AVIC411.com

Upgrading NEX4000 to NEX4100 - Work in Progress

• Replies 623
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah i had another issue when I updated my 8000nex to the 8100nex firmware, I use the Idatalink  meastro RR on my f-150 for my steering controls, and when I updated to the 8100nex firmware, my device number changed on the 8000nex and my steering wheels would not  work anymore, so I tried to reflash the module with the new device number and as 8100nex radio and there website would give me invalid serial number for my 8000 that had the 8100nex firmware, so I gave up and put the 8000 firmware back on the unit and everything worked again, I did noticed there was more features in the navigation side for the AVICSYNC which my 8000nex doesn`t have it actually has screen that pops up and wants you to associate a new phone  see pic below, but at this moment I`m going to wait and see when Pioneer brings out Avicsync, if they do I might just jump to the 8100nex :mrgreen: sorry about the dust on the radio screen the damn thing collect it like magnet lol

20150326_140059_zpsp9rz707a.jpg

I am starting to believe that this is futile and we are locked into what we have.  kinda sad.  So I am starting to think about making the jump and see what I can get for my radio on eBay or craigslist.  the only thing I don't look forward to is removing my dash again (subaru crosstrek, the damn climate control cables are a female dog) and re-programing the steering wheel controls 

anyone know how to contact this fail0verflow site? seems this is right up there alley, and since the tools are all laid out i'm wondering if we can entice them to take a look.

fail0verflow is on Avic411 as the user Bushing, you can read it in the first post of this topic: http://avic411.com/index.php?/topic/38859-nex-runs-android-and-other-useless-info/so just send him a private message...

Hey guys,

I'm new to this. I just downloaded both the 4000NEX and 4100NEX.

What IF we try to do update the Bluetooth only.

Meaning copy over the BT folder from the 4100 FW to the 4000 FW and preform an update. Will it work? or the codes would be incompatible?

In this way we can see if the new BT firmware will work with the current 4000NEX hardware.

Any thoughts?

Hey guys,

Meaning copy over the BT folder from the 4100 FW to the 4000 FW and preform an update. Will it work? or the codes would be incompatible?

In this way we can see if the new BT firmware will work with the current 4000NEX hardware.

Any thoughts?

Try it out , let us know.

Hey guys,

Any thoughts?

I'll bite for this one. Sure. 

Ok so I tried updating the Bluetooth with the 4100 update with the 4000 firmware. It worked. My device reads 3.41 for its Bluetooth now. Picture proof in a moment. Gotta upload to imgur.

Edit. Here you go. Proof I have a 4000 and that I am using the 4100 Bluetooth firmware. http://imgur.com/5AmdK2O

http://imgur.com/zNNnUdYCurrently reinstalling the hacked 1.03 update for the 4100. Let's see if it works better with the upgraded Bluetooth.

So progress!

The Bluetooth firmware update worked. It also did not revert after the full software update. The radio booted faster this time than when I didn't update Bluetooth prior and the unit isn't glitching anymore. However we still don't have audio in CarPlay or Bluetooth. Don't know why but it has something to do with that new Bluetooth audio setting.

I tried doing a full system reset post update and that didn't force the Bluetooth setting to kick over either. Not sure why but it still won't let you click Bluetooth audio on.

But hey! Good news guys. You can now successfully update your Bluetooth to 3.41.10 on your radio.

Did you try to revert back to 1.08 and keep the 3.41 bluetooth folder and see if bluetooth worked?

Here's the steps I've done so far. I reverted back to 1.08, then using the 1.03 firmware while in 1.08 I updated the bluetooth. So while the radio is in the 1.08 firmware it successfully updated to 3.41.10. I tested bluetooth audio and calling, and everything is working great. 

I then updated to 1.03 again. The 3.41.10 bluetooth firmware stayed put. The radio actually ran much more reliably. The first time carplay was utterly unusable and glitchy and half the buttons on the radio weren't cooperating. This time though the radio responded fine and carplay moved fine. The only problem was the same problem. The bluetooth audio would not switch from off to on. 

So I tried something crazy. I thought "hey what if the recovery is on the device side? So when you install an update it installs a recovery update as well so if your flash drive dies the radio fixes itself." So I tried the crazy plan. I turned off my radio during the downgrade from 1.08 to 1.03.

Yep I went full nuts. I now know how the restore process works. It works from the SD card, not from the Radio. It used the 1.08 update file to do a restore install. Interestingly it did NOT revert me back to the 3.21.10 bluetooth firmware. 

So there you have it. My current findings.