AVIC411.com

Repairing NEX due to software error (TimeLog)

For those of you that sent your units in due to upgrade errors. Pioneer takes their time processing the units so be prepared to use your stock decks if you have them. Here's my updated info:

Sent in on Monday July 27th (Bakersfield, Ca)

Received by Pioneer (Long Beach, CA) on July 28 (10:19am)

Processed for repair on August 3rd

As of today it's still in repair process. It took Pioneer almost one week to even scan my unit to start repairing it. Tomorrow will be day 3 in repair status. It should take minimum of 1 day to upload the software back into the internal sd storage. Patience is the key when dealing with these guys. I really didn't expect this from Pioneer (maybe Alpine) for being such a big company. I'll update this when my repair status has changed.

My unit has been sitting in a shop since April because Pioneer is not able to ship the part it requires for the repair  :shock:

I have already bought a used Alpine ILX-007 as a spare, didn't get around to install it.

I installed the stock Radio, Pioneer said they can't ship the part until mid Sep.

My 8000NEX was received on the 3rd, went into "In Evaluation Process" on the 5th and has been "evaluating" ever since. Nine days and counting at Pioneer.

Mine was complete on the 6th. According to Pioneer its now in testing mode then it'll ship. 5-10 business days after the repair is complete. I'm thinking it should be complete after testing it. Anyhow it's been a week tomorrow since I was on complete status.

My 8000NEX was received on the 3rd, went into "In Evaluation Process" on the 5th and has been "evaluating" ever since. Nine days and counting at Pioneer.

12 days and counting... Still "In Evaluaion Process".

When (and if) I get my 8000 back, I plan on unloading it on eBay and get an Alpine iLX-007. I just use CarPlay and the occasional Sirius channel right now, and I am thinking to keep it simple.

Accepting offers for my used 8000.....

My 8000NEX was sent to Pioneer three weeks ago for repair, and it is still in "In Evaluation Process". Basically the new firmware bricked the radio and it will not load the new firmware or revert back through a reset.

I purchased a Alpine ILX-007, and it is coming in today. So at this point, I'm in no real hurry to get the 8000 back, but it burns me that it is taking so long. And it disappoints me that a $1,400 radio can be so susceptible to failure through a firmware update. I am in the tech industry and have worked on many types of hardware and computer controlled devices. I realize that there is always a risk in performeding updates on the firmware. But usually, you leave yourself a way to revert back to a base version that can be used as a floor to try To update from. There are a lot of things that can happen to interrupt a firmware update. Power failure, faulty USB drive, poorly written update code, bad sectors on the internal SD card etc.

Perhaps the complexity of the NEX radios is the real issue here. Pioneer has tried to throw in everything but the kitchen sink into these things, and those layers may be adding to the various issues we are all experiencing.

Had to send mine in earlier this year. It took 2.5 months before I got another unit. They ended up saying the part they needed to fix mine was on back order. They " said " They I would get an " Open Box " Item to replace mine. The one they sent me has worked fine so far. ( have had it for 4 months )