AVIC411.com

Steering wheel control question

Greetings. First post here, and first after-market head unit, so hopefully I will use the correct terminology.

I recently had the 4100NEX installed in my 2007 Hyundai Santa Fe, including a rear view (back-up) camera. The head unit allows you to use the camera while in forward gear.

My steering wheel has controls for Mode, track up & down, volume up & down and mute. I almost never use the Mode button, and would like to map that button to toggle the rear view camera. I currently have the PAC-SWI adapter, and my installer either can't or won't re-map buttons.

My web search suggests that the idatalink maestro might be able to do this, but no clear answer. 

Can it be done? Anyone with hands-on experience know with reasonable certainty?

... my list of available remote functions with me, but I don't believe camera view is one of them.

Thanks. I'd be interested in seeing such a list, although I was really wanting the camera view as a quick blind-spot checker. Oh well.

According to iDataLink Maestro SW flash program, the following commands are available for the AVIC-8000NEX:

Answer Call 

Attenuation On/Off 

Band 

Display Info or Text 

Hang Up & Reject Call 

Phone Menu 

Preset -

Preset +

Seek - 

Seek +

Source 

Voice or Siri 

Volume - 

Volume +

Given more functions than buttons, you can program dual functions for some buttons: press and release for main function; press, hold for 2 seconds, then release for the secondary function.  I believe volume buttons cannot have a secondary function programmed.

Wondering if anyone can help with this question.  I was trying to remap some buttons on my ASWC-1 last night. However, it wasn't connecting to the unit through the app on my note 4.  Do the cables have to be the Metra cables?  I just got a 5-pin type b micro usb to OTG USB and used my Samsung usb charging cable. Or is it the fact that the note 4 is not applicable?

I once had an ASWC-1.  As far as I know, you can only remap functions through SWC button presses and counting LED flashes... a major PITA.

Also, the USB port is only for firmware updates... and the updater software is Windows only.

Do yourself a favor if you want to remap the buttons and have dual functions, get the iDatalink Maestro SW.  Your can custom remap through website and USB (I don't know if it can be done through Android or iDevice at present).

I once had an ASWC-1.  As far as I know, you can only remap functions through SWC button presses and counting LED flashes... a major PITA.

Also, the USB port is only for firmware updates... and the updater software is Windows only.

Do yourself a favor if you want to remap the buttons and have dual functions, get the iDatalink Maestro SW.  Your can custom remap through website and USB (I don't know if it can be done through Android or iDevice at present).

Thanks for the response. I was following this video from their website, but again, just using usb cables I had at home, not the Metra cables.

Re-assigning steering wheel controls using Axxess Updater App: https://youtu.be/O_d-gfjhYgc

Thanks for the response. I was following this video from their website, but again, just using usb cables I had at home, not the Metra cables.

Re-assigning steering wheel controls using Axxess Updater App: https://youtu.be/O_d-gfjhYgc

Well it looks like maybe they've improved remapping.  The only way to remap when I had my ASWC-1 was as in the instruction manual using the buttons and watching LED flashes.  Maybe it's not such a PITA now with Updater App.  Can't answer your question about the Metra Cable(s).  IMO it should work with any OTG cable setup.I did note in the video they said the Updater App method was not compatible with all Android devices....

Not as good as a toggle on the steering wheel, but I discovered how to put the camera view on the home screen. Camera view is now never more than two buttons away, and plays nice with carplay. See p.13 of manual (4100NEX) if you don't already know how to rearrange the source icons.

• 3 months later...

Not as good as a toggle on the steering wheel, but I discovered how to put the camera view on the home screen. Camera view is now never more than two buttons away, and plays nice with carplay. See p.13 of manual (4100NEX) if you don't already know how to rearrange the source icons.

Mr. Eros,

Can you please share with us how you were able to map the backup camera view to the source button on the steering wheel?  I too hve a camera setup similar to yours wrt to my AVIC 8000NEX.

I'm having trouble putting the camera view on the home screen.  Could you please post a step-by-step procedure?

I'm not sure if it same on 8000 model. Check your manual for section on "Changing Order of Source Icons." For the 4100NEX, the process is as follows:

0. Car must have parking brake engaged.

1. Press the Home button to display the Top Menu screen

2. Press the AV button on the lower right side of screen - this will display the available sources - some of which will already be on the lower edge of the screen

3. Press and hold the Camera View icon and drag it to the desired location on the lower edge of the screen.

Once completed, to access camera view push the Home button, then the Camera View Icon.

The "Source" button on your steering wheel might cycle through the selections to camera view, but that is not optimal on my car, as it turns off whatever I'm listening to (Radio, for example) and goes to the next source (CD). Using the NEX display leaves the radio on and just shows the camera view.