AVIC411.com

Samsung S4 lollipop DA110 Appradio working and charging in UK!

Hi

Thanks to this forum and others and browsing a number of posts, I have got my Galaxy S4 finally working, with GPS injection and charging, even using the USB out on the head unit :D

I did have to look around a lot for the info though, so thought it may be useful to post it all together here, along with links as to where I got working cables from in the UK.  I hope that is okay and that someone finds it useful.

Firstly the MHL cable.. I had one that works with my S4 on the TV and my wife's S3 with the Appradio, but it didn't do anything with the S4 and Appradio.  I thought maybe it was my phone, but decided to go for a genuine S4 Samsung adapter from Amazon (£20) and it worked instantly!
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00BTCPQ5C?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

No need for special HDMI cable or 11pin micro USB or anything, just bog standard ones worked with it.

Charging - I couldn't get it to do anything other than drain whether I used the flying head unit lead or the 2amp cigarette lighter charger.  I read that I needed to use a different kernel, just couldn't find any suggestions as to which.  I have used GoogyMax before, but since I went back to Stock 5.01, it will not install.  I did find the lollipop AEL Kernel here which works : http://echoerom.com/s4-gt-i9505-kernels/
I then installed Trickster Mod from the Play Store, enabled Force Fast Charge under Specific settings, and told it to set Kernel settings on boot.  it now charges whilst running ARU, Waze and music all at once.  Even from the flying lead from the back of the Head unit!  Happy days, nice and neat.  It charges very slowly, but better than draining.  I would say it goes up 1 or 2% in half an hour.

iPod - I bought my AR off eBay and the multipin iPod adapter came with it, altho just the part from the head unit to the female USB socket.  I presumed that a normal apple iPod 30pin USB lead would work here with my iPod touch 3gen.  It read the files fine but no sound came out.  Luckily I didn't have to shell out for the full Pioneer lead, this one worked fine :
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00JUN9CT8?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00
£13

Even though some sellers were cheaper on both items, I wasn't sure if it was my head unit or phone causing the issues and I knew with Amazon directly it would be genuine and I could send it back, no questions asked, that bit extra for peace of mind was worth it.

I am running AR unchained, with the injector app installed as a system app and it injects GPS data into whatever app my phone is running.  I am using Car Home Ultra app as a launcher for when it is connected to Bluetooth and charging.. i have Navmii installed with free UK and european maps just for when i am out of signal area when using Maps or Waze.

I think that covers all the issues I had and should hopefully be enough for a one stop shop for and UK users having the same issues.
Thanks to the many people and posts that I read that suggested much of the above.  It is a fantastic system if you are prepared to put effort into the setup and the developers of ARU have done an amazing job and the App is worth the money, even though it's the most expensive app i have ever bought!!  It sounds fantastic, looks brilliant and does everything I could ask (except DAB and DVB-T! which my previous annoying chinese head unit had but I hardly ever used!).  I just hope when my S4 eventually dies, there is still a latest gen phone that I can use with it!  I may be back next year to see which phones people suggest!