AVIC411.com

Just finished NEX 4100 install first impression and ?s

In 2002 4runner.  Went well for the most part.  A couple comments/thoughts for those that may benefit:

I got it all tested, wired, retested, and put back together.  I have an iPhone 6 plus and an iPod classic, which sits in the glove box.  I thought i was being smart by running the lightning cable to USB1 and out of the dash, and instead of running my ipod classic right to USB2 (thus leaving no USB avail), i used the provide USB extensiion and left this in the glove box.  I tested the ipod to make sure it'd work, which it did.  I installed a new backup camera (fun), and was looking at the menus/setup.  I even went to the extent of putting an HDMI from back of unit to glove box....

I went from an AVIC D3 that i bought used about 6 years ago.  My first impression of the 4100 is wow!  It's got a decent interface, i enjoy the HD radio and Carplay.  I like the different input options, and especially ipod classic controls, which are 1000x faster on this vs the D3. 

Question: I have 10s of thousands of songs on ipod, is there a "search" function?

I then was ready to do the firmware update.  Oooopps!  The site says you have to go through USB1 only for this!  That means i have to tear into my install to get to it! 

Question, should i have done the usb1 with the extension to my ipod classic and used USB2 for iPhone?

My backup camera was also upside down.  I looked through the settings and only saw a "reverse" option, which i am guessing is for mirroring L to R.  I simply phsically flipped the camera over.  Was there a better option?

Lastly, what is the other "camera" input for?  Is this for a dash cam or other camera?

I am very happy i didn't jump for the 4000.  I was close a couple times, and held off.  Glad i did.

I will post updates as i progess in the use of this fine piece of gear.

In order to use Carplay the iPhone has to be connected to USB1, which is also the USB that all the updates go through.  So in my opinion, you should run the USB extention out to USB1 and out your dash, and then you can connect a lightening cable for Carplay and/or easy USB update.  I would just buy another extention and you should be all set with one to the dash and one to your glovebox for your Classic iPod.

Not sure about the reversed back-up camera signal, but the "other" camera is incase you want to hook one up somewhere else outside the car.  Some folks like different angles when towing..ect..or a front facing camera.

I have a 6000 and enjoy it as well.  Didnt realize how good HD Radio was until I got that unit.