AVIC411.com

So...MirrorLink...

First, don't listen Pioneer and think you need to buy a special USB cable to get MirrorLink to work. You don't.

Second: I finally discovered why MirrorLink wasn't doing anything between the Note 4 and the 8000Nex when I would plug in the Note 4 and the phone would say it's connecting to the head unit via MirrorLink.....there's a whopping 1 app actually supports it...barely, and that app is Aupeo. With Aupeo installed and the 8000Nex set to Other phone and USB, it will activate MirrorLink and when you select the Apps mode on the 8000, Aupeo shows up as an icon without needing to run AppRadio, and selecting it brings up its radio UI. However, there's no audio. I've tried multiple mode changes and nothing appears to fix it, so there's no indication what's causing the lack of audio; the app, the phone, or the radio. At least this shows that if devs would add MirrorLink support to their apps they will work and would make up for the lack of Android Auto on the 2014 line, but there's no indication that's going to happen, especially if Android Auto uses a different means of piping apps to the car stereo. 

Wait! I found another one. Parkopedia, an app to find available parking nearby. However, to use the MirrorLink functions you need to subscribe to their service.

I had read that Glypse was also supposed to be MirrorLink enabled, but it doesn't show up as an available app. Here's what the Apps menu looks like with MirrorLink mode.

IMG_0024.JPG

• 2 months later...

First, don't listen Pioneer and think you need to buy a special USB cable to get MirrorLink to work. You don't.

Second: I finally discovered why MirrorLink wasn't doing anything between the Note 4 and the 8000Nex when I would plug in the Note 4 and the phone would say it's connecting to the head unit via MirrorLink.....there's a whopping 1 app actually supports it...barely, and that app is Aupeo. With Aupeo installed and the 8000Nex set to Other phone and USB, it will activate MirrorLink and when you select the Apps mode on the 8000, Aupeo shows up as an icon without needing to run AppRadio, and selecting it brings up its radio UI. However, there's no audio. I've tried multiple mode changes and nothing appears to fix it, so there's no indication what's causing the lack of audio; the app, the phone, or the radio. At least this shows that if devs would add MirrorLink support to their apps they will work and would make up for the lack of Android Auto on the 2014 line, but there's no indication that's going to happen, especially if Android Auto uses a different means of piping apps to the car stereo. 

So if we ever wanted to use MirrorLink, we would need someone to come up with something like DriveLink for the old Samsung phones for it to work. At least it shows that you can run MirrorLink anything from a modern Samsung phone. I'd like to have this option, especially in place of Android Auto, in case Google can't get it to work with every phone (thanks, Verizon), or for those who are on older head units. I'd like to have an option where you don't need to root to use Google Maps in the freakin car.

mirror link, app radio, carplay, What a Joke. None of them work worth a darn. That is reliably. After purchasing all these cables, mhl adapters, apple a/v adapters, etc. I am resigned to Bluetooth phone, sdcard for movies, ssd for music, navi add-on for navigation and am happy with it. If i want pandora i plug into usb1 with my iPhone, otherwise it is plugged into car charger. All I want is to be able to plug my phone into the nex, and it take full control of it, and have everything  available on the head unit. But that will probably never happen, and if it does, it will be someone hacking the firmware and jailbreaking the iPhone, or rooting the android.  I am glad I did not buy my NEX for any of those things, but i have tried iPhone jailbroken and not, Samsung 5s with kitkat, then lollipop, rooted with A/R unchained(which worked the best),  Just my Opinion.