AVIC411.com

Any alternatives for those with more than 15,000 files/1,500 folders?

Any alternatives for those with more than 15,000 files/1,500 folders?

Can I have 15,000 files/1,500 folders in both SD Card/USB HDD...total 30,000 files/3,000 folders?

or is the max 15,000 files/1,500 folders between both SD Card/USB HDD?

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The limit is for both combined.

I've only run across two possible alternatives:

1. Mod an iPod Classic 120 or 160 GB model, swapping out the HDD with an adapter and a higher capacity SSD.
  2. Set up a wireless DLNA media server and use smartphone as player (requires DLNA-player capable app).

I have not tried either.

Regarding latter, I believe there are several models of wireless portable HD's which offer this capability out of the box.

Found some info on the web about modding iPod.  I purchased the adapter but not the SSD.  No plans for immediate future.

It's been awhile since I researched either avenue so can't offer any further details.

Currently I download a ~1,000 song playlist of lossless files to my 120GB iPod Classic, and that only uses up about 30GB.  Update as necessary.... but since I am not into new music, that's not very often.  I have over 17,000 files in the "active" directories on my computer, and probably a total over 50,000 if I include library directories I have obtained through others (which include a lot of low bit-rate and obscure-artist files I choose not to tolerate in my active directory).

The real question here is how much availability do you really need in your vehicle?

The limit is for both combined.

I've only run across two possible alternatives:

1. Mod an iPod Classic 120 or 160 GB model, swapping out the HDD with an adapter and a higher capacity SSD.
  2. Set up a wireless DLNA media server and use smartphone as player (requires DLNA-player capable app).

I have not tried either.

Regarding latter, I believe there are several models of wireless portable HD's which offer this capability out of the box.

Found some info on the web about modding iPod.  I purchased the adapter but not the SSD.  No plans for immediate future.

It's been awhile since I researched either avenue so can't offer any further details.

Currently I download a ~1,000 song playlist of lossless files to my 120GB iPod Classic, and that only uses up about 30GB.  Update as necessary.... but since I am not into new music, that's not very often.  I have over 17,000 files in the "active" directories on my computer, and probably a total over 50,000 if I include library directories I have obtained through others (which include a lot of low bit-rate and obscure-artist files I choose not to tolerate in my active directory).

The real question here is how much availability do you really need in your vehicle?

I have close to 600GB of music (flac/320kbps mp3)...when I put a quarter of my collection onto a HDD the index scan freezes.

I was hoping I can fill each(sd card+usb hdd) having a total of 30,000 files

I currently have about 23,000 files hanging off of a 256GB SSD on my 8100NEX. It works. However, the queue up time when you switch to USB1 takes about 45-90 seconds before you can play music. the same thing goes for when you first turn it on. Luckily, that time barely even gets me off my street, so I've learned to deal with it. It's not a perfect solution, but it does work. I formatted to fat32 because my tests showed that it loaded a bit faster than NTFS. I also manually sorted the files using the fatsort linux utility (I think such utilities exist for Windows and others) so I can browse music alphabetically by folder.

an iPod is definitely a bit more of a seamless solution, but my issue was that a certain portion of my files (I believe due to something in the metadata that I hadn't been able to determine) would not play on the iPod. It's not an uncommon problem from what I've seen and I'd been trying to figure out for years how to reliably fix it.

Yes, the 15K/1.5K limitation is a letdown, as I'd like to have at least double that capacity.  The Clarion VX405 claims to support 65,535 folders/65,535 files via USB, but I don't know if that's a theoretical limit - it could bog down after 1,000 files.   Ideally I'd be able to have my entire PC music collection (about 100K files, mostly FLAC) on tap in the car, but the only other way to do that would be a CarPC, but that's more complicated and more difficult to access my lifetime SiriusXM account.  I wonder if the 15K/1.5K limitation is a hardware or software limitation?

I currently have about 23,000 files hanging off of a 256GB SSD on my 8100NEX. It works. However, the queue up time when you switch to USB1 takes about 45-90 seconds before you can play music. the same thing goes for when you first turn it on. Luckily, that time barely even gets me off my street, so I've learned to deal with it. It's not a perfect solution, but it does work. I formatted to fat32 because my tests showed that it loaded a bit faster than NTFS. I also manually sorted the files using the fatsort linux utility (I think such utilities exist for Windows and others) so I can browse music alphabetically by folder.

an iPod is definitely a bit more of a seamless solution, but my issue was that a certain portion of my files (I believe due to something in the metadata that I hadn't been able to determine) would not play on the iPod. It's not an uncommon problem from what I've seen and I'd been trying to figure out for years how to reliably fix it.

Reviewing the manual http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Car/NEX/AVIC-8100NEX

Page 245

The max amount of files withing usb storage/sd memory card is 15,000........so your system works fine with 23,000 files :/

Reviewing the manual http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Car/NEX/AVIC-8100NEX

Page 245

The max amount of files withing usb storage/sd memory card is 15,000........so your system works fine with 23,000 files :/

He is using SSD and the way I follow, the limitation is with SD not SSD. He also stated his SSD is formatted to FAT 32 which also has limitations but I have no idea what those are. However, FAT 32 is the format requirement for the head unit. Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think you can format a drive over 500GB w/FAT 32.