AVIC411.com

Anti-Theft on NEX Units

Hi Folks,

My trusty x710BT was recently stolen, and I'm looking to replace it.  Having thought car stereo theft was a thing of the past, I've been given a rude awakening (along with the insurance adjuster and everyone else I know).  So, my thoughts now go back a decade to my old head units with removable faceplates that made theft way less appealing. I've been looking at the 2014 NEX units, and see that at least part of the face is removable on the 6000, so that would give me the little extra piece of mind I'm looking for, but I would really prefer the full screen of the 7000 or 8000.  I know the full screen versions have the password feature, but I was wondering if the have any kind of blinking security light or anything that indicates the password is set/active.  I was looking at my old factory deck which is back in for now, and the red blinking light is a helper in making it less interesting than something that isn't secured.  I get that whoever steals it may not care if it's locked or not as they're as happy to screw the buyer as much as the original owner, but still, it may ward of some thieves.  So, any blinking security lights on the head units?

Also, if anyone is familiar with the older x710BT as well as the 6000, 7000 & 8000, any thoughts on the best target for a replacement?  I was fairly happy with the 710 after applying a lot of the mods to it.  Would the 6000 likely be an obvious choice, or is there significant added value beyond the larger screen to move to the 7000?  At which point, the 8000 comes into play with prices dropping due to the 8100 release.

Thanks for any answers/input!

Cheers

I have the 4000NEX, and I like the total removable screen, along with the passcode to render the unit useless to a thief. I purchased the nav add on AVIC U-260, and quickly realized, I hardly ever use it. I do not understand why the higher end units do not have the removable screen. I have been more than happy with the NEX and all the inputs available and how everything works. 

On the 5000 & 6000, only the control button bar on the side is removable to prevent theft. Not the entire face like the 7000 & 8000. You then need a passcode after reclipping in the button bar to turn the 5000/6000 on. I never remove mine, as I'm not sure how big a deterrent it would be or if even noticed by a theif. Might start if parking the vehicle in a shady spot.

To answer your other question on which NEX to choose, the flagship 8000 seems to be the best one with the capacitive touch screen. If money is an issue, then 5000 or 6000. I went with the 6000, because I wanted the HD Radio and Traffic. I live in a major city and HD radio is awesome. If Nav isn't a deal breaker, the 4000 maybe an option. Has all the audio features of the 7000 without the Nav. My wife wanted Nav, so I went with the 6000. I love the unit. Had it professionally installed along with a back-up camera. Works like a champ. CarPlay is cool, Bluetooth works great...HDMI cable for mirroring...ect. Even have it connected to my rear seat DVD player so I can watch or stream what the kids are viewing.

On the 5000 & 6000, only the control button bar on the side is removable to prevent theft. Not the entire face like the 7000 & 8000. You then need a passcode after reclipping in the button bar to turn the 5000/6000 on. I never remove mine, as I'm not sure how big a deterrent it would be or if even noticed by a theif. Might start if parking the vehicle in a shady spot.

The face is not removable on the 7000 & 8000. Only the 4000 has a completely removable face.

Thanks for the input folks.  I will say I got extremely excited at the thought of a fully removable screen on the 7/8000 for a few seconds!  It's very strange that they offer it on the 4000 but not the higher end ones.  Too bad.  NAV and Bluetooth are a must for me along with good sound.  I guess if comes down screen space vs peace of mind, so maybe I'll stay focused on the 6000.  It's a similar layout to the 710 that was stolen, and the smaller screen wasn't a deal breaker by any stretch- although I'll really miss having the rotary volume knob.

I have the 4000NEX, and I like the total removable screen, along with the passcode to render the unit useless to a thief. I purchased the nav add on AVIC U-260, and quickly realized, I hardly ever use it. I do not understand why the higher end units do not have the removable screen. I have been more than happy with the NEX and all the inputs available and how everything works. 

Where do you configure the passcode on the 4000nex?

• 2 years later...

I think the password thing is just a waste of time.  Even if you had a light to denote an active password, most theives aren't that smart to know the intricacies of each type of head unit.  I feel like they'll still rip your dash apart as fast as you can, take the head unit home and try to hook it up, only to find the password is there and it's useless.  However, the damage and loss to yourself is already done, so really the only thing a password does is ensure that everyone loses, instead of just you.

I have the 4200nex, it's a good unit and I do take the faceplate off in questionable neighborhoods.  No one is going to steal it in my driveway, or at work, but if I park at a friends apartment complex, where a theif see's my car several times and waits for me to park, I take it off and inside with me.