It can read metadata from the app, scan playlists, artists saved, whatever, and the developer can create custom buttons for the app media control app if they wish, like in iHeartRadio you have a like this song, and a bookmark button. In the podcasts app you can go back and forth by 30 seconds. 

3. non supported app control. This only allows for play/pause and fast forward/rewind. Any non supported media app of any kind uses this. No custom API required. 

Few other things. 

1. Any sound coming from your phone will go through carplay. 

2. Your phone is not locked out while using carplay. So that means...

3. You can run ANY unsupported app while in carplay, including waze and google maps, but they will not display on the headunit. They will however send their audio through the car speakers, use the car microphone, and display on the iPhone if they are the active app on screen. 

4. Apple has not yet opened the APIs to allow more powerful apps to be used in carplay, but when the original iPhone launched the only apps they ever allowed were Web apps until they had a good plan forward. So I doubt this situation is forever. 

5. Any audio source can be used at the same time as carplay that is supported on the iPhone with only one exception and that is bluetooth audio. It is disabled on the Pioneer while in carplay. However, the USB 2 can accept another iPhone or android device, the HDMI port works, as does the aux or any other port, or the HD radio or the Satellite radio if you have that module for your Pioneer.

6. To do this simply press the home button on the Pioneer, or the virtual one in carplay and then the Pioneer button on the display, and then from the source menu click the audio source you want to listen to. You can also go back to carplay to use apple maps check your messages or take phone calls. The Pioneer radio will happily mix all sources together. You can even hot swap between the control interface and Carplay by pressing the mode button. 

7. This also works in Reverse. If you have a NAV unit (5000-8100) you can run the built in Nav while using carplay to control your phone music and whatnot. Again the headunit happily mixes all sources. 

Hope all this info Helps! :)

Only one navigation option can run at a time. If you're using NEX navigation, and switch to CarPlay Maps, NEX will cancel the route. Same vice versa. I found this to be a really well thought out function/behavior. There are times I'm using NEX navigation but I want to switch to CarPlay Maps as I enter a large city, and I just tell SIRI where I want to go, and it'll cancel the NEX navigation and take you right into CarPlay Maps.

Waze works fine with AppRadioLive.

For the CBS News, is there a special app that works with CarPlay? I have the one just labeled CBS News and it does not show up on my CarPlay. I read every build on the app, and no where did it state that it works with CarPlay. But yet some say it does.

Thanks

Phil

@philfrompa Your post made me download and launch AppRadio Live for the first time, but I have no clue how it works. I created and account, logged in and all I see is a black window with two buttons: settings and help. Is my assumption correct that I need to plugin my iPhone for this app to work?

How do you get Waze to work?