AVIC411.com

avic-8100-nex android auto not working

I just finished installing avic-8100-nex in my 07 ford expedition xlt. I upgraded firmware from 1.01 to 1.03. I grounded the parking brake wire to ground (black wire in harness). And I did the software bypass. I paired BT on my phone with the head unit. I have a CCAUSB 2.0 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001GXQMXE?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00connected to USB port 2. I installed android auto on my nexus 5. When I connect the phone using an LG USB cable that came with the phone, android auto icon appears on the head unit. But when I press and hold that icon, android auto screen flashes on my phone and then I see a message on the head unit that says "cannot connect to Android auto, check your phone when it is safe". I also notice the same message with the stock USB A cable that was shipped with the unit. With a USB micro cable that i have i was not able to get any response from android auto at all. Although i can see my phone charging. Could this be because I have the parking bypass? Or is it USB cable related? Can someone please help?

OK this morning I connected the parking brake to the parking brake on the harness, ie canceled the bypass, I set the software bypass to "set off". Uninstalled android auto on my phone. I depressed the brake pedal, and connected the phone (nexus 5) to port2. It initiated an install of android auto and apps, showed me an " accept " screen on my phone, nothing on the head unit yet, followed by, "agree/decline" and then nothing. When I switch mode I see " android auto cannot connect, when it is safe to do so check your android phone." I have tried a few of the USB cables that I have and I can't get past the issue. Any help very much appreciated.

I have the same issue. I have the parking brake wire from the Pioneer head unit grounded.
I also have "SET ON" activated as described in the pinned thread in the forum.
I have tested this with a DVD. If I switch it to SET OFF, DVDs will not play in the head unit.

However, when I try to set up Android Auto I get a message on my phone that my car needs to be parked to start the set up.
Has anyone with an 8100NEX and the bypass got this to work?
Or do I need the microbypass to truly send a "parking brake on" message to the phone?

Here are the scenarios that I have tested:

Parking brake to electrical grounded: android auto cannot connect, when it is safe check your phone message.

Parking brake connected to parking brake:android auto cannot connect, when it is safe check your phone message.

I have tried 3 different USB cables, and with one of then it seems to launch something, but exits with a message "Google play service has exited unexpectedly."

I am using a Metra XSVI-5520-NAV harness for all the wiring to my ford expedition xlt. Any help deeply appreciated.

"android auto cannot connect..." has nothing whatsoever to do with your parking brake.  It's more related to the android auto app on the phone not being ready or waiting for the answer to some prompt.

In fact, as far as I've been able to determine, android auto uses it's own sensors to determine if you're stopped or not (and ignores parking brakes and/or brake bypasses.)  

I know you tried a bunch of different cables for the phone, but maybe its the clarion adapter you purchased?

I did something similar to you. I have an '08 Expedition, and i removed the cigarette lighter outlet at the bottom of the dash by the shifter.  I installed these two parts from Chevy, a USB outlet with a little door on it.   The nice part of this item is, is that there is no cable permanently attached to the back of it, and it isn't a proprietary harness on the back.  It is a MicroUSB on the back to connect with the head unit.  so if the cable between the plug and headunit ever go bad, i can just switch out the cable cheap and easy,

Look at this site for pics, but I bought these two on eBay for about $15-20 cheaper.

http://www.am-autoparts.com/Chevy/Express-3500-Van/electrical-auto-parts/AM-3398898029/940810.html

I know you tried a bunch of different cables for the phone, but maybe its the clarion adapter you purchased?

I did something similar to you. I have an '08 Expedition, and i removed the cigarette lighter outlet at the bottom of the dash by the shifter.  I installed these two parts from Chevy, a USB outlet with a little door on it.   The nice part of this item is, is that there is no cable permanently attached to the back of it, and it isn't a proprietary harness on the back.  It is a MicroUSB on the back to connect with the head unit.  so if the cable between the plug and headunit ever go bad, i can just switch out the cable cheap and easy,

Look at this site for pics, but I bought these two on eBay for about $15-20 cheaper.

http://www.am-autoparts.com/Chevy/Express-3500-Van/electrical-auto-parts/AM-3398898029/940810.html

That is very interesting, so put the kit in, and connect the microUSB end to the adapter and the USB end to the headunit ? I will check my clarion cable and make sure that it is not the culprit. 

A previous poster mentioned that the phone has sensors to determine is I am parked... this might sound crazy but I have been holding the phone in my hand while I try to do the setup ... does the phone recognize that as not being parked? 

So I can verify that with the clarion adapter, when I connect my phone to the head unit, I do see the Android Auto icon. But when I click the icon or the "mode" button I see the "Android Auto cannot connect... blah" message. I was not holding the phone in my hand this time, I left it on the center console. Also, when you guys see the "Accept" than then the "Agree/decline" messages you do you see it on the phone or on the head unit ? Coz for me those messages popup on the phone. 

I contacted Pioneer customer/Tech support regarding this issue. I am told that  "Android Auto cannot connect right now. When it is safe to do so, please check your Android phone."  means that my phone is not supported. Tech support tells me that they get this same question all the time and they say it could mean one of the following 1) my provider (T-Moble) in my area does not support Android auto 2) My device is not supported by Android Auto. Which is crazy I think because I have a Nexus 5, google's flagship phone and Tmobile ("the uncarrier") and I am based on central Texas. I somehow can't believe pioneer tech-support's explanation.  When I connect my Nexus 10 tablet for example, it display a message saying this device is not supported, so "Android Auto cannot connect.."  message should mean something else. 

