AVIC411.com

Naviextras map update question

This has to hurt, considering you live in Philly, literally right in the backdoor to these affected update areas

I actually moved to Southern California in mid 2015 (donmontalvo.wordpress.com). I corrected my profile. :)

I'm contemplating getting a Pioneer AVIC-6200NEX, for the HDMI, HD Radio, and Traffic Tuner.

I figure I'll sell the Pioneer AVIC-5000NEX for $300, and I'll save $129.99 on the map upgrade...so I'll only be shelling out $200-300 (assuming PAC RP4-HD11 will work).

Decided after seeing how the other brands don't really offer any compelling reason to switch.

I still think Pioneer has a sucky business model, lazy development, and unfair map update policy.

Don

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually moved to Southern California in mid 2015 (donmontalvo.wordpress.com). I corrected my profile. :)

I'm contemplating getting a Pioneer AVIC-5200NEX, for the HDMI, HD Radio, and Traffic Tuner.

I figure I'll sell the Pioneer AVIC-5000NEX for $300, and I'll save $129.99 on the map upgrade...so I'll only be shelling out $200-300 (assuming PAC RP4-HD11 will work).

Decided after seeing how the other brands don't really offer any compelling reason to switch.

I still think Pioneer has a sucky business model, lazy development, and unfair map update policy.

Don

You mean the 6200?  I love my 6000.  Don't use the HDMI input, but HD radio & traffic tuner work well.  Where in SoCal did you move?  I grew up in the San Fernando Valley.

Oops...yes, 6200...corrected. :)

LA area.

Well I visited a shop and told the owner the 6200 is out soon. He gave me the 6100 for $700.

I don't mind being one version behind, but being on the first version was annoying.

It was a clean swap from the 5000 > 6100, except I need another face plate since the unit is about 1/4 sunk.

Screen is superb, didn't expect it to be so responsive.

HD Radio is awesome! Traffic, at last! You guys are right, I probably won't use HDMI.

I already got an offer for $350 for the 5000. I'm downloading the firmware update (is at 1.01).

Brandy spanky new, never powered on - so I'll have updated maps in a few (well, only 3Q behind!).

Don

Don

Finally got around to initiating the map updates. Its going fairly quickly, but then I have a pretty good connection.

I'm running VMWare Fusion 8 Pro on a MacBook Pro Retina 2015, with a 50M download pipe.

Its pretty simple, grab a USB stick, stick it in the car and run SyncTool (prepares the USB stick in under a minute). Then stick the USB stick in your PC and launch Naviextras Toolbox (free). It'll see the USB stick to verify your device, then you have the option to download updates. Updates are downloaded to the USB stick. When its done, take the USB stick to your car, stick it in and...<fill-in-the-blank-not-there-yet-LOL>. :)

Don

avic-6100nex-free-map-update.png