AVIC411.com

Upgrading NEX4000 to NEX4100 - Work in Progress

I am considering about ordering 5000NEX.

Here are things that I would approach to achieve everything that people want.

1. Find a way to install custom app to any NEX.

This will bring us the power to run shell script and more over, rooting the device.

With root access, we should be able to bring partition map really easily so we can compare x0xx and x1xx devices.

2. If we achieve Number1, we may seek a way to dump NOR flash.

As fail0verflow mentioned, the SD password is stored on flash. With power of dumping NOR flash, we should be able to dump

password for any device including x1xx devices.

Furthermore, I believe flash will store much more info. Not just SD password, but also some device specific strings, such as S/N or Model number.

3. Raspberry Pi that can send CMD42 command.

I am not even sure we need this but it is required in order to dump initial x1xx device SD image.

But good to have it for dumping x1xx SD card.

Has anybody tried to inserting x1xx SD card into x0xx device yet?

• Replies 623
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so i was wondering and i am sure this has already been thought of, but if you have have gotten x1xx running on x0xx with the exception of bluetooth, what about the update bluetooth option in the head unit? like could you flash the modded firmware then use the factory firmware and run the update bluetooth option and pull in the original bluetooth files?

Something we are missing here is a map..  I'm using a 150version (x1xx series) firmware.  I will ignore the version.  I'm trying to create the start of a scatter chart here.   Add more information as it is discovered... Actual partition names, locations in /dev/block, EMMC layouts.. that sort of thing.  Eventually we will blow this thing wide open for modification, but we have to start by mapping it out. 

This man has fixed, and helped fix SO many things.  So glad to see your name in here working on this.  It shouldn't be long now.  

Also just tried a cross-upgrade with the old GPS prg and the GPS ver file. It upgraded but still no bluetooth audio.

The kernel is the layer where the drivers are initialized. Try changing the boot.img as well.

If that doesn't work we will need to get debugging info. After decompressing the ramdisk, in the init.rc, somewhere late in the boot, place this..

sleep 60 && dmesg>> /storage/sdcard0/log.txt &

Which will cause the system to wait 60 seconds on a background process, then write the kernel log to the external sd. You can paste it on http://code.casual-dev.com

You will have to recompress the kernel using the same tool, then sign it and flash it.

The kernel is the layer where the drivers are initialized. Try changing the boot.img as well.

If that doesn't work we will need to get debugging info. After decompressing the ramdisk, in the init.rc, somewhere late in the boot, place this..

sleep 60 && dmesg>> /storage/sdcard0/log.txt &

Which will cause the system to wait 60 seconds on a background process, then write the kernel log to the external sd. You can paste it on http://code.casual-dev.com

You will have to recompress the kernel using the same tool, then sign it and flash it.

Just tried a cross upgrade with the old GPS, Bluetooth and Boot prgs. It still had the same issue with no Bluetooth audio, carplay audio, or android audio. 

I have been unable to get the mkboot tools to work on OS X so I have been unable atm to rebuild a new kernel.

so i was wondering and i am sure this has already been thought of, but if you have have gotten x1xx running on x0xx with the exception of bluetooth, what about the update bluetooth option in the head unit? like could you flash the modded firmware then use the factory firmware and run the update bluetooth option and pull in the original bluetooth files?

I tried that. Unfortunately, it's a no go. BT is updated, but doesn't fix the problem.

Just tried a cross upgrade with the old GPS, Bluetooth and Boot prgs. It still had the same issue with no Bluetooth audio, carplay audio, or android audio.

I have been unable to get the mkboot tools to work on OS X so I have been unable atm to rebuild a new kernel.

Got VirtualBox, or MacPorts? Either one should be able to do it. VirtualBox would be preferable to run Ubuntu in a VM and you can share a folder between the computer and the VM.

I won't ever be able to get x0xx logs on my device. This weekend I'm going to make a full SD from the x0xx upgraded to x1xx. I hope to restore my bricked device back to operations.

Is there a trick to get mkbootimg to work?

I am using a Ubuntu 14 virtual box but keep getting a no such file or directory with mkboot, when I try to repack.  If I can get past this I think I can get the script together to recompile the boot.prg

use tab auto-complete, be outside of the ramdisk dir, make sure all tools are chmodded +x (executable), and specify full paths.

/path/to/mkbootimg_tools/mkboot  /path/to/original_boot.img  /path/to/root/of/unpacked/ramdisk_folder/  /path/to/new_boot.img

This thread is really a bit like an unhealthy relationship... you get your hopes up that everything will be great, and then it doesn't work out. Then you wait, rinse and repeat... :)

Just needs more time and effort. I spent all weekend analyzing firmware and trying to get my bricked deck working. Once I'm able to get my device working again, custom firmwares should be simple.

@AdamOutler, definitely!

I am working on trying to get the kernel logs for us to analyze, however I still cannot get mkboot to repackage the kernel kernel and modified ramdisk. I have tried absolute paths, but it is always a error with a no such file or directory.

Screen_Shot_2015_07_20_at_7_20_10_PM.png

@AdamOutler, definitely!

I am working on trying to get the kernel logs for us to analyze, however I still cannot get mkboot to repackage the kernel kernel and modified ramdisk. I have tried absolute paths, but it is always a error with a no such file or directory.

Screen_Shot_2015_07_20_at_7_20_10_PM.png

Ok. never mind. Turns out mkboot had an error in it.