AVIC411.com

Wireless CarPlay

found this on techcrunch talking about 8.3 beta.  http://techcrunch.com/2015/02/09/ios-8-3-beta-arrives-with-wireless-carplay-support/

I wonder why that option isn't showing up to pair.  I would figure that, even if it needed adhoc wifi that the NEX doesn't have, the option would be their to pair.  Even though it will fail.  

So the question is, why isn't there an option for wireless under carplay.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly, nothing beats a good layer 1 connection.  With a cable plugged in, things are more reliable and your iPhone's battery stays charged.  I seriously can't help but wonder how much of a toll wireless CarPlay must be on an iPhone's battery.

It would be more convenient to have wireless carplay but....I'm happy with using the cable.

Honestly, nothing beats a good layer 1 connection.  With a cable plugged in, things are more reliable and your iPhone's battery stays charged.  I seriously can't help but wonder how much of a toll wireless CarPlay must be on an iPhone's battery.

It would be more convenient to have wireless carplay but....I'm happy with using the cable.

Me too, just like I prefer Ethernet over Wi-Fi, latency is a bucket full of pain.

The only change I have found is CarPlay connection (via USB) while the iPhone is locked. Better than nothing, I guess.

This is actually a significant change, some of us are required by Exchange policies to have a passcode and having to constantly unlock the phone every time you plugged it in was incredibly annoying.

I'm guessing you mean pre Touch ID.

No, either way. I've always had TouchID. I have my phone plugged into the console, so unlocking it either via fingerprint or passcode is highly inconvenient. It also makes zero sense as a security feature. Is a thief with a Carplay system going to steal my locked phone just so he can plug it into his own Carplay system and access nothing but my text messages or music?

True!  But, for a quick run to the store etc, it would be nice not to have to plug in the phone and have it connect immediately when HU starts up.

Ok folks, when I had iOS 8.3 beta on my 6plus. Wireless Car Play was an option under Settings---> General---> CarPlay. Now that I have the final release, the same that you all have. That option is now gone.

So I guess wireless CarPlay isn't here yet.

KOT

This is not a new occurrence. Apple has done this in the past with things like multifinger gestures on the iPad coming out in the iOS5 beta but it not being a feature till iOS 6. It just means that a feature that isn't ready slipped through the cracks but is coming in the future. It just isn't ready yet. 

Regardless NEX radios lack the necessary hardware and will not have the feature. 

This is not a new occurrence. Apple has done this in the past with things like multifinger gestures on the iPad coming out in the iOS5 beta but it not being a feature till iOS 6. It just means that a feature that isn't ready slipped through the cracks but is coming in the future. It just isn't ready yet. 

Regardless NEX radios lack the necessary hardware and will not have the feature. 

Yea, sounds like they had to ship it so that may have dropped for now. I'm not really interested in wireless CarPlay. My phone is always plugged in when I'm in the car. It's a habit I'm happy to have. Throughout the day, never plugged in, never lose power. In the car, plugged in, charging, ready for the evening.

The alert muting on my AVIC-5000NEX got whacked, resetting alert level doesn't seem to work, as the volume for, say, radio/iTunes, stays at the same level. Doesn't seem to be related to the iOS 8.3 update.

Also, when I drove home tonight I turned off my headlights. So the head unit display got bright. I was surprised to see the album cover art on the tune that was playing. Maybe they're trying to address that too? Seems like they improved it. Um, if you're driving at night without headlights on. <rolls-eyes>

CarPlay aside, a very solid update...kudos to Apple!

Don

Here's a question for those who say the hardware isn't there.

I remember when Apple TV 2 came out. It was torn apart and each chip was labeled and what not. About a year or more later, after going through a few small updates and a major update. Like from iOS 7.0.1 to 7.0.2 for the small but then to iOS 8 for major. That when there was s small update, iOS 8.1, all of sudden the Apple TV can support Blue Tooth, why you ask? So a blue tooth keyboard can be used on it.

So why over a year and half, no one knew there was a BT chip inside the second gen ATV?

KOT

Here's a question for those who say the hardware isn't there.

I remember when Apple TV 2 came out. It was torn apart and each chip was labeled and what not. About a year or more later, after going through a few small updates and a major update. Like from iOS 7.0.1 to 7.0.2 for the small but then to iOS 8 for major. That when there was s small update, iOS 8.1, all of sudden the Apple TV can support Blue Tooth, why you ask? So a blue tooth keyboard can be used on it.

So why over a year and half, no one knew there was a BT chip inside the second gen ATV?

KOT

The apple tv always had the chip in it but Apple wasn't using it yet. This is similar to the Alpine ILX-007. It actually has a wifi AND a bluetooth chip on its board with the necessary antennas to boot but it isn't yet using those chips in its software. That radio has a chance of getting an update. However I have  a feeling Alpine will pull a Pioneer and give wireless carplay to the ILX-007.001 radio next year if you get my drift. 

In general, plugging in isn't that big of a deal, but it would be nice to not have to. For convenience, I wish I could rig up some kind of stable docking station in my car, but haven't been able to figure that out yet. As it is, I've run the NEX carplay USB to a socket in my glove compartment and plug in there. Don't want messy wires laid out inside my car.

One place where it gets inconvenient is when I'm doing drive-thru at Starbucks. I pay via my SB iPhone app, so I have to unplug, disrupting the podcast or music I'm currently listening to until I switch over to Bluetooth. Luckily, I don't do Starbucks drive-thrus very often. If I was an Apple Pay user and did a lot of drive thru business, that could be tiring.

-Z