AVIC411.com

4100NEX Install Needs

Hey Guys,

I just purchased a 4100NEX for my 2008 Mustang GT.  This will replace my factory shaker 1000 system.  I bought the unit from ABT, and am now sourcing other parts that will be needed from Amazon, etc.  Here's what I think I need per Crutchfield's site:

1. PAC C2R-FRD1 harness
  2. Metra dash kit
  3. Metra antennae adapter

Now this is my first radio install, so one question I have is will I be splicing and connecting wires with this harness I bought?  Is it plug and play?

I'm skipping sattelite radio for now, but would my current OEM antennae plug into the SXV300 tuner?  Or does that become obsolete

Finally, I'm most curious about which cables to buy for connecting devices to the head unit.  I'm a Galaxy S5 user, so I know to use USB 2.  Can I use usb 1 for my ipod?  What about HDMI, will I need that?  I see car mount cables that offer single usb, dual usb, usb and hdmi.  Which would you recommend I go with and run to my center counsel?

Thanks for the help

Now this is my first radio install, so one question I have is will I be splicing and connecting wires with this harness I bought?  Is it plug and play?

The head unit is furnished with single-ended harness(es), i.e. plug on one end, pre-stripped wires at other end.  The third party make/model car adapter comes the same way.  You will cross reference and splice/connect wire-only ends.

Can't answer question about OEM satellite antenna plug.

Finally, I'm most curious about which cables to buy for connecting devices to the head unit.  I'm a Galaxy S5 user, so I know to use USB 2.  Can I use usb 1 for my ipod?  What about HDMI, will I need that?  I see car mount cables that offer single usb, dual usb, usb and hdmi.  Which would you recommend I go with and run to my center counsel?

What type connector does your iPod have... 31-pin or lightning?

If you run USB (and HDMI) cable/ends to center console, you'll still need the specific device adapter cable... which will then be on the passenger side.  Not bad if you get really short cables... but longer adapter cables will be troublesome on passenger side.

GS5 specific details better answered by someone familiar...

You will be splicing wires. Solder and heat shrink is recomended. DO NOT TWIST AND TAPE!

Read the installation manuals on both the PAC and the Pioneer, and make yourself a chart of what colors attach to what colors before you start. They don't allways match. Manuals can be downloaded from http://pac-audio.comand http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/

As for what cables, it all depends on what you want to do and what space you have. You do NOT need to buy the Pioneer branded cables.

Watch these for good information on the 4100:

General info (20 min):

Android Auto (10 min):

MirrorLink (6 min):

Yes, USB 1 will work for iPod.

Another question after sine research, will connections be needed beyond connecting harnesses? Will the parking brake and reverse light be part of the harness connections? It seems those may be separate. If so, is reverse needed without a back up camera? Any idea how hard it is to find parking brake switch in a mustang?

Thanks again

Definitely run the usb ports to console, glove box or somewhere you can plug whatever you want into them. As for the reverse switch, just get the 20.00 micro bypass and forget searching for the brake switch, it will wire right into the 4100 harness and it is about the size of a nickel, hot wire, ground and green wire to the 4100 harness. Reverse wire is not need, if you do not plan on installing rear view camera. I strongly advise, running any input wires, for example rca into the a/v input, and or the aux input using a CD-M20(10.00-15.00 on Amazon). You can run these to a place that will be easy to plug in if you want to add to your system. I have Digital TV Tuner hooked up to one. Pulling the deck out, everytime you want to add something can be a pain. 

Hi guys! Just about ready to get my 4100Nex installed...I read some places that it needs a particular AUX 3.5 cable and not just any old cable...is this true?

...I also want to add a second USB cable, and HDMI as well...could you provide some links to the USB, HDMI and aux cables you all know work??

I was looking at those Rerii ones which you can flush mount in the center console or something

....I thought I should wire it up with everything even though i may not need it all at this time..

Thanks!

For HDMI, i ran a cable from the head unit to my center console in between my two front seats. I currently have a chromecast plugged in.  

This is the HDMI cable I used that works fine (its a 2 pack):

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0052SCU8U

And I used this coupler on the end inside my center console (also a pack of 2):

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CJHXY0U

Hi guys! Just about ready to get my 4100Nex installed...I read some places that it needs a particular AUX 3.5 cable and not just any old cable...is this true?

...I also want to add a second USB cable, and HDMI as well...could you provide some links to the USB, HDMI and aux cables you all know work??

I was looking at those Rerii ones which you can flush mount in the center console or something

....I thought I should wire it up with everything even though i may not need it all at this time..

Thanks!

Pioneer CD-RM10 aux cable, get original pioneer part, Ebay has them for 10.00 or so.

The flush mount usb are great, run both.

Any Quality HDMI cable(don't buy the pioneer, way too expensive

You are correct, pre-wire all the inputs to console or glove box for future use. A/V input is only RCA, 

You should end up with RCA inputs for aux, RCA inputs for A/V, HDMI, 2 USB. 

If you have a solid state drive lying around, get an enclosure, fill it with music and or videos and hook up to the usb you do not have your phone hooked up to.

Get a quality SDcard, largest you can afford, format it to fat32, fill it with music, videos etc.

Make sure you get the micro bypass, and wire it in. 

Are you going to add rear view camera? if so go ahead and find your reverse wire and hook up to reverse feed on head unit.

go ahead and hook up a wire to the amp turn on wire and run that with single RCA to where you may someday install an amp for sub.

Believe me having everything already hooked up ready to go, beats pulling the head unit everytime you want to add something.

Thanks for all the tips guys...my install is this Monday so that CD-RM10 cable won't arrive from Hong Kong in time...any other alternatives??...I would use that for connecting a 3.5mm audio input as well I'm assuming?? (I have a Zoom audio recorder I'd like to connect from time to time)

...not bothering with the rear camera...it's an older Corolla so not needed....

Those Rerii USB flush mounts are reliable for USB connection/data transfer??

Also, if a firmware is needed, I can do that all once the stereo is installed right?

Should I get that Pioneer microphone which you use to set the audio in your car?

One other thing, does "Hey Siri" work when the iphone is connected via USB?

Thanks!....Getting excited to finally have Carplay in my car :)

Hey guys, quick question...getting my install done today...i came across one forum that mentioned setting the dip switches on the back of the unit ALL IN THE UP POSITION to get more volume or something...is this accurate??  here's what I found on another site:

I have couple tips to save you time. 

- Make sure all the dip switches are up. They are all down by default from the factory. This will increase the volume on your system. Ask me how I know. I have to take the console apart (AGAIN) to adjust the dip switch

- On head unit, make sure your backup camera configuration use "battery polarity".

I knew the above issues by talking to Crutchfield tech support.