AVIC411.com

Blind Spot Camera

Hello,

I have a 2015 wrx and just installed the avic 8100 nex, I noticed it has inputs for the reverse camera. I did not use this input as subaru uses the MFD to display the reverse camera. I wanna use the input to wire up a camera that is activate when i use my turn signals. Anyone have an guides on how to do this?

Thanks in advance

I don't have a guide, but you would need to connect the Reverse signal line on the 8100 to something that is at 12 volts when the turn signal is on. That is what causes the 8100 to switch to the camera input automatically.

Note: this will cause problems with the Navigation, as it uses the Reverse signal.

Note: this will cause problems with the Navigation, as it uses the Reverse signal.

I agree it will "affect" navigation, but to degree that will do so for desired purpose???

Navigation uses the VSS (vehicle speed sensor) signal in conjunction with the reverse signal to more accurately anticipate distances, forward and backwards, over what can be discerned solely from the GPS positioning data (i.e. by the time the system processes the positioning data, you are no longer where you were when the unit received that data when moving).

I have to assume blind-spot camera(s) are mostly for changing lanes... and at the point one invokes the turn signal, one has already decided what they are going to do.  The nav' system should self-correct once the turn signal is positioned to off... but there is only one way to find out. :)

I agree it will "affect" navigation, but to degree that will do so for desired purpose???

Navigation uses the VSS (vehicle speed sensor) signal in conjunction with the reverse signal to more accurately anticipate distances, forward and backwards, over what can be discerned solely from the GPS positioning data (i.e. by the time the system processes the positioning data, you are no longer where you were when the unit received that data when moving).

I have to assume blind-spot camera(s) are mostly for changing lanes... and at the point one invokes the turn signal, one has already decided what they are going to do.  The nav' system should self-correct once the turn signal is positioned to off... but there is only one way to find out. :)

I'm not concerned with the GPS from the car as I use google maps through android auto so my phone is computing the nav process. Ideally I wanna add 3 camera one with each turn signal and one in the front of the car so I can see when pulling forward. I want the turn signal camera BC in my Camaro(my 2nd car with avic 8100) the blond spots are horrible. Ive been reading that I can tap into the turn signal because it gets constant power when activated but I'm not sure that the dash would know to switch to the camera view. Thanks!

With just 2 b-spot cameras, and If your turn signal switches B+, you may be able to get by with a couple diodes and an rca y-adapter.  If the turn signal switches ground like my car, in addition you'll probably need a relay.

A front camera signal can probably just be plugged into the AUX input for on-demand usage.  Up to you whether you want the camera powered up via ignition or through manual switch.

With just 2 b-spot cameras, and If your turn signal switches B+, you may be able to get by with a couple diodes and an rca y-adapter.  If the turn signal switches ground like my car, in addition you'll probably need a relay.

A front camera signal can probably just be plugged into the AUX input for on-demand usage.  Up to you whether you want the camera powered up via ignition or through manual switch.

Thanks! Any guide on the turn signal mod you mentioned?

Not being familiar with your vehicle, I am hesitant to provide simple guidance on the mod.  The reason I say this is because I'm not sure what level of power your turn signal switch can handle.  In modern cars, many of the these switches are just designed for low level current to trigger an electronics module.  The minimal mod I mentioned will require the switch handle full power of the each camera.  Not that camera power requirement is all that high, but if it is higher than the switch is designed for, the switch may experienced radically premature failure.

If you can obtain a circuit diagram of the turn signal, it may help.

One way to get around this is to use essentially a 12V micro-plc.  They have comparatively high impedance inputs and usually dry-contact outputs, which would have minimal impact on the switch portion of the circuit.  You may need this anyway if your switch common goes to ground rather than B+.

The minimal mod suggested is also based on the premise that each camera would be powered up as needed, and their outputs could be y-adapted to the head unit input.  This assumes a "dead" output of one camera will not interfere with the "live" output of the other.  I am uncertain if this would be true.  If it is not, or camera power up is to slow, you'll have to go with power up on ignition, and then use an electronically-triggered video switcher....

This could be a rather complex undertaking. :)

Not being familiar with your vehicle, I am hesitant to provide simple guidance on the mod.  The reason I say this is because I'm not sure what level of power your turn signal switch can handle.  In modern cars, many of the these switches are just designed for low level current to trigger an electronics module.  The minimal mod I mentioned will require the switch handle full power of the each camera.  Not that camera power requirement is all that high, but if it is higher than the switch is designed for, the switch may experienced radically premature failure.

If you can obtain a circuit diagram of the turn signal, it may help.

One way to get around this is to use essentially a 12V micro-plc.  They have comparatively high impedance inputs and usually dry-contact outputs, which would have minimal impact on the switch portion of the circuit.  You may need this anyway if your switch common goes to ground rather than B+.

The minimal mod suggested is also based on the premise that each camera would be powered up as needed, and their outputs could be y-adapted to the head unit input.  This assumes a "dead" output of one camera will not interfere with the "live" output of the other.  I am uncertain if this would be true.  If it is not, or camera power up is to slow, you'll have to go with power up on ignition, and then use an electronically-triggered video switcher....

This could be a rather complex undertaking. :)

wow that does seem quite complex. Certainly above my knowledge level on the subject. I'll have to continue to search around till a step by step comes up