AVIC411.com

AVIC-8100NEX Power Antenna

All -

I purchased the AVIC-8100NEX to install in my '98 Rolls-Royce Silver Spur.

One annoyance that I have is that when the unit is not in HD Radio (AM/FM) mode, the power antenna is extended.  The OEM Alpine radio retracted the retractable antenna when the CD player was in use. 

I do not know if I wired the unit up in correctly or what.  I (thought I) followed in installation instructions correctly, regarding the blue and blue/white wires. 

• Can any (expert) advise how exactly a retractable power antenna should be wired/connected, and,

• Can anyone confirm that this is proper/improper operation of the unit to a power retractable antenna?

Thanks.

-Jeff

The antenna wire from the NEX doubles as the amp power on control. Because of that, the power from it is always on when the NEX is on, or at least when it is sending audio. You will need to install a switch to do what you want.

Correct, the NEX sends signal as soon as it is powered on, does not distinguish between inputs. Whereas the oem has signal for antenna separate from signal to oem amp.

well that just SUX.  :?

If I am not paying close attention at the car wash I am screwed.  I'm wondering if there is anyway to create some kind of external function that could do the same thing?

Im thinking perhaps Pioneer needs to consider a firmware upgrade that would offer an option setting that would allow the blue/white lead to power off when the AM/FM is not in use.

If I am not paying close attention at the car wash I am screwed.  I'm wondering if there is anyway to create some kind of external function that could do the same thing?

Im thinking perhaps Pioneer needs to consider a firmware upgrade that would offer an option setting that would allow the blue/white lead to power off when the AM/FM is not in use.

Installing a simple on/off switch in the circuit should do it. All the wire does is supply 12 volts when the radio is on, so if you put a switch in there, when the switch breaks the circuit the antenna should go down.

I can't remember the last time I saw a new car with a power antenna, so don't count on Pioneer adressing the issue.

• 10 months later...