Is there anyone on this forum who got Android Auto working with Nexus 5, T-Mobile in the central Texas area?

I contacted Pioneer customer/Tech support regarding this issue. I am told that  "Android Auto cannot connect right now. When it is safe to do so, please check your Android phone."  means that my phone is not supported. Tech support tells me that they get this same question all the time and they say it could mean one of the following 1) my provider (T-Moble) in my area does not support Android auto 2) My device is not supported by Android Auto. Which is crazy I think because I have a Nexus 5, google's flagship phone and Tmobile ("the uncarrier") and I am based on central Texas. I somehow can't believe pioneer tech-support's explanation.  When I connect my Nexus 10 tablet for example, it display a message saying this device is not supported, so "Android Auto cannot connect.."  message should mean something else. 

Is there anyone on this forum who got Android Auto working with Nexus 5, T-Mobile in the central Texas area?

They lied to you. A service provider has nothing to do with this.  I have both a Nexus 5 and Nexus 6, both work flawlessly with Android Auto (oh and yes I use T-Mobile also), Did you update your N5 to Lollipop?

They lied to you. A service provider has nothing to do with this.  I have both a Nexus 5 and Nexus 6, both work flawlessly with Android Auto (oh and yes I use T-Mobile also), Did you update your N5 to Lollipop?

Yes I have version 5.1.1 and google play service version 7.5.71. Should I return the HU ? 

Manjo, first - please keep it to a single thread.  I've been trying to help you, but you keep taking the one issue jumping between threads. 

Second, the "Android Auto cannot connect right now. When it is safe to do so, please check your Android phone." issue has nothing whatsoever to do with parking brakes, bypasses, etc.

Android Auto doesn't seem to use the head unit's parking brake detection whatsoever.  I have the brake bypassed in my unit (8100), and the head unit plays DVD's without the brake, etc.  However, android auto's maps hides the "search" box while I'm moving and shows it when I'm stopped (which indicates that it uses it's own movement detection.)

So, to what is apparently your real issue:  The "cannot connect right now" message:

This might seem obvious, but the obvious should be checked anyway:  

Is the Android Auto app installed on your Nexus5?  Are the apps all up to date?  In particular, google play services, google play music, google maps, etc?  Are you sure that you're plugging into USB2 on the head unit (and not USB1?)

Usually, when I get that message (and I do on occasion) there's some prompt on my phone that I have to acknowledge before android audo can fully start.  Often times, it's some silly thing like Play Music asking me if I want to subscribe.  So, did you stop your car and check your phone?

When android auto is running and the phone is attached, you should see notification icons for "car mode" and "android auto."  When you unlock the phone, you should see the android auto splash screen (which is different than when you run the android auto app on your phone manually.)

Oh, it might not matter, but turn on "usb debugging" in the developer options.  It seems to help some people.  

Finally, please describe, in detail, the steps to repeat the issue. Please don't make assumptions about what might be obvious and what might not be.  For example, you might start with:

I start my car, and after pressing OK on the warning screen on the head unit, I plug Nexus 2 phone (running android 5.21)  into the USB3 port on the back of the radio.  I then press the HOME button on the radio, and see "android auto" in the upper left corner of the radio.  I press that, and I get a message stating, "blah, blah, blah."  If I look at my phone, the screen is off.  I turn on the screen and I see "blah, blah, blah."  When I unlock the phone, I see "blah, blah, blah."

Gary

Finally got it to work ... here is the long story.

Hardware: AVIC-8100NEX, Ford Expedition XLT, Metra XSVI-5520-NAV  harness, Clarion CCAUSB 2.0 pass through connected to USB port 2. FriEQ microUSB cable. No Hardware or software bypass.
Phone: Nexus5, android 5.1.1, Google Play Service 7.5.71, T-mobile, located in CTX area.

Here is what I had on my phone. I had 3 accounts - work, school and personal. My phone was encrypted and I had pattern lock to unlock. I booted into recovery, formatted cache, wiped data, and setup my phone as a new phone and did not encrypt the phone, and with no lock set. I set GPS to use "device only" instead of "high accuracy".  I did the updates that google suggested after a cache and data wipe and re-setup. As a result Google Play services was updated to 7.5.71, maps, google and other apps. I signed in with my personal gmail, did not setup my work or school account. 

Set up bluetooth connection between phone and head unit. Put the truck in park, depressed my parking brake, held the foot brake pedal down and connected the phone to USB cable. It installed Android Auto, and took me through the setup and the headunit showed me the Android screen. It was really exciting to see it working! 
  • 1 year later...

Please allow me to make it even more clear to anyone with the "Android Auto will resume when your car's parked" issue:

This is not a bug made by Google, the smartphone manufacturer, or the head unit manufacturer.

Android Auto will not allow you to complete the setup on a bypassed head unit. You have to keep the normal wiring configuration in order to finish the setup.

If your head unit allows you to watch video while driving (no "caution" screen displayed), then it should be a bypassed one. Some car audio installer may do the bypass without telling their customers.

When the Android Auto became stupid and didn't see my parking brake engaged, I just told the car audio guy to remove the bypass and it solved the problem perfectly. I did not do anything with my phone or the software settings of my head unit.