AVIC411.com

Question About AVIC 7100NEX

Hello,

Have a question about the AVIC 7100NEX.

It is my understanding that for Android Functionality, the following modes can be used:

• Android Auto
  • Mirror Link (I understand this just mirrors the phone screen to the NEX Screen)
  • Appradiomode
  • Appradiolive

My question is, if my Galaxy Note 4.0 with Lollipop OS is hooked up through a MHL Adapter (Which uses both a micro-usb and HDMI Connection) would I be able to use which ever mode I choose from the above four or only some of the modes can be used?

If only some of the modes can be used, Can Android Auto and Mirror Link be used at least?

Obviously can’t use both at the same time but could I switch between the two?

That’s what I would be interested in the most.

Also was considering the 4100NEX and I think these questions would apply to that unit also.

Would appreciate any feedback.

Thanks

Jay

I cannot explain the Appradiolive parts because I have never used them.

Any reason why you want to MHL your phone screen to the Nav unit?  I actually prefer just Android Auto.  I have no need to use the actual screen of my phone while driving.  To have my text messages read to me, and Google Now integration with the headunit is perfect for me.  But we all know each person has different results, thats why I was asking what you were looking for out of it.

Of course if someone is in the truck with me, i dont have my text messages read to me ;)

Hello PaisanNYC

Thanks for your input.

Can I ask what type of connection you use? And what phone you use?

I was thinking/assuming that an MHL Adapter would allow me to use Android Auto and or Screen Mirroring (not at the same time of course).

I would like screen mirroring at times when I am in my car for long periods of time (Not Driving), say waiting in the car for an hour while my Wife is shopping.

I could watch Netflix or Youtube through screen mirroring.

But perhaps I am wrong in my thinking that the MHL Adapter will allow both functions?

Jay

1. to control your phone from HU, u need MHL adapter+usb and appradio or rooted phone with AppRadio Unchained (old version free) not the one from PlayStore cost 30$

2. to use Android Auto you only need USB and setup from HU selected Android Auto.

3. Mirror Link nothing more but a joke, is not working and never going to work, no app on the phone allow mirror link.

i am using S4 att with root 5.0.1

I have a Nexus 6 phone.  My installation is a little more involved.  I have a Google Chromecast stick plugged into the HDMI plug in my 8100NEX.  I use the hotspot feature on my phone, and can watch Netflix, Hulu, or many other apps that can "cast" right on my headunit. I understand the long shopping trips, thats why i set it up like that lol

Hello,

It is my understanding that for Android Functionality, the following modes can be used:

• Android Auto
  • Mirror Link (I understand this just mirrors the phone screen to the NEX Screen)
  • Appradiomode
  • Appradiolive

My question is, if my Galaxy Note 4.0 with Lollipop OS is hooked up through a MHL Adapter (Which uses both a micro-usb and HDMI Connection) would I be able to use which ever mode I choose from the above four or only some of the modes can be used?

If only some of the modes can be used, Can Android Auto and Mirror Link be used at least?

Also was considering the 4100NEX and I think these questions would apply to that unit also.

Thanks

Jay

to answer your questions.

1st appradiolive is app used when app radio is on.

2nd AppRadio uses mhl adapter for video and audio, BT for communication with phone. smartphone setting to digital adapter

3rd Android Auto uses usb/miniusb cable, smartphone setting to usb, and use usb2 input

4th When using MHL adapter the usb only is for charging, and is not communicating with phone, if usb2 input is chosen as input, head unit will say incompatible device.(If you want to have both inputs available, connect your usb to mini-usb cord to usb2, for android auto. and connect another usb to mini-usb from car charger to mhl adapter, then all you have to do is go to smartphone settings and choose either usb or digital adapter for the mode you want to use) Like one of the previous posts, Rooted phone with ARUnchained, is the best app radio experience, 

Hello,

• Android Auto
  • Appradiomode
  • Appradiolive

Thanks

Jay

If you are running Android 5.0 Lollipop, you will not be able to use Mirrorlink on any of the AVIC models. The Pioneer units use Mirrorlink 1.0 and the lollipop update uses Mirrorlink 1.1. Pioneer does not plan on updating the firmware the support the updated Mirrorlink. I have a AVIC-7100NEX and a Note Edge. the only way i have been able to connect to the unit is through bluetooth and Android Auto. If you use the MHL to HDI adapter, it will mirror your phones screen so you can use any application. However, you will not be able to use the touchscreen on the head unit to control the phone.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 5.0 lollipop Note 4 and trying to get it connected to use android auto and cannot get it to work (stereo is running latest firmware update). How did you do this? I'm pretty frustrated as I have a 1000 dollar stereo and cannot even use the best feature. HELP PLEASE! lol

a few questions. 

Did you download android auto from play store?

Is your phone hooked up to usb2 on the head unit?

In your smartphone settings on the head unit set to USB?

In smartphone settings, is Android Auto enabled?

After making sure all this is done, and no connect, reset the head unit(little pinhole on far right of manual buttons) and reboot phone.

Hopefully one of these have not been done. If all are correct, try a different usb to micro-usb cable.(this has worked for several who had connection problems)

good luck, buddy

Side note: I am using the original samsung usb to micro-usb and it is saying incompatible USB I believe....don't know if this helps or not....

This could be that the phone usb setting is for charge only. You may have to change the setting to file transfer or something like that. I have not used android in a while. But when in charge only mode, the head unit cannot communicate with the phone, just charge it.

I have the 4100NEX, my answers should apply to both units.

For AppRadio you need to use the MHL adaptor, it only works via HDMI.  AppRadio Live is an add on to enhance functions of AppRadio, it includes it's own music player, a navigation system, ability to read news feeds and access to your personal calendar once you link it.

I have an HTC One M9 running Android 5.02 and it DOES work with mirrorlink, several built in apps on my phone including the dialer and "Car Home" are mirror link enabled, there are many "Car Home" type apps available in the Play store that are also mirrorlink enabled.  I found that the mirrorlink connection was very slow and flakey but it could be the way I had it set up.  Mirrorlink only requires a micro USB cable to be attached.

Android Auto works extremely well, I find that is is fast and easy to use. Only needs a Micro USB cable to be attached.

You can switch between AA and Mirrorlink by going into the connection settings on the head unit.

Is the cable you are using just a charging cable, or is it both a data & charging cable? Don't come back and say its the OEM cable that came with your phone.  You need to read the manual. Make sure the cable you have is a data cable, not just a charging cable.  If you need a new one, you can get a Monoprice or Anker micro-USB data cable on Amazon with prime shipping for a couple of bucks.

If you have a 7100NEX and a Note 4 with Lollipop OS, I would not bother with any other smartphone integration besides Android Auto (unless you absolutely need to use Waze).

To set this up, take the following steps before connecting anything in your car:

Go to the Google Play Store and download the Android Auto app.

You may also want to download/upgrade the Google app, Google Maps, and Google Play Music as well. Android Auto uses these for their interface.

On your phone, make sure you have the latest security policy update, by going to Settings > Security > Security Policy Updates. This will ensure that Google microphone controls will work.

Now, head to your 7100NEX.

Before connecting anything, go to Settings (gear icon) and then to Input/Output Settings > Smartphone Setup.

Choose Others, then USB2.

Now, make sure you are parked with brake on, or bypassed.

Connect your phone to USB2 using a MicroUSB high-speed cable. It does not need to be Samsung OEM, but it needs to be USB 2.0 compliant for data/charging or higher.

If all goes well, either Android Auto will auto-launch, or you can launch it from the home screen.

Follow the prompts on your phone and enjoy.