AVIC411.com

Video from SD card does not work when iPhone connected, AVIC-8000-NEX

Just finished my install this weekend of an AVIC-8000NEX into my 2011 Traverse XL with Rear Seat Entertainment and Bose Sound.

I got everything working and LOVE this deck, but I'm having one very annoying issue. I have loaded videos on an SD card and I play them to the rear seat entertainment system. This works fantastic and is so much easier than dealing with DVD's, but as soon as I plug in my iPhone (USB-1, carplay), the movie stops playing the the SD option in the source menu turns grey. 

Interestingly enough, if I'm playing music from the SD card and do the exact same thing, the music keeps playing and the SD card remains as an option in the source menu.

I find this very frustrating as my wife is driving two 5-year old's around and wants to play videos while doing so. Guess what? She'd also like to have her phone connected and be able to use the Carplay features that I bought this deck for in the first place.

Does anyone have any ideas or thoughts on this?

Thanks!

The dual zone feature should allow this, but you would have to set rear zone to SDcard, and have the rear audio cables hooked up to the rear entertainment center. While I am using another input, the girls have to wear headphones to hear the audio. 

edit: I will have to check this out when i get back in town. I do not use carplay, because the call audio using usb was not as good as Bluetooth call audio. This is feedback from the people i talked to often while in the car. Since I have all my music on SSD or SDcard, there is nothing Carplay offers that i need. 

The dual zone feature should allow this, but you would have to set rear zone to SDcard, and have the rear audio cables hooked up to the rear entertainment center. While I am using another input, the girls have to wear headphones to hear the audio. 

edit: I will have to check this out when i get back in town. I do not use carplay, because the call audio using usb was not as good as Bluetooth call audio. This is feedback from the people i talked to often while in the car. Since I have all my music on SSD or SDcard, there is nothing Carplay offers that i need. 

Yes, I chose "Rear" and then go to choose SD and it is greyed out. But, you are right, it shouldn't be. Check it out on yours and see what you get.

Only having this for a couple of days, I haven't had the time to evaluate phone audio through BT versus USB. I guess I should check it out. The biggest reason I use carplay is messages. I use the phone about 1% of the time and text 99%, so having Siri read the text messages and using her to reply all through the interface on the screen is fantastic.

Once it's unplugged, I lose text notifications on my head unit and have to rely on my hearing the phone buzz.

Thanks

Tried a few more things tonight. 

When iPhone is connected, ALL sources for rear are disabled except DVD/CD.

If I go into setting and disable Carplay, the sources immediately become available.

If I change Smartphone connection from USB-1 to Bluetooth (basically disabling CarPlay), the sources become available for rear again.

This problem only seems to exist for the rear. With iPhone connected and Carplay on, I can play movies from the SD card to the front seat (Main unit, AVIC-8000NEX)

I have done the override for this unit. I have not tried to turn the override off and see if that resolves any of this as I can't imagine how that might make a difference.

Does anyone have any ideas on this topic? My wife wants to be able to use Carplay and play videos for our girls in the back seat at the same time from SD.

FYI, I upgraded firmware to 1.10 right after installing.

HELP!

Does anyone have any ideas on this topic? My wife wants to be able to use Carplay and play videos for our girls in the back seat at the same time from SD.

FYI, I upgraded firmware to 1.10 right after installing.

HELP!

I replied to to your question asking the same thing in another thread two days ago. It's copied again below. The answer exists in the owner's manual. You cannot do what you want to do. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Excerpt from owner's manual (SPH-DA120), although it should be the same as an NEX head unit.

Selecting the video for the rear display

You can choose either to show the same image as the front screen or to show the selected source on the rear display.

• This function is not available during a call in Apple CarPlay
  • iPod is not available as a source for the rear display when Apple CarPlay is on.
  • Video Files on the USB storage device cannot be played back when Apple CarPlay is on. 

I replied to to your question asking the same thing in another thread two days ago. It's copied again below. The answer exists in the owner's manual. You cannot do what you want to do. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Excerpt from owner's manual (SPH-DA120), although it should be the same as an NEX head unit.

Selecting the video for the rear display

You can choose either to show the same image as the front screen or to show the selected source on the rear display.

• This function is not available during a call in Apple CarPlay
  • iPod is not available as a source for the rear display when Apple CarPlay is on.
  • Video Files on the USB storage device cannot be played back when Apple CarPlay is on. 

Wow! Well, thank you for finding that in the manual. I guess that explains it, but doesn't really satisfy me. Reality is, it makes no sense. Why would they disable rear video just because I am using Carplay? This completely kills my wife's ability to play movies for the kids in the back of the car while using Carplay for nav, messages, phone, etc...

If I'm guessing, and I completely am guessing. I would say Apple is disabling that functionality as part of Carplay safety. What they are ignoring is rear seat entertainment, which makes perfect sense to allow during Carplay. Someone is an idiot.