AVIC411.com

Upgrading NEX4000 to NEX4100 - Work in Progress

A recovery mode might allow for more options, but I fear there is a checksum in the btl and/or udp files for the saf (which looks to be the actual radio firmware) file. If so, they could have padded the files to look the same size but they are actually quite different and they are rejected.

Unfortunately I am out of time to play. Wish I had my unit on my work bench in my office instead of 16 floors away, then again my boss might not approve of that level of outside devotion. Ah Pioneer!!!!

• Replies 623
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have an idea, but it's insanity. The NEX has a recovery system for if the radio has a catastrophic failure during the update like if lets say you turned off the car during. My guess is that it would be a full wipe of the system to return to stock, vs an update only changes the files that need changing. If I were to do this hacked update and then force restart the radio while it's going it might force it to do a full fresh install which could install the missing parts of the firmware that is causing it to act up. 

I'm not crazy enough to do this, but I'm tempted. 

For what it's worth, I had that same thought. Maybe one of us will get the courage...

I have an idea, but it's insanity. The NEX has a recovery system for if the radio has a catastrophic failure during the update like if lets say you turned off the car during. My guess is that it would be a full wipe of the system to return to stock, vs an update only changes the files that need changing. If I were to do this hacked update and then force restart the radio while it's going it might force it to do a full fresh install which could install the missing parts of the firmware that is causing it to act up.

I'm not crazy enough to do this, but I'm tempted.

I actually thought about it to. I just don't want to do it myself but I'd love someone else to lol

hey guys so sorry i've been AFK, been busy at work. I completely agree about getting to a recovery mode, and whomever posted the screens of the HW versions I was curious about checking this as well. 

The interesting thing is that under Bluetooth there is a separate option for update Bluetooth software (or something very similar) but I have not seen a separate Bluetooth software update from pioneer to try anything with.

I don't think i'm ballsy enough to try to FORCE the update to fail haha... My thoughts are that it keeps a backup of the image locally before installing the new OS and if the OS fails then upon next boot it just resorts back to the old OS. Complete guess though as I obviously haven't tried it.  IDK it might not really break anything, I mean pioneer has to have thought of a secure way of handling this without ruining peoples HW due to something stupid like taking the key out or the battery not lasting through the update.

Anyone have the stones?

Getting bluetooth Audio can't be as hard as it looks right now.....

another interesting find about the bluetooth audio... wonder if anyone else has noticed this.

If I play SXM and then try to load pandora (via bluetooth), I get so no sounds obviously, but when I return to SXM the volume is SUPER muted. at full blast i can now barely hear SXM playing. 

Has anyone else noticed this? I wonder if it really is just bluetooth or if its something bigger with audio management in the system...

Thoughts?

This is the reason why i wont buy anther pioneer product, instead of releasing a simple firmware update (obviously the units have no problem with the software) they make us jump through hoops to get it going. The units are less than a year old, unreal

agreed.... BUTTTT at the same time I prefer their looks and final products over the competition any day. Nothing looks as good or runs as smooth in my opinion. I just hate the life cycle. thats mostly due to it being a small market and lack of competition though.

agreed.... BUTTTT at the same time I prefer their looks and final products over the competition any day. Nothing looks as good or runs as smooth in my opinion. I just hate the life cycle. thats mostly due to it being a small market and lack of competition though.

Idk the Alpine ILX is a perfect carplay radio and its display is miles better than even the 8000 in color accuracy. Different reviewers have noted it has better audio quality as well. It's main interface sucks even more than pioneer because just like you say Pioneer is the best in the business for interface (which is sad because their interface is not that great) but all I want is a carplay radio.

Seriously with the Alpine you can truly see the album art. I can do some tricks to force the album art to show on my 4000 but it doesn't look good and then the maps and the other apps look wrong. On the Alpine the album art takes the whole screen with a light fade at the bottom. It's night and day. If I was buying today I wouldn't have gone Pioneer especially with how they handled the whole update debacle in the first place. 

so about this whole open source thing....

http://www.oss-pioneer.com/car/multimedia/files/avic-5000nex/index.html

http://www.oss-pioneer.com/car/multimedia/files/avic-5100nex/index.html

if this is separate from the firmware, as my understanding of this post after a very brief read makes me think it might be. 

https://fail0verflow.com/blog/2014/enhancing-the-avic-5000nex-pt2.html

How do we use the OS files to get the 4000 up to date. I mean hell if its all out there, how do we get it onto the 4000?