AVIC411.com

Bluetooth stopped working out of the blue

Hello guys,

I have a Pioneer AVH-4000 NEX installed since February this year and no issues at all until now.

5 days ago I received a phone call while driving and I notice that the Bluetooth of my car is not working, I didn't pay much attention and just turned off the car and turn on again so the unit goes completely off and then on again and the Bluetooth is back without issues.

Now, since 2 days ago, I have the same issue and doesn't seem to work again, the bluetooth icon is grayed out and after a few minute, the button from the menu is available but everything inside the bluetooth menu is grayed out except for reset the bluetooth settings (which gives an error if I click it)

I tried:

1- Resetting the unit with the bottom right button using a clip (this didn't fix the issue)

2- I had the firmware 1.08 so I updated to 1.09 (firmware was done successfully but this didn't fix the issue)

3- I tried connecting the phone to use carplay, the first time after disconnecting the phone, the bluetooth came back and was working without issues until I turn off the car and now the bluetooth doesn't work anymore.

4- I have a bypass, I tried using a dvd movie and it works perfectly fine (just in case the bypass was not working properly, I assume that if the dvd movie plays then the bypass is fine)

When I go to Firmware Information it shows the firmware, the device number but the bluetooth firmware is blank. (when I tried number 3. using carplay, unplug, bluetooth worked temporarily), the bluetooth firmware version showed HW01-SW03.21.30).

There is an option to reset the unit to factory settings, if I click there it gives me "ERROR", same with resetting the bluetooth options, it gives me "ERROR"

If I switch to the Bluetooth option (to listen music using bluetooth) it gives me ERROR-02.

I called Pioneer, they say that I have to bring the unit, I just want to see if there is something that I can try before going that path, the unit is still under warranty but is mostly the pain of potentially be without the unit for 1 month. (if they have to order a part)

Everything else works perfectly fine, carplay, SD card, DVD movies, no issues at all except for the bluetooth. I didn't do anything, it just stopped working out of the blue.

I really appreciate all the help that can be provided.

Hello guys,

I have a Pioneer AVH-4000 NEX installed since February this year and no issues at all until now.

5 days ago I received a phone call while driving and I notice that the Bluetooth of my car is not working, I didn't pay much attention and just turned off the car and turn on again so the unit goes completely off and then on again and the Bluetooth is back without issues.

Now, since 2 days ago, I have the same issue and doesn't seem to work again, the bluetooth icon is grayed out and after a few minute, the button from the menu is available but everything inside the bluetooth menu is grayed out except for reset the bluetooth settings (which gives an error if I click it)

I tried:

1- Resetting the unit with the bottom right button using a clip (this didn't fix the issue)

2- I had the firmware 1.08 so I updated to 1.09 (firmware was done successfully but this didn't fix the issue)

3- I tried connecting the phone to use carplay, the first time after disconnecting the phone, the bluetooth came back and was working without issues until I turn off the car and now the bluetooth doesn't work anymore.

4- I have a bypass, I tried using a dvd movie and it works perfectly fine (just in case the bypass was not working properly, I assume that if the dvd movie plays then the bypass is fine)

When I go to Firmware Information it shows the firmware, the device number but the bluetooth firmware is blank. (when I tried number 3. using carplay, unplug, bluetooth worked temporarily), the bluetooth firmware version showed HW01-SW03.21.30).

There is an option to reset the unit to factory settings, if I click there it gives me "ERROR", same with resetting the bluetooth options, it gives me "ERROR"

If I switch to the Bluetooth option (to listen music using bluetooth) it gives me ERROR-02.

I called Pioneer, they say that I have to bring the unit, I just want to see if there is something that I can try before going that path, the unit is still under warranty but is mostly the pain of potentially be without the unit for 1 month. (if they have to order a part)

Everything else works perfectly fine, carplay, SD card, DVD movies, no issues at all except for the bluetooth. I didn't do anything, it just stopped working out of the blue.

