AVIC411.com

Wireless CarPlay

Just to be clear with everyone because I've seen this a few times said in different threads. Carplay does NOT use bluetooth. At all. Everything comes from the USB port. Wireless carplay may use the bluetooth but signs for that point more to wifi in the car which is why the NEX units cannot do it. The Alpine might, but it's unlikely. 

Carplay uses bluetooth for phone calls

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Carplay uses bluetooth for phone calls

No. It goes through usb. Give it a try. Unpair your Bluetooth on your phone and turn off Bluetooth and erase your phone on your radio and then plug your phone into CarPlay. Once it's connected, make a call. Notice it still works. No Bluetooth. All from the usb direct connect.

CarPlay Mode : Does not use bluetooth in any way, just as Dannyz3343 said ( and countless others). All audio and video is routed over the lightening/USB connection.

Siri Eyes Free Mode : Only uses bluetooth, is NOT connected physically in any way to the head unit. You lose CarPlay video on your screen, but siri still works along with a special "car mode" voice command set that is not active when Siri cant detect your head unit. Other Siri Eyes Free compatible apps work with Siri to provide additional information via voice only.

I am guessing that there needs to be a firmware upgrade to use wireless. I bet the x100 will get it but not the U.S. First gen.

Boo!

from what I've seen the NEX radios don't have the hardware (wifi) to be able to do wireless carplay. 

Apple needs to fix the Bluetooth connectivity on the phones. I have an iPhone 6 and its a pain to get it to connect to my 2010 Ford Factory radio. Had no problems with previous OS versions. I too hope 8.3 fixes the Bluetooth issues. When I use the CarPlay in the car where the 6000NEX is installed I use the FireWire. No issues at all. Just wish there were more compatible apps. That will come me with time, and Pioneer needs to keep our units compatible with the newer OS and future CarPlay updates. I know...not a lot of faith there. Ha

I had the same problem forever.  I finally bit the bullet and did a full restore without using a back up, which was what apple told me to do months ago. No bluetooth issues anymore with the car, with my garmin devices, or anything.  So I suggest that.