AVIC411.com

How much of my data allowance is used for GPS in the AppRadio

The only way I get GPS on the AppRadio 3 is by enabling the cellular data function on my iPhone.  I don't web-surf on the cell phone except on my network or in a pinch, and usually keep "cellular data" turned off.  I don't have a feel for how much it may cost me to use GPS.  Or is it just pinging the cells.  I don't want a shock from my next cell bill.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm learning as I go.  I can use Navmii, a free app, that needs cell no connection, but is IMO weak as a nav app.  Or with MotionX GPS-Drive, a much better nav app, I can can preload maps for a trip on wifi at home, and the only cell usage while driving is for route calcs, and is pretty low.  I hope other alternatives will arise as more nav apps hopefully become usable with AppRadio.

• 4 months later...

You can also use Google Maps and pre load the maps... If the HU is Using GPS it shouldnt use data (GPS is not a cell company feature and is not paid to use feature) but AGPS is a Feature that will use data... GPS verse AGPS

With AGPS instead of Global Satellites as location means it uses Cell phone towers (2 for low res location, 3 for accurate) those cell towers are you cell companies towers.... AGPS is a faster lock on phones but does use a little data... Phones mostly use this as a handoff get a quick link via AGPS the handover to full GPS when a lock is acquired.

AGPS- Assisted Global positioning System - Uses Cell phone towers and data connection to find location (carrier may charge against data plan or air time minutes, very fast position locator

GPS- Global positioning System - Is a chip inside of phone there is no carrier charges has slower connection, can make phone hot, Chips in phones hasn't been upgraded in phone in a long time (like 5 to 10 years)