I really appreciate all the help that can be provided.

Quick question..by any chance you running OS9 beta? The reason I ask is because I had the same issues as you describe with mines and once I reverted back to IOS8.4.1 my Bluetooth issues went away.. So I chalk it up to a glitch on ios9..

Hey,

Thanks for the reply, I am running iOS 8.4.1 but the problem is not related to my phone itself, is the head unit that the bluetooth is grayed out and I can't even reset the factory settings because it gives "error" while trying to do it, so it won't work with any phone or device. So I can't even get to the setting to pair the phone or anything. A few days ago I tried connecting the phone using carplay and after disconnecting it, for some reason, the bluetooth option went back to normal in the headunit and everything was working (without me having to pair the phone again or anything) until I turned it off again.

It is a weird problem that came out of the blue and I can't seem to find a solution, I tried researching a lot online and did all I could but without any luck.

• 1 month later...

Hey,

Thanks for the reply, I am running iOS 8.4.1 but the problem is not related to my phone itself, is the head unit that the bluetooth is grayed out and I can't even reset the factory settings because it gives "error" while trying to do it, so it won't work with any phone or device. So I can't even get to the setting to pair the phone or anything. A few days ago I tried connecting the phone using carplay and after disconnecting it, for some reason, the bluetooth option went back to normal in the headunit and everything was working (without me having to pair the phone again or anything) until I turned it off again.

It is a weird problem that came out of the blue and I can't seem to find a solution, I tried researching a lot online and did all I could but without any luck.

Carl82,

I am having the exact issues.  The bluethooth button is grayed out and when I try to pair to the radio I get Error - 02.  Unfortunately my radio is not under warrenty and Pioneer want $80 just to look at it.  Did you ever get your issue resolved?  Am I looking at having to upgrade to a new radio?  Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Carl82,

I am having the exact issues.  The bluethooth button is grayed out and when I try to pair to the radio I get Error - 02.  Unfortunately my radio is not under warrenty and Pioneer want $80 just to look at it.  Did you ever get your issue resolved?  Am I looking at having to upgrade to a new radio?  Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Hey,

I still didn't fix the problem, I am still under warranty but I haven't got time to actually go to Pioneer and get this fixed.

However, I read online that unplugging the unit for 10 minutes to 1 hour would probably fix the issue, I will try that this weekend (or just unplug the battery).

Feel free to try that and post an update, hopefully that works and I save the trouble of taking the unit, going to pioneer, waiting X weeks until they finally fix it, etc.

I can't even reset the head unit to the factory settings, it gives me an error when I try to do it, I assume there is something wrong with the software.

As of today, my 8000's bluetooth also failed. It is greyed out after restarting the device several times, it wont see my Android or my iPhone, and is no longer broadcasting its ID. I too attempted to reset the bluetooth, it failed. I then tried to reset the whole unit and it failed. Pulling the battery now as you instructed, will let you know if that makes any difference.

Just plugged it in after about 1.5 hours unplugged. It did not fix the bluetooth problem, and my radio has been completely wiped and reset. Going to try re loading all the firmware tomorrow.

Edited by epsilonkore

Reloaded main 1.10 firmware, wiping everything beforehand (reset all settings to default). Bluetooth still did not register (Greyed out). If I wait,it randomly  goes back to Blue and allowed me to select firmware update for Bluetooth... but once I started that proceedure it failed with ERROR across the screen and greyed out again. I think its toast... really frustrated since I am out of warranty with a top of the line Pioneer that has failed me... at least CarPlay/USB still works. Crossing fingers that new firmware will somehow fix it (the rumored one to come out before Thanksgiving) but I kind of doubt it. Everything was working perfectly, then a sudden bluetooth failure? Sounds like hardware.

• 2 weeks later...

I tried unplugging the battery and it didn't work, I have the same issue, Bluetooth is grayed out and I can't even reset to factory default settings.

