AVIC411.com

8100Nex with Apple TV and dual zone to back monitor

I'm looking at the 8100Nex for our family SUV. I would like to be able to play movies from my iPhone or iPad but it's my understanding that this won't work on this head unit.

I would also like to be able to have dual zone capabilities and send video to the back flip down monitor doe the kids.

I know an HDMi is available so I was thinking about the possibility of connecting that to the 8100Nex some could play movies from iPhone/iPad. Anyone see problems preventing this from working? If I can get this to work I would like to then use dual zone and/or mirror it to the back monitor for the kids.

Anyone looked into doing this or something similar?

Simplest way for movies to rear screens, rip DVDs or download purchased iTunes movies and convert to unprotected MP4 format and copy to solid state drive and hook up to USB port, or put on sdcard. I have over 200 movies on 256gb sdcard(formatted to fat32) and play on headrest monitors using dual zone.

• 1 month later...

Simplest way for movies to rear screens, rip DVDs or download purchased iTunes movies and convert to unprotected MP4 format and copy to solid state drive and hook up to USB port, or put on sdcard. I have over 200 movies on 256gb sdcard(formatted to fat32) and play on headrest monitors using dual zone.

2 questions from this:

1.) I thought 32GB SD was the largest supported??? (I have an 8000NEX)

2.) Playing movies from SD to rear screen works fantastic, but as soon as I plug in my iPhone, movie stops. SD option becomes very in selectable sources. Here's the odd thing, if I'm playing music from SD card and plug in my iPhone, music continues fine and SD as a source is NOT greed out. Why would videos from SD become a non-option just because the iPhone is connected? I want carplay available while playing movies for kids in the back seat.

Excerpt from owner's manual (SPH-DA120), although it should be the same as an NEX head unit.

Selecting the video for the rear display

You can choose either to show the same image as the front screen or to show the selected source on the rear display.

• This function is not available during a call in Apple CarPlay
  • iPod is not available as a source for the rear display when Apple CarPlay is on.
  • Video Files on the USB storage device cannot be played back when Apple CarPlay is on.