AVIC411.com

Volume for Messages and Phone apps and all other Carplay apps

Once you click to adjust volume, you will see an alerts button on the end ov the volume bar.   Click on that and see if it is set to zero.  It is a nice feature once you realize it is there becasue it lets you independently set the alerts volume (like map directions) fromyour music volume etc.,  

In my experience with CarPlay, the "Alerts" volume is just for maps. To adjust Siri or call volume, you have to use your head unit's volume control while there should be sound, like when Siri is talking (or maybe when you're on a call - haven't tried that). At any other time, the volume control adjusts the media (music) volume. 

There is no on screen display that lets you know what volume you're adjusting. I just learned this by trial and error. Unfortunately, there is no CarPlay manual, nor are there a "settings" menu, which would be nice to have. I hope Apple tweaks this in an update. 

I have tried adjusting the volume in a call absolutely no sound, I don't recall ever touching the volume settings! Thanks for the suggestion.

Same thing happened to me when all of a sudden Siri and call volume went mute (I had made no adjustments as far as I knew). I must have inadvertently toggled the volume control down while Siri was talking. That's the only way i can make sense of it. 

Perhaps it can't be adjusted in-call. it should work if you just press the Siri button and turn the volume up while she's asking "what can I help you with?" (or whatever she says). Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

Update!!

Suddenly carplay starting to work, apparently it has something to do with the Navigation.

I have noticed if the navi doesn't work so does the carplay. I have built in navi.

Also does the iphone has to connected by BT for the carplay to work? I tried my wife's iphone and carplay didn't work, she has ios 7.01.

Needs to be an iPhone 5 or newer running 8.0 or newer for the CarPlay to work. You also have to have it plugged into USB 1 using your Apple FireWire cable. Won't work via Bluetooth right now. Bluetooth is disabled when it's plugged in, as all your phone's features are running via the FireWire cable. It also uses the Pioneer Nav antenna for the Apple Maps App.