AVIC411.com

Wireless CarPlay

Lets not get too down on Pioneer so quickly on yet another "last minute feature".

At this point we dont know if Carplay Wireless will work over bluetooth. All of the breakdowns of our unit never revealed a WIFI chip, so if it needs WIFI AND Bluetooth (like Apples AirPlay does) then we wont have a critical physical component... despite "pioneer software delayed / forgotten customer" et all...

I can tell you, from using AirPlay a lot, that battery life is NOT what youd hope for when road tripping. I am currently happy that my phone gets a charge WHILE being plugged in... and if I have to plug it in to keep it charged while using a wireless Carplay... whats the point?

The only real advantage I see here is for short trips where battery drain wont be noticed, and for backseat riders that cant reach the USB in the front seat that would normally supply Carplay video (such as in a minivan/van).

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So who else is upset after spending money on a fancy NEX-8000?

http://9to5mac.com/2015/02/09/ios-8-3-brings-wireless-carplay-to-the-iphone/

I heard from the grapevine this is a Bluetooth function, and CarPlay head units could potentially get a firmware update to enable. I couldnt get any more info, neither from the Apple contacts I know who have access to CarPlay API nor from Pioneer where I have no contacts.

I'm hoping iOS 8.3 offers more feature updates to CarPlay. I honestly don't care about the wirrless feature. I'm more interested in current/max speeds and other useful features.

Apple needs to fix the Bluetooth connectivity on the phones. I have an iPhone 6 and its a pain to get it to connect to my 2010 Ford Factory radio. Had no problems with previous OS versions. I too hope 8.3 fixes the Bluetooth issues. When I use the CarPlay in the car where the 6000NEX is installed I use the FireWire. No issues at all. Just wish there were more compatible apps. That will come me with time, and Pioneer needs to keep our units compatible with the newer OS and future CarPlay updates. I know...not a lot of faith there. Ha

I heard from the grapevine this is a Bluetooth function, and CarPlay head units could potentially get a firmware update to enable. I couldnt get any more info, neither from the Apple contacts I know who have access to CarPlay API nor from Pioneer where I have no contacts.

I'm hoping iOS 8.3 offers more feature updates to CarPlay. I honestly don't care about the wirrless feature. I'm more interested in current/max speeds and other useful features.

I highly doubt this. the only way bluetooth 4.0 can even do close to a high speed transfer is actually by using the bluetooth connection to set up a temporary adhock WiFi network between the devices. Bluetooth itself just doesn't have the bandwidth. 

I meant current/max driving speed

I did't read that second paragraph. However, what I'm saying is that wireless carplay cannot be a bluetooth function. It just doesn't have the bandwidth. 

The maps app definitely needs some serious updates for live traffic rerouting and for speed based display of the map zoom. 

• 1 month later...

I've been picking through the compiled 4100 firmware files, specifically PLATFORM/PJ140PLT.PRG with a text editor (TextWrangler) and there is some tidbits that might fuel your speculation.  There is code about wifi/sofmac and then there is this:

system/extend/extmodule/dioclient/Sources/AirPlayNTPClient.cBad family: %##aStarted   %p to %##a from %##a
Negotiating time with %##a
### Negotiate send to %##a failed (%d): %#m
### Negotiate wait for %##a failed (%d, %d): %#m
### Negotiate recv failed (%d, %d): %#m
### Negotiate with %##a failed: %d, %d, %d, %d
Successfully negotiated time with %##a
### Negotiate with %##a failed: G=%d, B=%d, S=%d, R=%d, T=%d
### NTP client start with %##a failed: %#m
AirPlayNTPClientStatAirPlayNTPClientCoreHID stopping
HID report from %@: %.3H
### HID device event failed: %#m
PCM/8000/16/2PCM/8000/16/1PCM/16000/16/1PCM/16000/16/2PCM/24000/16/1PCM/24000/16/2PCM/32000/16/1PCM/32000/16/2PCM/44100/16/1PCM/44100/16/2PCM/44100/24/1PCM/44100/24/2PCM/48000/16/1PCM/48000/16/2PCM/48000/24/1PCM/48000/24/2ALAC/44100/16/2ALAC/44100/24/2ALAC/48000/16/2ALAC/48000/24/2AAC-LC/44100/2AAC-LC/48000/2AAC-ELD/44100/2AAC-ELD/48000/2Main audio setting up %s for %@, input %s, loopback %s, volume %s
AirPlayAudioMainMain audio torn down
Alt audio setting up %s
AirPlayAudioAltAlt audio torn down
### Main audio start failed: %#m
### Alt audio start failed: %#m
### Unsupported stream type %d
system/extend/extmodule/dioclient/Sources/AirPlayReceiverPOSIX.cBad event type: %uHID stopped
AudioLatencies = %@
Ducking audio to %f within %f seconds
Delegating ducking of audio to %f within %f seconds
Unducking audio within %f seconds
Delegating unducking of audio within %f seconds
HID started
### HID start failed: %#m
### Report HID device %d of %d failed: %#m
AirPlayReceiverPlatform### Wrote type for AirPlay setting '%@': '%@'
system/extend/extmodule/dioclient/Sources/AirPlayUtils.cBad borrow/unborrow constraint%s%lluAirPlayStreamKeyAirPlayStreamIVDefault### %s: Buffering issues during session: Late=%u Missing=%u Gaps=%u Rebuffers=%u
%s: Starting audio in %u ms
%s: Buffering complete, %d ms (%d), %llu ticks late
%s: Late: %d ms (%u total)
%s: Skip: %d ms (%u total)
%s: Gap:  %d ms (%u total)
%s: Re-buffering: %d ms buffered (%d), %d ms missing (%d), %u total)
AirPlayJitterBuffer:rate=3;1000AirPlayJitterBuffer--daemon### Run as daemon failed: %d-iNo interface specified with -i
-VAirPlay version %s
warning: unknown option '%s'
AirPlayMainAirPlayReceiverSessionScreen### Sender went dead. Stopping.
system/extend/extmodule/dioclient/Sources/AirPlayReceiverSessionScreen.cmalloc( %zu ) failed
Late frame (%lld ms, %u total late frames): %.3H ... %.3H
### Unknown screen opcode: %u
### Process frame error (%u): %#m
User quit event received
Stop event received for session %u
### Unknown pipe action: '%c'
AirPlayReceiverSessionScreenFrames:rate=5;3000AirPlayReceiverSessionScreenFramesAirPlayReceiverSessionScreenCoreAirPlayClock### Can't get interface's %s info: err = %d; killing session.
### Interface %s is not running; killing session.
### Interface %s is inactive; killing session.
RTSP/1.0X-Apple-ProtocolVersion%u### Get info failed: %#m, %#m
OPTIONSPOST/feedbackX-Apple-Device-ID%llxX-Apple-Client-NamePublicANNOUNCE, SETUP, RECORD, PAUSE, FLUSH, TEARDOWN, OPTIONS, GET_PARAMETER, SET_PARAMETER, POST, GETSET_PARAMETERsystem/extend/extmodule/dioclient/Sources/AirTunesServer.cSET_PARAMETER not allowed before SETUPtext/parametersBad parameter: '%.*s'Unknown parameter: '%.*s'### Set property '%@' failed: %#m, %#m
Bad Content-Type: '%.*s'GET_PARAMETERGET_PARAMETER not allowed before SETUPNo Content-Type headernamename: %s

