AVIC411.com

8100NEX locks up due to large amount of music on USB key. How do yall do it?

I'm pretty frustrated over the fact that this 8100 can't manage 3600 music files, flac, wav and mp3.

This has happened on fat32 and ntfs, 128 and 64 gb types.

I trimmed it down from 4700 or so to the above 3600 thinking that would help.

Thing is, sometimes it will boot up fine, index the files and start playing while indexing, but thats not so often. Most of the time it will sit on the initial "loading" screen then just go to black. First time that happened I freaked until I realized it's my USB key. 

I know a lot of you have had no issues with this. Am I missing something in my format? Is it too many folders?

Apologies, I know this has been brought up, but I haven't had the patience to go leafing through all the posts as my searches don't come up with much.

What do I have to abide by in order to get as much music as possible on this USB key without locking up the system? 

I'm pretty frustrated over the fact that this 8100 can't manage 3600 music files, flac, wav and mp3.

This has happened on fat32 and ntfs, 128 and 64 gb types.

I trimmed it down from 4700 or so to the above 3600 thinking that would help.

Thing is, sometimes it will boot up fine, index the files and start playing while indexing, but thats not so often. Most of the time it will sit on the initial "loading" screen then just go to black. First time that happened I freaked until I realized it's my USB key. 

I know a lot of you have had no issues with this. Am I missing something in my format? Is it too many folders?

Apologies, I know this has been brought up, but I haven't had the patience to go leafing through all the posts as my searches don't come up with much.

What do I have to abide by in order to get as much music as possible on this USB key without locking up the system? 

Not knowing how you organized your USB device, folders, structure, and such, it is not possible to answer your questions.

I have an old iPod Classic with 90GB of music connected to the USB 2 port. This iPod holds more than 10,000 songs and I mostly use playlists to listen to my music. There has been no issues with playing, scrolling, selecting or remembering the last song played. I definitely prefer the iPod interface on the touch screen of my 8100 over navigating a folder structure on a USB stick or SD card.

I hope you'll get your problems sorted out.

Thanks for the response.

Since the iPod is doing the indexing of the files for the NEX unit, with the unit just being a second screen, I don't think it's considered the same as a drive with a bunch of music files on it, requiring the unit to index everything. 

I'm going to clean the drive and try again, not being so lazy this time and actually organize everything better. 

Did a better cleanup of my files. only music files, minimal folder structure.

Read the drive up to 100% multiple times while driving around, turning car on and off.. Whew!

Then I make a stop somewhere, and it does it again, NEX load screen for longer than usual to black screen with no way out of it.

Going to try yet another drive, I guess, I thought I fixed it.

• 2 weeks later...

I have this exact same problem.  I have two PNY 128GB USB drives (one is USB 2.0, the other is USB 3.0).  Both are identical formats (FAT32).  Both have folders and sub-folders (Music>Artist Name;Video>Artist Name).  If I leave these drives in when I start the car, the radio will never fully boot.  However, if I remove the drive, then plug the USB sticks in AFTER the car has started and the radio boots, they read perfectly and there's no issue until I turn the car off again.

Does anyone have any feedback/info on this?  It's VERY annoying...

Thanks in advance!

• 2 months later...

I am having the same issues.  I noticed its with my USB sticks with FLAC files on it.  I tried using a 2.0 USB stick and still problems.  I called Pioneer and they said it might be the USB ports, but that doesn't make sense if it reads it and locks up. Then I have another car and I installed the 4100nex and it has the same problems.  It's a software issue for sure.  Pioneer needs to fix this.  I have never had this problem with other headunits.

Anyone else have any luck?

• 2 weeks later...

I have this exact same problem.  I have two PNY 128GB USB drives (one is USB 2.0, the other is USB 3.0).  Both are identical formats (FAT32).  Both have folders and sub-folders (Music>Artist Name;Video>Artist Name).  If I leave these drives in when I start the car, the radio will never fully boot.  However, if I remove the drive, then plug the USB sticks in AFTER the car has started and the radio boots, they read perfectly and there's no issue until I turn the car off again.

Does anyone have any feedback/info on this?  It's VERY annoying...

Thanks in advance!

This has been my method so far... it's a minor annoyance.. Trying something now to see what happens. Stay tuned.

Hi!

This is a software problem. The software on my Android phone reads the music files on SD card once. When I restart the phone it starts playing immediately. The software from Pioneer tries to read USB/SD every time you turn on the unit or even when you switch from one AV to another. Sometimes it hangs for about 2 minutes when I switch from video to music on same AV.

I contacted Pioneer's support but they ignore the problem.I'm thinking in return my unit to store. It's useless. Today it takes more than 5 minutes to resume the song it was playing yesterdar when I turned it off.