AVIC411.com

Any alternatives for those with more than 15,000 files/1,500 folders?

So if I use a 256 SSD (formatted to FAT32 using a 3rd party software) I can exceed Pioneers file count limitation?

I would say yes based on previous poster's comment that he was suscesfull using a SSD drive. I personally have not tried this but I have an SSD with a USB interface ordered from Amazon and plan to try. I will let you know my experience but it's going to be a few weeks. I would think several are doing this and invite their comments.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would say yes based on previous poster's comment that he was suscesfull using a SSD drive. I personally have not tried this but I have an SSD with a USB interface ordered from Amazon and plan to try. I will let you know my experience but it's going to be a few weeks. I would think several are doing this and invite their comments.

Thanks...looking forward to your response

I do no see anywhere in the manual where the limit is combined. The SSD and the SDcard just have the exact same limits, The head unit only uses 1 input at a time and does not read them both at the same time. No matter which 1 you use, if you put 15000 files on it, just expect it to take up to 2 minutes to read, each time you start the vehicle or answer a BT phone call. My 256 SDcard with 200+ ripped DVDs takes maybe 10 seconds, my 256gb SSD with 15000 files will take up to 2 minutes. From what I understand, the head unit reads the device and stores info in memory or writes it on the drive(not sure which). I say this, because I took my SSD that had 120gb of mp3s on it and deleted about 6000 songs(my sons rap music), then hooked it up and all the deleted files showed up on the head unit, but when i hit play, it would skip and go to the next file, yet it was still listed on the head unit. I assumed the info was saved on the SSD, because the only way to get rid of them on the head unit was to delete all files on SSD and reinstall only the music I wanted, it read the SSD and all was well 

I've always assumed the limit was per input.  Waiting several minutes for the unit to read the drives sounds awful, though.  I put 10K+ files (FLAC + MP3) on a 128GB Micro SD card in my 2 year old Samsung Galaxy S4 phone and it took my music app about a minute to read them the first time, but has been instantaneous every time since.  I can understand a delay on first connection, but it's pretty weak that the Pioneer struggles with this every time.

Finally had time try a Toshiba 1TB SSD drive with USB interface. I formatted the drive to FAT32 using Ridggecorp FAT32 tool. http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/. Format was seamless and quick. Loaded about half of my FLAC file, about 2,000, and tried on my NEX 8100. A few folks here said it took their player 3 mins to load, well I timed my setup and it took 5 mins 43 seconds. Once loaded, music played fine and switching between tracks using library was no problem. FLAC files sure do sound good on the 8100, I love it. Boot up time sucks, and each time I turned off and back on, you go through the same ritual. For me, this ain't gonna work unless I plan to be in the vehicle for a long time. I'll stick with the 64 GB sticks, they work well with FLAC and pretty fast. I like option to store music type by memory stic anyway. At least I ended up with a pretty decent 1TB backup drive that works well with USB3

Finally had time try a Toshiba 1TB SSD drive with USB interface. I formatted the drive to FAT32 using Ridggecorp FAT32 tool. http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/. Format was seamless and quick. Loaded about half of my FLAC file, about 2,000, and tried on my NEX 8100. A few folks here said it took their player 3 mins to load, well I timed my setup and it took 5 mins 43 seconds. Once loaded, music played fine and switching between tracks using library was no problem. FLAC files sure do sound good on the 8100, I love it. Boot up time sucks, and each time I turned off and back on, you go through the same ritual. For me, this ain't gonna work unless I plan to be in the vehicle for a long time. I'll stick with the 64 GB sticks, they work well with FLAC and pretty fast. I like option to store music type by memory stic anyway. At least I ended up with a pretty decent 1TB backup drive that works well with USB3

I should have said the first load could take up to 20 minutes or longer, depending on how many files you have. After that it usually takes  up to 90 seconds each time you select that input.

I should have said the first load could take up to 20 minutes or longer, depending on how many files you have. After that it usually takes up to 90 seconds each time you select that input.

I didn't load that many files on the 5 min mark. I didn't time the reload restarts but I'm pretty sure it was same 5 mins. In any case, the same files on a memory stick with almost instant load is a win for me. I think there is more issues to reading files on a large SSD drive than there is on a smaller memory stick. For me it's way to long to wait for music when you compare against a 64k mem stick.. IMHO, most people will be satisfied with the memory stick, I don't see any benefit with a large SSD other than saying you did it!! And to be honest, I'm a little embarrassed I tried it and posted as such. But I did hoping for a miracle, and I found none.. There is chance I did something wrong in formatting process but I followed the process as others posted and simply didn't see the same results. If I did this wrong, then I invite someone, or anyone, getting better results to tell us your trick. Thanks

To the OP of this thread, I have tried so many variations in the last 1 1/2 years with my NEX I ended up running this. I have 20000+ mp3 song on iTunes match, and iPhone6 64gb phone hooked up to usb1, 200+ movies on 256gb SDcard, 480gb SSD hooked up to usb2 with 64gb of my favorite songs in FLAC format, another 200 movies in mp4, as i rip more DVDs, will add to SSD.

I do not use CarPlay, and have phone calls thru BT. CarPlay will not allow the movies to play on the headrest monitors(except DVDs and I don't put DVDs in the car)

So I have all my songs, movies available at a touch. 

PS. I also have my whole music collection available using the google music app(like iTunes match, but free)

Thanks guys....so pretty much as long as I have a 256gb SD card I can exceed the 1,500 folder/15,000 media file limit?

The only way i got around it, was having all my songs on iTunes match, and my phone hooked up to usb1.(although iTunes match limits to 25000 songs)  I think if you are going to hook up a phone to one usb port, put limit on  sdcard, and limit on solid state drive and have 30000 songs available. That is the only way I can see. If you use google music, the limit is 50000 songs.

The only way i got around it, was having all my songs on iTunes match, and my phone hooked up to usb1.(although iTunes match limits to 25000 songs)  I think if you are going to hook up a phone to one usb port, put limit on  sdcard, and limit on solid state drive and have 30000 songs available. That is the only way I can see. If you use google music, the limit is 50000 songs.

Either of those methods (iTunes Match, Google Music) is going to use up data allowance on your phone plan...

30,000 spanned across two drives is more than enough in a vehicle.  I have 17,000 songs in my [active] computer library.... which is over 1200 hours of music.  It'd take over 50 days listening 24/7 to listen to every song just once.  One helluva road trip... :)   That's why I resort to a 120GB iPod Classic and just load up my "favorites" playlists on it.

Nevertheless, I understand it is sometimes about impressing passengers by having such an expansive selection readily available (I call it DJ mentality).  If wanting to avoid using up data allowance for streaming music, I suggest looking into the DLNA method I mentioned earlier.  All it involves is a wifi hard drive with a media server built in (and your phone with a DLNA player app).  There are several not-all-that-expensive models available.  I was looking at a Seagate 1TB Wireless Plus, currently $160 at Staples.... but the choice may depend on what format(s) you want to stream, your phone, and the app used.

Somewhat dated write up... http://www.colourmylearning.com/2013/12/top-5-wireless-portable-hard-drives/ ...but it gets the gist across for the unaware.

That said, I have heard about some connectivity issues and am unsure of the quality...