AVIC411.com

NaviExtras doesn't see my USB thumb drive!?!?

First time user just had an 8100 installed, trying to update the map firmware.  I have used 2 separate USB drives on 2 separate computers running Windows 7 (one virtual on a Mac, the other an Acer desktop) and get the same result.  I format them with FAT32, then into the HU to run SyncTool which works fine and indicates USB drive is ready.  I have installed NaviExtras, it tells me to connect my USB drive.  Plug in the USB drive and nothing.  The computer sees the drive and I can use the drive with any other application that interacts with removable storage device.  NaviExtras indicates no device connected.  When I try to "log into account" (don't have one yet, would need to make one) it tells me to connect my device by USB cable to continue.  Can't see my device so no way to continue.  Just stuck.  Any suggestions?

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Try switching the USB port that you're using. Only one of the usb ports can be used for updating. There is also another spot that can only be updated with the micro sd slot.

Thanks.  The HU itself sees the USB drive and will run through the SyncTool process without any issue.  It's my computer that isn't seeing the USB drive.  Are you suggesting that, even though the USB port on the HU that I have used seems to be seeing the USB drive and performing the SyncTool operation, I should still try the other USB drive on the HU?

had such a problem when i updated my maps also. I think the problem is the navixtras app itself, and they should upgrade it to support USB drives better. My "solution" was to transfer the data from the usb drive to a sdcard. connect the sdcard to my computer, do the update. then transfer the data from the sdcard back to the usb drive/stick. then upgrade the unit with it.

had such a problem when i updated my maps also. I think the problem is the navixtras app itself, and they should upgrade it to support USB drives better. My "solution" was to transfer the data from the usb drive to a sdcard. connect the sdcard to my computer, do the update. then transfer the data from the sdcard back to the usb drive/stick. then upgrade the unit with it.

SpecTrax, can you share the specific steps you took?  I have done the following:

1. Format USB drive for FAT32.

2. Insert USB drive into USB cable from 8100 and run SyncTool.

3. Insert USB drive (now formatted and with SyncTool completed) into computer which is not recognized by NaviExtras.

Can you share how the above would be modified or augmented to complete the process that worked for you?  Thanks very much in advance.

SpecTrax, can you share the specific steps you took?  I have done the following:

2. Insert USB drive into USB cable from 8100 and run SyncTool.

3. Insert USB drive (now formatted and with SyncTool completed) into computer which is not recognized by NaviExtras.

Can you share how the above would be modified or augmented to complete the process that worked for you?  Thanks very much in advance.

2. Insert USB drive into USB cable from 8100/8000 and run SyncTool.

3. Copy the complete content of the USB drive to an FAT32 formated SDcard (including folders, also give the sdcard the same name as the usb drive) with your computer. (do not use a microsd, use an SDHCcard).

4. Insert the SDcard to your memorycard-reader and run NaviExtras Toolbox. Card and content should now be detected. If not, try to reconnect sdcard.

5. Follow onscreen instructions and make your modifications/upgrades.

6. DELETE/format the USB drive again.

7. Copy updated sdcard (all files and folders) back to the USB drive

8. Connect usb drive to your unit and do the upgrade as manual states.

worked with my 8000 unit and map update

2. Insert USB drive into USB cable from 8100/8000 and run SyncTool.

3. Copy the complete content of the USB drive to an FAT32 formated SDcard (including folders, also give the sdcard the same name as the usb drive) with your computer. (do not use a microsd, use an SDHCcard).

4. Insert the SDcard to your memorycard-reader and run NaviExtras Toolbox. Card and content should now be detected. If not, try to reconnect sdcard.

5. Follow onscreen instructions and make your modifications/upgrades.

6. DELETE/format the USB drive again.

7. Copy updated sdcard (all files and folders) back to the USB drive

8. Connect usb drive to your unit and do the upgrade as manual states.

worked with my 8000 unit and map update

I thought this was just for the nex100 - you updated your 8000? (nex000)?  what is new in the update?  so we can update our maps from the nex100 series update?

I thought this was just for the nex100 - you updated your 8000? (nex000)?  what is new in the update?  so we can update our maps from the nex100 series update?

i have the European F60DAB/NEX8000. And the map update (2014) was part of my deal when i bought it. Dunno with yours....

• 1 month later...

Please see my notes below.

1. Format USB drive for FAT32. Did that

2. Insert USB drive into USB cable from 8100/8000 and run SyncTool. SyncTool will not find my card. Tried to connect my phone for SyncTool via bluetooth and USB. Yet I can connect Android Auto, via USB, and or my phone contacts via bluetooth. This is as far as I can get. Naviextras will not recognize my USB nor my SD card.

What else can I try to get this update installed?

Did you try USB port 1?

I have my hard drive plugged into there. I guess I could see if it has the same plug as my phone.

Other that that, I'm  not gonna tear my dash out, pull the radio out and switch cords.

Why can't they just go back to the old way, and let us download it to an sd card, plug the sd card into the HU and done?!?!?!

Went out to my car and confirmed that USB 2 does work. Kingston Data Traveler 8 GB is what I used. If you are trying to use your phone as a virtual USB, and not an actual USB stick, that might be the problem. Or, if you are leaving your hard drive plugged in, it to might be interfering.