AVIC411.com

Best recommended rearview Camera

I had my car wide open, every piece of trim removed because I was replacing the entire nav & stereo systems, so I didn't have a problem running the wires. Every car is different, but in general, if you're comfortable removing some trim pieces, I think running the wires shouldn't be too much of a hassle.

I use this one and have been very happy, great picture both at day and night times:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0092YMZJY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I also have one of these on my 370Z with an 8000NEX. The color reproduction with it has always been a little wonky, but the image is crisp and the nightvision is serviceable. Not bad for the price.

How did you run your wires? Dos you still through anything?

How to run the wires is highly vehicle dependent. Like EditorDZ I also ran mine while I had the interior panels out of my car for the audio install. Ultimately it's not very difficult, just time consuming.

• 3 weeks later...

I prefer smaller cameras and so I've used the CrimeStopper SV-6922.LM.II as both front and rear cameras. Even though it does not have IR LED's, both the nighttime and daytime images are pretty good. They are more expensive than other options, but they're well made (metal construction instead of plastic) and configurable with or without guidelines and either normal or reverse image.

• 1 month later...

I prefer smaller cameras and so I've used the CrimeStopper SV-6922.LM.II as both front and rear cameras. Even though it does not have IR LED's, both the nighttime and daytime images are pretty good. They are more expensive than other options, but they're well made (metal construction instead of plastic) and configurable with or without guidelines and either normal or reverse image.

I have the NEX-6000 and would like to know if the parking guides show when used with a forward facing camera.  I like have them activated with my rear camera, and find them very helpful.  I am considering adding a forward facing front camera, and would prefer that view withOUT the parking guidelines.  If anyone has any experience with this I would be most grateful.

• 2 weeks later...

Most if not all cameras have the parking guides built in the camera, although some have the capability of disabling that option, for example the crimestopper camera I installed on my truck, had a wire that you could cut and it would disable the built in guide, this way you can use the NEXs guide or not. On the wiring, if you plan on ever using the camera to say, check on the trailer you are pulling, while driving down the road, you would need to run the positive wire on the camera to a switched 12v power source and the purple/white wire from the head unit to reverse wire. This way, the camera is powered on when you turn on the key and Camera view is operable, and when you put it in reverse, the head unit will of course show the reverse view. Camera view has to be turned on in system setup each time you want to view it that way and turned off by the X in the right hand corner. If you only tap the screen to turn camera view off, it will come back on in 15 seconds or so, and will continue to do so, until you turn it off.

If you only plan on using the reverse camera, then you can power the camera with your reverse light, but you will still need to hook up purple/white wire to reverse wire to initiate the rear view screen. If the camera you purchase has a wire running alongside your rca to the head unit, you can use it to hook up to the purple/white wire on head unit.

• 3 weeks later...

I have the NEX-6000 and would like to know if the parking guides show when used with a forward facing camera.  I like have them activated with my rear camera, and find them very helpful.  I am considering adding a forward facing front camera, and would prefer that view withOUT the parking guidelines.  If anyone has any experience with this I would be most grateful.

The parking guidelines that are displayed by the NEX unit are only for the rear camera. As such, if you use a forward facing camera, the NEX does not overlay any guidelines. If you get a camera such as the CrimeStopper SV-6922.LM.II (not pushing that one, just using it as an example) you can cut the wire to disable the guidelines that are superimposed by the camera itself.