AVIC411.com

Startup/Power Issue with NEX 4100

Just had the 4100 installed at BestBuy a couple days ago. The 4100 will not power on until the car has been started for at least 1-2 minutes. I did update the firmware to 1.03 after the install. Can anyone tell me if this is normal or possible an issue with the install?

It's not typical, but there's no way to know what be "normal" in your particular car.  The radio begins booting immediately when it has power on the yellow and red wires (12v battery and 12v ACC) and a valid ground on the black wire.

I'd bring it back to Best Buy and ask them to wire the harness properly.

I have seen this a couple of times. I just shut the car off and turn the key to ACC, and it usually boots fine, then restart the car.

My guess is the unit is shut down in some state that takes forever to boot. Not sure what that is at this point, but it happens so infrequently it would be impossible to trace.

If this is happening every time you start your car I am guessing it is another issue. Does it behave this way when you boot the unit on the ACC position?

Now that I think about this a bit, I'm guessing this is a timing issue. When you start a car, your head unit is connected to power when the switch goes from LOCK to ON... then it is disconnected from power while the starter motor is engaged, and reconnected to power after the starter motor is disengaged.

Bet there is a certain interval, where the unit is is powered, unpowered, and powered up again where it takes forever for it to startup again. Leave the switch at the on position for a moment before engaging the starter and I bet this never happens.

My car (2015 Subaru Forester) has keyless entry/start so I can not just turn on the ACC. The car fully starts. 

I was just worried that I have a defective unit, but it sounds like it's common. Hopefully a firmware update will resolve this in the future.

My car (2015 Subaru Forester) has keyless entry/start so I can not just turn on the ACC. The car fully starts.

I think if you press the start button with your foot off the brake, it is the same as going to Accessory mode with a key. Pushing it again with foot off will turn it back off.

I also have a 2015 Forester with push button start and I have the exact same issue. Although it takes 30 seconds to a minute to start. I have to think it is caused by the push button start. When I use acc it works fine. It is annoying that my previous kenwood had absolutely no problems.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I have the same problem too.  I have a 2009 Honda Accord, no push button.  It doesn't happen often, but it does happen.  At first I thought it was cause it was reading or connecting to my iPod or iPhone, so I then made sure to have those devices disconnected, but the problem accured again.  So I don't know what the problem is.

Just had the 4100 installed at BestBuy a couple days ago. The 4100 will not power on until the car has been started for at least 1-2 minutes. I did update the firmware to 1.03 after the install. Can anyone tell me if this is normal or possible an issue with the install?

do you have a push button start vehicle?

• 2 weeks later...

I too have had this occasionally. I have found this headunit to be EXTREMELY buggy. I have installed the latest firmware and re-installed the firmware to see if it would correct my issues but it hasn't. If I wasn't going on a road trip at the end of the month is send it off to Puoneer for them to check it out but who knows how long it will take to get it back.

• 4 weeks later...