AVIC411.com

Naviextras map update question

After the purchase about 10 months ago, I was checking back to see the map update option for my AVIC-6000NEX and found many confusing terms in the forum.

1) On the Pioneer official website, it says "Customers who purchase Pioneer NEX products from authorized Pioneer dealers are eligible to update to the latest available map database free of charge during the first 45 days of operation (from the unit’s first receipt of an active GPS signal).  To update the map database, visit Naviextras' website to download the Naviextras Toolbox.", So it looks like this free update offer is only valid for the first 45 days after using.

2) I installed Naviextras Toolbox, and found out I still have a option for Q1 2014 map (North America) update. Even though it looks like they offer a $129 option for Q2 2014.

3) Some members mentioned in this forum that this is a one time free offer, so implied to hold off the update until it's "necessary".

I don't see anywhere this one time offer thing mentioned, and the 45 days limitation doesn't apply to my case.

Should I download the update? And would I lose the free update if I download it now?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At first I thought it might have to do with the date one first registers on Naviextras.com.  Now I think the HU operating system stores the date of the first GPS signal... and that is what your free update will reflect no matter when you update.  The website didn't use to say update was based on GPS signal.

At first I thought it might have to do with the date one first registers on Naviextras.com.  Now I think the HU operating system stores the date of the first GPS signal... and that is what your free update will reflect no matter when you update.  The website didn't use to say update was based on GPS signal.

What you said about registration date on Naviextras.com make sense to me. But it could also means I just started a ticking bomb.

The GPS signal things confuse me more since I bought it 10 months ago, and have been using GPS signal all the time?

What you said about registration date on Naviextras.com make sense to me. But it could also means I just started a ticking bomb.

The GPS signal things confuse me more since I bought it 10 months ago, and have been using GPS signal all the time?

Well I have no way to confirm one way or the other as I already did did both... :)

NaviExtras is up and running with U.S. version NEX units. Log on , download Navi Toolbox. Use an empty USB stick, SD card didn't work for me, and change working drive to your USB drive. It is under the settings tab  It will setup the USB drive to work with the SyncTool on your head unit. Take USB to head unit and use the SyncTool to write info about head unit to the USB drive. Bring USB back to PC and the toolbox should recognize your head unit automatically. Sign in and update.  There is a free update, but it is not the newest maps.  One side note: if you get and error or the toolbox or synctool doesn't recognize the USB, erase the USB and start from scratch.

I'm guessing second owners, such as me, are out of this deal?

On another note, I am shocked to see the maps being more up to date than my Pioneer D-3 according to the About area. But according to the actual maps, are a couple years behind. Two areas have been taken back in time for me. One are is where two roads were a little off set, back in 2008ish the town had lined them up. Another area two roads were a four way, now they are a round a bout. Both were fixed in my D-3 2012 update. 

KOT

I guess my question really is: should I update it now? if I download it now, and update it to 2014 Q1, would I be able to get another free update in future?

Thanks for all your reply btw.

I don't think it matters.  Whatever free update you get is going to be based on the date your HU first acquired a GPS signal.  From the sounds of it, that date is stored in the internal memory...

I don't think it matters.  Whatever free update you get is going to be based on the date your HU first acquired a GPS signal.  From the sounds of it, that date is stored in the internal memory...

My 6000 was bought last June, and started receiving GPS signal last July. Are you saying I can only get free update one time, which shows Q1 2014? And next year I will not see any option for 2015/2016 upgrade, since my HU was bought back in 2014?

I bought my 7000 about 3 weeks ago. How can I tell what map version is already installed on the unit? I would assume it has the latest 2014 Q2, but should def check first.

I believe there's an info screen that tells you what version is installed, but I can't confirm as I'm ~650 miles from my unit and the manual is basically useless in this regard :)

If there isn't such a screen, you can go through the Naviextras Toolbox process up to reading the USB on your computer, ad that will tell you for sure what is installed.

What version is installed likely depends on when your unit was manufactured, not when you bought it.

My 6000 was bought last June, and started receiving GPS signal last July. Are you saying I can only get free update one time, which shows Q1 2014? And next year I will not see any option for 2015/2016 upgrade, since my HU was bought back in 2014?

You (supposedly) only get one free update, and the update version will be based on when your unit first aquired a GPS signal.  You will likely always see pay-for updates available in the future.

The countdown starts from the first time that the unit sees a GPS signal. From that point, you are eligible to receive the latest maps released within 45 days of the GPS signal.  

So, if you got your first GPS signal on Jan 1, and they released a map update on Feb 14... and it's now Apr 6, then you are permitted to get the Feb 14 update for free.  If that update was released on Feb 15 (46 days after) you would have to buy it, but you are still allowed to get the previous update.

At least that is how the Naviextras support rep explained it to me.