I do agree, it sounds like hardware, I had the 1.08 firmware and upgraded to 1.09 and that didn't fix the issue... it is very frustrating, I did every single thing I could and nothing solved the issue.

• 3 months later...

The same thing happened to mine. I just unplugged the positive terminal on the battery for a minute, connected and boom goes the dynamite!! ( boom goes the dynamite is just a saying for it Was fixed) problem was solved. If you haven't already tried doing that give it a whirl.

Also put in a CD so it's in cd mode. It'll take the attention off the software reader to just CD mode. Then switch to Bluetooth

I did everything listed above, reloading the OS, attempting the bluetooth firmware update (sometimes it would error out sometimes it acted like it was working) and did a "power pull" by removing the positive terminal on the car for an entire night once. Nothing worked. I lived with it for several months, and finally sent it to Pioneer. They replaced the bluetooth radio as they claimed it had "failed". $250 round trip and I have my 8000 back. Interesting enough, one of the things they listed on the repair bill was "updated software to 1.11" which I had already done... multiple times. When I booted the 8000 the OS was at 1.11. When I would launch AVICSYNC I would recieve a warning to "upgrade bluetooth firmware for proper AVICSYNC functionality".  Apparently the bluetooth firmware was the one from a PREVIOIUS OS. I upgraded it (hesitantly, but for $250 everything better work!) and the bluetooth firmware took. System has been working great for a month now.

• 11 months later...

Has anyone managed to fix this BT problem other than the $250 manufacturer fix? That is not a valid option for me as my 4000 NEX was only like $500 a couple years back. Spending that much to fix it is not in the cards. I will be purchasing a new head unit if there is not fix for this malfunction...and rest assured it will not be a Pioneer product after this experience.

• 2 years later...
  • 5 months later...

avic411,

in reply to the original question/problem with bt [error-02]stopping working out of the blue::: this happened to me on my avic5200nex [the bluetooth just stopped out of nowhere and MAN WAS I PISSED, ...and i was depressingly excited to buy a new 8400 or 8500 but i am broke, but then i figured i would use a bluetooth-fm-transmitter thingy and the radio function on the head unit for a while -while a save my pennies, ...well; while attempting to pair my phone to the bluetooth fm transmitter thingy and get that to play through the radio section of the avic5200nex head unit [the radio part still worked -only the bluetooth, error-02, is what stopped working] - - -when out of nowhere: the radio tried to pair with the bluetooth fm transmitter thingy when i plugged it into the 12vdc power port, so i tried to pair it and THEN I REALIZED the bluetooth may be working again so i unplugged the fm transmitter thingy and my phone showed up on the radio and vice-versa and now it is working again, although all my speaker level settings and e-q settings were all wiped out, but no big dill i was thrilled that i don't have to dish out like $400 to $500 bucks on some second hand ebay unit and it seems to be ok - - - so if anyone is having bluetooth issues with an avic unit i suggest trying to pair it with some other bluetooth device after sitting for a day or two [i forgot to mention the car had been sitting for a day or two when this happened] and then try again to pair it with the phone again and i am also curious if this works for anyone too - i sure hope it does, i even created this account just to post this as i know i would be so grateful if someone else posted this and i found it and it worked i would be grinning ear to ear so i hope it helps even one person would make it worth all this typing, ...good luck! =)

*the bluetooth unit i use ---usually in other peoples cars--- that i was going to use when my bt failed until i could buy a new head unit is this one but i don't think it matters what one it is as long as it is something like this and heck, even if it doesn't work at least you can then play your phone bluetooth to the bluetooth fm transmitter to the radio receiver like i was going to do when i stumbled on this "fix" so no great loss and they are only like $15 on ebay and amazon anyway, ...here is the exact one i have:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0179MGKUK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

they are on ebay too:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bluetooth-Car-FM-Transmitter-Audio-Adapter-Receiver-Wireless-Hands-Free-Car-Kit/233284264740?var=532786983307

-peace

Edited by jbird
added error code: error-02