AVIC411.com

Mic not working or is it the head unit or does the 4000nex stink?

I have a 4000 nex in a jeep wrangler. Everyone complains that my voice sounds like it's coming from a distant walkie talkie when I call them. If i switch to my iphone's handset then it's all perfect. I had the installer, who was really clueless, replace the microphone. They claim they did, so I just have to go on faith that they did. IT's really bad so I am unsure if the mic is still bad or is it the head unit that is faulty or...is it a case of "It is what it is and suck it up". 

Any words of wisdom will be gratefully received because I am at my wits end. BTW, I know that a wrangler is a noisy vehicle but my issue is when I am parked and talking closely to the mic. 

If it's the mic, is there a better mic I could get? 

Is there a way of figuring out if it's a faulty head unit? Again, the people who installed it are totally clueless

Is anyone else having these issues

Sorry for the late night rant

Have you tried to reset the iPhone by pressing and hold the Sleep/Wake and Home buttons at the same time? Holding them until the Apple logo shows up, about 30 to 45 seconds. 

What kind of tests has the installer tried? Have they tried a new mic in the same location with out running the wire, just for testing?

KOT

Hi KOT , This has been going on since I got the head unit 2 months ago. Unfortunately the store and the installer dont really know what they are doing. They replaced the mic but it hasn't made a difference. What is annoying is when I called them that they thought it sounded ok, which it certainly does not.

I even wondered if the phone wasn't actually switching to the mic when I made a call, remember the old days when you basically had to manually switch the call from the phone to the Bluetooth headset.

Out of interest when you use your phone are people complaining about the reception ? Like I say, I don't know if it's a faulty mic, a faulty head unit or if this is as good as it is. If the pioneer mic is the issue, meaning it's not faulty its just low quality, is there a better quality microphone out there I could buy?

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for responding, I took another look at how the installer had put the mic in and there was definitely a problem in that it was pointing away from me, it was in the aPillar where the OEM one was, I opened the a pillar and managed to slide it out. I now have it on the sun visor. It's so much better, the only thing is that the mic's covered in this black gooey stuff which I'm trying to pick off. The holes at the top of the mic are clear but the slots on the side are all gunked up. Not sure how to clean that up but at least people can now hear me.

Do you think it would be any better if I can get the black "putty" off the sides or show I just leave it?