AVIC411.com

Any alternatives for those with more than 15,000 files/1,500 folders?

I have a 128gb 6plus.....have about less than 3gb left

With T-Mobile spotify/pandora/apple music does not count against data plan.

In 2015 1,500 folder/15,000 media file limit is inexcusable

I agree with you and have a feeling it will be awhile before the car stereo manufactors build there car stereos for current technologies. But then again, probably their ploy to get us to update/replace our units every two years. As I count, that's about how often I do, and only for the newest gimmick they throw at us. Hell, if I had enough room in my dash, I'd throw in a nice home receiver and be done the life of my car. Home units are right on it, why can't the car manufactors to this......

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with you and have a feeling it will be awhile before the car stereo manufactors build there car stereos for current technologies. But then again, probably their ploy to get us to update/replace our units every two years. As I count, that's about how often I do, and only for the newest gimmick they throw at us. Hell, if I had enough room in my dash, I'd throw in a nice home receiver and be done the life of my car. Home units are right on it, why can't the car manufactors to this......

For me it's not cost effective to change every 2,3,4 years

I was able to price match my 4000NEX from an authorized dealer using an amazon price. +Installation/cables

I can't afford it

I have a question for anyone using an SSD. That is what I am using but when trying to do a song search, just using the 'fwd' button on the HU, it will not let you 'rev' to the previous song. Has anyone seen this and how, if so, did you correct that? Kinda sucks sometimes if you accidently hit the fwd button and want to back up to the previous song.

I have a question for anyone using an SSD. That is what I am using but when trying to do a song search, just using the 'fwd' button on the HU, it will not let you 'rev' to the previous song. Has anyone seen this and how, if so, did you correct that? Kinda sucks sometimes if you accidently hit the fwd button and want to back up to the previous song.

My smaller USB (64g) drive works fine searching forward and back. However the 1TB SSD USB drive takes forever searching backwards and a lot slower searching forward when compared to the smaller USB drives. I also notice music info is hit and miss on the 1TB drive. Sometimes it pops up at the end of a track, sometime nada. Large formatted USB drives are a pain in the rear. I wish more people that tried this were more up front with the problems with these large formatted SSD drives.

I haven't seen one post stating these issues, other than to say "yea, I did it and it works great". Ha, no throphies given from here, but it does help build my 'ignore' BS list.

OH I take that back, One guy stated after the fact of trying this "I should have said the first load could take up to 20 minutes or longer,". I still offer no help trophies here, how can you do that when someone leads you into land mines,, and probably laughing all the while. It doesn't matter going forward. I can't here that person any longer...

My smaller USB (64g) drive works fine searching forward and back. However the 1TB SSD USB drive takes forever searching backwards and a lot slower searching forward when compared to the smaller USB drives. I also notice music info is hit and miss on the 1TB drive. Sometimes it pops up at the end of a track, sometime nada. Large formatted USB drives are a pain in the rear. I wish more people that tried this were more up front with the problems with these large formatted SSD drives.

I haven't seen one post stating these issues, other than to say "yea, I did it and it works great". Ha, no throphies given from here, but it does help build my 'ignore' BS list.

OH I take that back, One guy stated after the fact of trying this "I should have said the first load could take up to 20 minutes or longer,". I still offer no help trophies here, how can you do that when someone leads you into land mines,, and probably laughing all the while. It doesn't matter going forward. I can't here that person any longer...

I'm using the MyDigitalSSD 128GB. Can't search backwards at all. Really sucks. My music info works fine though.

I'm using the MyDigitalSSD 128GB. Can't search backwards at all. Really sucks. My music info works fine though.

Anything over 64g seems to be a pain. The 128 is slow, but better if u format to Fat32. Don't go any beyond the 128G and don't listen to anyone that tells you it works great,, there're FOS. I really think you will be happy at 64g. Seems to be a real sweet spot

Anything over 64g seems to be a pain. The 128 is slow, but better if u format to Fat32. Don't go any beyond the 128G and don't listen to anyone that tells you it works great,, there're FOS. I really think you will be happy at 64g. Seems to be a real sweet spot

Will the 64 be able to 'backup' to previous songs though? That's the only issue I am having.

captkirk,

First of all, I could give a rats rear, who you listen to on this forum, or what you believe. Second, this thread is about the folder and file limit of the head unit. Not about searching forward, backward etc. The reason the larger drives seem glitchy, is due to the large number of files, not the size of the SSD. I DO have a 480gb SSD, and 256GB SDCARD, and neither of those are glitchy, mainly because they contain  mp4, ripped DVDs, in which at files sizes around 1-2 GBs, There are not that many files and it takes no time to read(initially or thereafter). Mp3s are much smaller and therefore the same size discs will hold tenfold the amount of files, and take a while( which we already established). When I say it works fine for me, I am not FOS, like you so rudely said. 

Tim98TA, The more files you have on the disc you use, the longer it will take to read, search, etc. My experience with searching backwards, is when I have it on random play, it will not search backwards. When i take it off random play, i hit the backward search twice and it goes to previous song, or once if i want to start song over. 

Tim98TA, The more files you have on the disc you use, the longer it will take to read, search, etc. My experience with searching backwards, is when I have it on random play, it will not search backwards. When i take it off random play, i hit the backward search twice and it goes to previous song, or once if i want to start song over. 

Thanks. I guess it kinda sucks that you have to take it off of random just to go back. I think I have about 1500+ songs on my drive.

It initially reads fast and will fast forward almost as fast as I can hit the button.

... My experience with searching backwards, is when I have it on random play, it will not search backwards. When i take it off random play, i hit the backward search twice and it goes to previous song, or once if i want to start song over. 

Thanks. I guess it kinda sucks that you have to take it off of random just to go back....

So if you take it off random play, does it go back to songs that were random played, or different songs?

I can't try because I use an iPod for my music.

Jhren-It will only reverse play alphabetically, unfortunately.

One thing to remember, these head units are like an Android mini-pc, with the exception of not having an extremely fast cpu, and the only ram(that I know of) is the internal sdcard. They are limited by USB 2.0 speed,(no sata) and space on the sdcard(since operating system is on sdcard). I think the navi units have 16gb internal sdcard, and the non-navi have 8gb. Relating to SSDs, it does not matter how fast they are, because the head unit will only read as fast as USB 2.0 allows and the cpu can process.

@joemamma

I'm aware of all that... but I don't think that has anything to do with going back in random play.  I think the unit chooses one random song at a time and doesn't make or retain a "randomized playlist".

An iPod generates a "randomized playlist" when set to "shuffle".  I haven't really used my NEX with my iPod much.  My NEX is in my recreational vehicle.  My everyday vehicle is where I generally keep my iPod, connected to a Kenwood DNN990HD.  It too is an android based head unit, but operates in random just as shuffle does on the iPod.  In fact, if I disconnect my iPod from the head unit, the playlist is still in the random order it was on the head unit.