AVIC411.com

Waze Coming to Android Auto

I'm a fan of whichever gives the user more choice, the best part of these services is frequent free updates. Apple needs to realize that Apple maps is mostly a dud, shell out and improve or or cut their losses and kill it. I agree for safety reasons there needs to be restrictions on which apps are allowed, but it should be more open.

I'm a fan of whichever gives the user more choice, the best part of these services is frequent free updates. Apple needs to realize that Apple maps is mostly a dud, shell out and improve or or cut their losses and kill it. I agree for safety reasons there needs to be restrictions on which apps are allowed, but it should be more open.

I believe that Apple maps has improved a lot. Where I live, I have had no issues with it. The reason Apple had to start creating their own maps app was that Google was not updating Google maps on iOS. Once Apple maps came out, Google all of a sudden brought out a new improved maps app. You can still use google maps and Waze on iOS devices, so there is choice. But I prefer Apple maps with CarPlay to the standard NEX navigation. No comparison.

I definitely think it has improved but its not good enough for me. It's difficult to input an address or find locations on the NEX, and Siri usually makes it much easier. But Apple Maps has been very hit or miss for me. Google Maps and others have much better data to work with and Apple is still playing catch up in my opinion. Apple needs to add more features like speed maps, and lane guidance in iOS 9. Maps can no longer be a low priority with carplay expansion this year. Beta period is over.

Apple Maps has greatly improved, but it still has a WAZE to go before going toe to toe with Googles two punch knock out that is Google Maps and Waze. Ever since they bought out Waze, and integrated Google Maps, Waze solidified as the best of all worlds. Excellent mapping, with crowdsourced live information. Apple needs to do the same with its maps app. Being able to see live-actual traffic speeds, cops, construction, and communicate with other cars ahead (or behind) you has proved "revolutionary" when I travel long distances using Waze.

GOOD! This is a defining feature for android auto that will push apple to open carplay up to 3rd party mapping solutions. Apple maps isn't bad for navigating to somewhere I haven't been, but I use waze mostly for figuring out how to get around traffic and accidents during rush hour. Apple Maps is utterly useless for that. I am not an android user, but any competition to carplay will hopefully push apple to make carplay better. 

I definitely agree that it will lead to more 3rd party options for CarPlay. I thought the article was interesting in pointing out possibilities that come with connected cars that I never thought of, such as weather conditions. Apple has partnered with many providers like TomTom, I see no reason why there isn't better traffic avoidance. I have had issues where it doesn't provide any options to avoid toll roads.

I guess it really depends on what you want out of a navigation system. For me, where I live, I don't need heavy traffic work around or toll road info. I just want to know how to get from point A to point B. And I would rather have voice controlled navigation though Siri than the crowd sourcing directions. I can see the use for that in more densely populated areas, but half of the country lives in the sparse land like I do.

It would be nice to have third party traffic plugins that would overlay on top of Apple maps so I could have those options when I needed them, and still have voice control.

I guess it really depends on what you want out of a navigation system. For me, where I live, I don't need heavy traffic work around or toll road info. I just want to know how to get from point A to point B. And I would rather have voice controlled navigation though Siri than the crowd sourcing directions. I can see the use for that in more densely populated areas, but half of the country lives in the sparse land like I do.

It would be nice to have third party traffic plugins that would overlay on top of Apple maps so I could have those options when I needed them, and still have voice control.

I know where most places are where I live because I know most of the major centers where stuff is. Most times I just need to know what is the easiest way to get from point A-B that avoids traffic today. Yesterday I took one highway because it had no traffic. Today I took a completely different route because that highway had an accident. I've seen waze and google maps change their minds entirely and on the fly because of something that happened only minutes ago  that ruined traffic. That is what I want more than anything else out of apple maps. The security of thought that the path it is currently giving me is the fastest way to get there. 

Definitely report that to apple in the report a problem section in the maps app. I had trouble getting to a storage facility this weekend, it was visble from the highway but I could not see any of the roads on the map. Its one of those things where if you can't do it well let someone else do it. I dont think apple should sink money into a product they arent willing to fix. When the carplay user base expands in the next year, they will get alot more negative attention.