AVIC411.com

Hello Everybody,

Two weeks ago I bought the European equivalent of the NEX-6000, the AVIC-F960DAB.

The HU is really good, sound quality is great and love all the features it has in theory.

In practice not all of the features are implemented as good as it should have been.

I've written to Pioneer about these issues and thought I should share the experience with you guys.

Maybe if more of us open a complaint on Pioneer Support we can get these things sorted out.

This is what I have written them:

Hi,

I bought the Pioneer AVIC-F960DAB a couple of days ago, and installed it in my VW Crafter People Carrier Van (This is the same car as the Mercedes Sprinter). The unit is linked to a monitor in the passenger area via the AV out port. The problems that I am having are as follows:

1.) There is no remote control app for Android/iPhone that my passengers could use to remotely control the HU. This is a major disadvantage as the passengers in the back should be able to play/pause, adjust the volume, change the movie they are watching on the monitor without distracting me from driving. 

2.) The HU does not show the subtitles for DivX movies. I've tried different file types (srt, sub, txt) and also mkv file with integrated subtitles. Nothing works. This is another major disadvantage for the passengers. My previous HU, an 8 years old JVC KW-AVX800, had no such problems.

3.) Trying to somehow bypass the limitations raised by problem 1.) and 2.) I linked up a Chromecast (HDMI dongle) to the HDMI IN port on the HU. With this I can stream movies with subtitles from a mobile phone to the HU wirelessly, thus fixing the no remote and subtitle problems, but another problem arises: 
 - The HDMI IN video isn't mirrored on the passenger monitor linked to the AV Out port.
I've tried different configurations and formats for the video settings, nothing helps. 

4.) Make an option in the HU settings to dim the illumination after a specific time, or link it to the GPS skin changing time. Since in a lot of EU countries it is mandatory to drive with the lights on even during the day I can't really use the dim function linked to the lights switch. Manually dimming every evening isn't really high end solution...

5.) AVICSync app for mobile is now almost a year past it's release deadline. Please release at lease a limited/BETA version of it.

6.) The Folder sort order in File view mode is random. Alphabetical sorting of the folders would be much better.

Paying 800 Euros for a high-end unit from a high-end brand hopefully entitles me to a high end customer support as well. All these problems could be fixed via a firmware update. Pioneer, please address these issues!!

Best regards,
Daniel

This is the response I got from Pioneer Europe:

Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for your email, your enquiry has been registered in our system
under reference number:
Pioneer ticket ref nr: ####

1. Pioneer never issued Control App for HU's. However, this feature is
taken into account for future models.

2. Subtitles can only be selected on disc format (DVD, CD, ...), not for SD
cards.
    Procedure on how to operate/display the subtitles is written op page
167 in the manual.

3. True, nice solution you found to overwrite this spec.  Unfortunately,
video can only be mirrored via AV board when regular video comes in

4. Dimmer settings can be combined to Brightness setting. Those can be
stored seperately, and can be used for headlights ON/OFF. This way, when
you switch headlights ON, the setting brightness will also be activated so
level is not so high anymore.

5).We understand your request and are also very troubled with the
(continuous) delay of AVICSYNC. Betaversion cannot be released as it needs
final approval by Apple.

6. In case you are still talking about the movie files, you are right, this
is not possible, but it would be nice to have this changed.

Please note that it is not possible to reply to this message.  Should you
wish to reply, then please contact us at:
http://www.pioneer.eu/eur/content/support/support/contactform.html
ensuring that you fill in the reference number, which will allow us to
respond more effeciently.

Best regards

Pioneer Europe Customer & Service Support

This is my response to Pioneer after I got the reply:

Hi,

First of all thank you for the reply, I would just like to clarify some things.

regarding 1.) I was thinking of this, because I saw that there is already an app (Pioneer ControlApp) to control household devices via a smart-phone. Could it be possible to adapt it to the F960?

regarding 2.) I understand and know how to view subtitles from DVDs, but could you modify the software to be able to view subtitles from SD/USB files as well?

Regarding 3.) What do you mean by "regular video"? The ChromeCast dongle outputs video signal all the time, just like any other HDMI source would. In the meantime I've also tried to output video from the phone via the MHL adapter and also from a tablet with HDMI output and those videos aren't mirrored either. I can see the videos on the HU fine, but I can not see them on the additional Monitor.

regarding 4.) the problem that I have is that I drive all day with the headlights ON (as per EU regulations), so my display would be always dimmed and with the brightness on low, I have to manually turn the brightness and dimmer to max so I can see what's displayed in the daytime, but once night comes I have to manually turn it down once again. That's why a feature to switch from day to night mode at a given time would be very useful. Or even better link it to the time when the Navigation app switches from day scheme to night scheme (when the sun sets).

regarding 6.) I have found this behavior in both Audio and Video folders. The HU sorts them in the order they were added to the USB drive rather than alphabetical.

I would like to point out once again that these are features that I would like added/changed in an upcoming firmware update. All of the issues I raised are software related and not hardware.
Also if you take a look on dedicated forums (avic411.com) you will see that a lot of people are complaining about the same issues I have raised here.

Thank you once again,
Daniel

What do you guys think?

Personally I don't think they will change anything, but at least I tried. 

My real hope is in the guys on this forum who are trying to hack the OS.

It would be really nice if we could install 3rd party apps like VLC Media player, Tune in radio, or even hook up a 3G Dongle to one of the USB ports...

That would really turn it into a Networked Enternainment eXperience

As long as people keep buying the units, they don't care. I returned one of my nex 8000 nearly a year after I purchased it. I called my credit card company, sent them the manual with it showing that we needed avicsync for connected services and they approved my return and refunded my money in full. Thank you visa. I still have another 8000, I do love it but if I didn't pay cash for it I would have returned that one just out of principal. I waiting for something better, and complete to come out and I'll sell my other 8000.

Regarding #4, my 4000nex had an "illumination" wire which you are supposed to connect to your cars headlight switch. You should disconnect it from the headlight switch and make your own switch, that way during the day you can drive with your headlight on and then when you flip your switch it dims to night mode.  Regarding everything else, Pioneer won't change anything.