AVIC411.com

Android Auto issues on 2015 Generation NEX

I contacted Pioneer customer/Tech support regarding this issue. I am told that  "Android Auto cannot connect right now. When it is safe to do so, please check your Android phone."  means that my phone is not supported. Tech support tells me that they get this same question all the time and they say it could mean one of the following 1) my provider (T-Moble) in my area does not support Android auto 2) My device is not supported by Android Auto. Which is crazy I think because I have a Nexus 5, google's flagship phone and Tmobile ("the uncarrier") and I am based on central Texas. I somehow can't believe pioneer tech-support's explanation.  

Is there anyone on this forum who got Android Auto working with Nexus 5, T-Mobile in the central Texas area? 

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I recently installed the 8100NEX and had no issues getting Android Auto up and running on my GS6 but I am having an issue with the audio - google play music works but on the left side of the car, the audio crackles/pops/hisses/cuts in and out/etc.  I am wondering if anyone else has had this issue?

Bluetooth/radio/etc all works great.  Going to test a different USB cable and see where that gets me.

Frustrating...

I would also recommend trying a different Android Auto compatible player app from the play store.

I tested both Spotify and Google Play Music on two different galaxy S6's - exact same result.

What's amusing is you can literally tap the side of the center stack next to the 8100 and get the cracking/pops/hisses to change/stop/etc.

I had encryption enabled, and I had 3 google accounts on my phone. I had to reformat and factory reset my phone to fix all the problems I was having. But was it worth it? after a few weeks of using Android Auto, I don't think so. The stock 8100 features are nice and works better than Android Auto, I like the stock navigation better than Google maps on Android Auto, the voice commands are a mess, also the BT works better on the stock phone app and people complain of static on the line when I use it with Android Auto. The only thing so far that I liked in Android Auto is Google Music. I know Android Auto in its current form is just a teaser, but they are giving their users such a horrible experience on launch, once you screw up on user experience ... you have lost them for ever... Although I am not an Apple user, I am sure apple CarPlay is not the POS that Android Auto is. 

1-The stock 8100 features are nice and works better than Android Auto,

2-I like the stock navigation better than Google maps on Android Auto.

3-The voice commands are a mess.

4-The BT works better on the stock phone app and people complain of static on the line when I use it with Android Auto.

1 - You cannot reply to a text via the stock 8100. I like that in Android Auto. Push the button on the HU to listen, then push it again to reply. No trying to fumble with phone while driving.

A)Illegal B) very dangerous.

2 - I will have to agree with you on this.

3 - The voice commands have worked fine in AA so far, for me.

4 - The stock BT on the 8100 just plain sucks. People think I always have my windows rolled down when I'm talking. I have moved the mic to a few different locations.

the POS that Android Auto is. 

Hmmm... Here, Android Auto works exactly as intended. Folks say the audio quality on calls is near perfect. And the voice commands have been almost a hundred percent. Is it perfect? No... I have a number of little quibbles regarding interface issues, but everything it is supposed to do it does well.

I am going to go out on a limb and guess you have a phone from an OEM that has heavily modified Android.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I spent a day trying to get my Samsung Note 4 to connect to my 4100nex, either android auto or mirrorlink, no dice.  Problem was the cable.  i had gone on ebay and bought an "aftermarket' CD-MU200 cable, which is just a 3ft usb extension and a 3ft microusb cable.  well long story short after pulling my hair out I swapped the microusb with one I had laying around and guess what, worked right away.  so not sure what the difference is but bottom line is try a different cable if you are having problems, may need larger gauge wire, shielding, who knows. 

I spent a day trying to get my Samsung Note 4 to connect to my 4100nex, either android auto or mirrorlink, no dice.  Problem was the cable.  i had gone on ebay and bought an "aftermarket' CD-MU200 cable, which is just a 3ft usb extension and a 3ft microusb cable.  well long story short after pulling my hair out I swapped the microusb with one I had laying around and guess what, worked right away.  so not sure what the difference is but bottom line is try a different cable if you are having problems, may need larger gauge wire, shielding, who knows. 

The cable you purchased might have just been a charging cable, regardless of what they advertised in the eBay auction.   You need a data/charge USB cable, which is what the second cable you used is.     Complain to eBay and get your money back for item not as described.

• 2 weeks later...

You need a data/charge USB cable

Add me to the list of users that cannot get Android Auto to launch {HTC One M9, by the way).  Weird part is that it did a couple of times, but has not since.  I'm going through all the iterations of things that have been changed trying to land back on the "magic" set that actually works.  I'm fairly sure every cable I own is the combo type, but I'm wondering how to confirm.  If I plug the USB cable into a desktop PC and it allows me to transfer files to & from the phone, that would pretty much guarantee it is the correct cable.  Is that assumption correct??  Also, I have all the smartphone settings correct for Android Auto mode in the head unit and USB is running to USB2 input . . . . . straight connection with none of the MHL adapters or anything like that.

Like others, I have literally spent a couple of hours tinkering with this silly thing, so I'm definitely open to ideas.  Thanks in advance!

~Vol

P.S.  This is my first post here.  Is it politically correct to discuss AVH units in an AVIC forum?  :)