AVIC411.com

Upgrading NEX4000 to NEX4100 - Work in Progress

Ill be happy to report that I preformed the latest update to my chromecast and it works great with screen resolution! well not perfect. It has a slight hesitation for touch controls and when u turn it a certain way in landscape mode it its the complete opposite for touch controls yet again. But hey its wireless and working somewhat properly!

• Replies 623
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey guys update time,

I just bought a 4100NEX to upgrade to but while I have both I'll be comparing the differences physically to see what is happening here.

So far I can boot to 1.08 (4000) on my 4100 and experience similar problems as the other way around so I really am starting to think that they changed some of the hardware and didn't make it clear.

The big difference is the screen. not so much the resolution but the presentation. on the 4100 the screen is actually glass like, not that "film" of plastic on the 4000. Its very dense and gloss like in finish not matte. This is the first thing I noticed right off the bat. 

I'll be looking into swapping the internal SD Card out to see what happens when I do that (pulling the 4100 SD card and using it in the 4000). But I think I will have to find the devices password to get this to work so we shall so how that goes.

Hey guys update time,

I just bought a 4100NEX to upgrade to but while I have both I'll be comparing the differences physically to see what is happening here.

So far I can boot to 1.08 (4000) on my 4100 and experience similar problems as the other way around so I really am starting to think that they changed some of the hardware and didn't make it clear.

The big difference is the screen. not so much the resolution but the presentation. on the 4100 the screen is actually glass like, not that "film" of plastic on the 4000. Its very dense and gloss like in finish not matte. This is the first thing I noticed right off the bat. 

I'll be looking into swapping the internal SD Card out to see what happens when I do that (pulling the 4100 SD card and using it in the 4000). But I think I will have to find the devices password to get this to work so we shall so how that goes.

Awesome. Thanks for keeping the hope alive

I don't have any skin in the game, I have neither of the HUs but I've done a bunch of reversing on Pioneer's firmware and hardware/SD hacking on my unit APPRADIO 4 which has a common software and hardware base.

What's the goal? What do people actually want from the x100 series?

I took a really quick look at the differences between the 4000 / 4100 and it looks like the hardware is super similar, with a few differences:

CPU Unit

* New flash rom - this could mean the BSP has changed (and the SD passwords are different) but can't tell until inspecting the kernel or dumping the flash. The CPU hasn't changed so I'd be surprised if there were significant differences.

Interface Unit

* HD/DAB tuner change

* System uCom change

Monitor Unit

* New multi touch panel

DVD Unit

* a Mirrorlink chip is gone (or moved)

What's the same:

* CPU

* LCD + backlight

* Bascially everything (hardware version KM500B vs KM506B)

When updating things can be done independantly:

* Programs

* Bootloader

* Boot

* Recovery Partition

* Platform

* Opening Data

* System uCom firmware

* Bluetooth firmware

* GPS firmware

The code for x100 is PJ150 and x000 is PJ140.

Once updated, unless some core files are manipulated the unit will assume the new hardware's identity.

Its possible to craft an update that mixes and matches units between updates - or leave some out. It's also possible to redo a whole partition.

What this doesn't take into account is sofware and driver versions and how the harware actually talks to each other. e.g. there might many more software than hardware changes that could lead to significant interop issues. I haven't inspected the update to see (an update probbaly isn't detailed enough)

At this stage I don't see any reason to think that the tty assignments have changed on the UART interfaces though.

If I was starting on this from scratch with a x000 unit I think a good first step would be:

* back up internal SD, just in case

* make the minumum manipulations to the update to make it apply (i.e change no data just names and headers)

* once updated successfully boot into the service test mode with TESTMODE.KEY and run the hardware diagnostics - these cover basically everything, touchscreen, fans, bluetooth, monitor so should show up any issues easily.

I wouldn't force bluetooth, gps or ucom updates at this point - don't want force the HU to brick those components with an incompatible firmware. 

If I had a x100 unit I'd dump the SD card and take a gander at that. (swapping unlocked sd cards would be an interesting experiment, as the firmwares wouldnt be touched just potential driver issues - if it worked it'd be funny to think you could just order the SD spare part from pioneer from a newer model to "upgrade")

Covert_Death.....Awesome dedication towards this topic bro.  I was sooooo pissed when Pioneer had to release a new unit just to update Android Auto.  I bought my 4000NEX during last September just in hopes that Android Auto will be made available as a FW update.  Like everybody else here, I am also ranting about less than 1 year old unit purchase which now does not meet my expectations.  

Covert_Death.....Awesome dedication towards this topic bro.  I was sooooo pissed when Pioneer had to release a new unit just to update Android Auto.  I bought my 4000NEX during last September just in hopes that Android Auto will be made available as a FW update.  Like everybody else here, I am also ranting about less than 1 year old unit purchase which now does not meet my expectations.  

sorry for the delay, it's been a buys week at work. I found the SD card inside the unit but as I guessed it's PW protected and I don't know how to extrapolate the PW from the new unit / old unit to unlock it. I don't even know if this would resolve the issue but at least it would be 100% 4100 SW on a 4000 instead of a partial upgrade like the FW seems to be. 

I need to be able to sell one of my units so I hesitate in destroying them any further haha.

Also I have had no luck getting anyone interested on XDA...

sorry for the delay, it's been a buys week at work. I found the SD card inside the unit but as I guessed it's PW protected and I don't know how to extrapolate the PW from the new unit / old unit to unlock it. I don't even know if this would resolve the issue but at least it would be 100% 4100 SW on a 4000 instead of a partial upgrade like the FW seems to be. 

I need to be able to sell one of my units so I hesitate in destroying them any further haha.

Also I have had no luck getting anyone interested on XDA...

https://fail0verflow.com/blog/2014/enhancing-the-avic-5000nex.html

This guy was able to obtain the password

Pioneer right now mediocrity in a sea of garbage. The head unit manufacturers are not innovating. Frankly I'm glad for CarPlay and android auto because my radio will receive updates and new functionality over time from apple instead of from pioneer.

In the 8.3 beta the album art looks better and once again works with third party apps, the phone no longer needs to be unlocked to use CarPlay,(you just tell the phone to trust this head unit and it auto launches after that) the maps now does this thing where if you don't touch it it hides buttons automatically to dedicate more of the screen to the map, Siri has a new button to let me call the person to reply to a text and I have no doubt in the future there will be a button to send audio messages for iMessage conversations.

When the interface comes from my phone I don't have to care about the pioneer one. I already have an interface from apple.

There may not be a payoff. For most new cars, the infotainment is so integrated with the rest of the car both physically and electronically that the market for aftermarket audio may be shrinking.