RECORDRecord
RECORD not allowed before SETUPX-Apple-DurationsbcauansassSETUP### Setup denied because playback is not allowed
Setup
Denying interruption from %##a due to %##a
*** Hijacking connection %##a for %##a
Closing  connection from %##a to %##a
### Bad ET: %d
### Setup session failed: %#m
Bad setup URL '%.*s'TEARDOWNTeardown %?@
/log### Rejecting log request from non-internal build
/info### Unsupported GET: '%.*s'
/auth-setupMFi
application/octet-stream/command### Command '%@' failed: %#m, %#m
/diag-info### Feedback failed: %#m, %#m
Bad POST: '%.*s'Bad method: %.*sServerAirTunes/%sYjM5ODQ4MDE0MmI3YTI4ZmQ1MzdjNGIxMDVmNzYxMDg=WWW-AuthenticateDigest realm="airplay", nonce="%s"%.*sAirTunesServerQueue### Failure: %#m
*** ALLOW PLAYBACK ***
*** PREVENT PLAYBACK ***
AirTunesServerHTTPAirTunesServerCoreAirPlay session ended: Dur=%{dur} Reason=%#m
%.*s
%s: Estimated rate: %.3f
### screen start failed: %#m
AirPlayScreenReceiverscreen receiver started
Screen thread exit
### NTP send request failed: %#m
system/extend/extmodule/dioclient/Sources/AirPlayReceiverSession.cBad size: %zu < %zuBad version: %dWrong packet type: %d### Large clock sync RTT %f, Avg %f, Min %f, Max %f, Offset %f
Replaced large clock sync RTT with %f, offset %f
### Idle for %llu seconds
Idle timeout after %d seconds with no audio
screen receiver torn down
qTiming finalized
AirPlayTimeSyncClientTiming thread starting
select() error: %#mTiming thread exit
AirPlayAudioReceiverMainAltAudio thread starting
### Process main audio error: %#m
%s audio thread exit
%s audio torn down
Control torn down
{%kO=%i%kO=%O}Tearing down session %llu with %##a %?@

Now this might be all generic OS stuff, but finding references to AirPlay is a bit surprising.

i am running 8.3 beta and can say that carplay wireless does not work.i have the NEX8000...the response time and stability of carplay has improved significantly. you no longer have to unlock your phone to allow carplay to start on the unit..Bluetooth connectivity and sound is sharp and clear..they are improving just at a slow rate lol..

i am running 8.3 beta and can say that carplay wireless does not work.i have the NEX8000...the response time and stability of carplay has improved significantly. you no longer have to unlock your phone to allow carplay to start on the unit..Bluetooth connectivity and sound is sharp and clear..they are improving just at a slow rate lol..

Any improvements to the Maps app in CarPlay? Does it now show current/max speed?

Just to be clear with everyone because I've seen this a few times said in different threads. Carplay does NOT use bluetooth. At all. Everything comes from the USB port. Wireless carplay may use the bluetooth but signs for that point more to wifi in the car which is why the NEX units cannot do it. The Alpine might, but it's unlikely.