AVIC411.com

Hi guys,

My car doesn't have a cigarette lighter port and I am having to rely on the appradio to charge my phone. The trouble is, it charges extremely slowly through the usb and if I am doing anything else with the phone such as navigating by GPS, it drains the battery even though it is charging. I am not using the android connectivity kit and I have a HTC ONE m9.

Does anyone have any ideas of how I can make it either charge quicker or is the android kit better for this purpose?

Rather not have to hack my car just to install a Cigarette lighter!

Thanks all.

Does the android connectivity kit include something that will give the phone enough current to actually provide a charge while the phone is in use? I'm thinking of a separate power supply that gets its power from the head unit's harness or car battery. 

If the A.C.K. does include something like that, you have your answer. 

I've been looking into this for quite a while and have not found one solution for me to be able to charge my phone while having it connected to the head unit. I know the post above links to a charging module but this is only good if you want to just charge your phone and not have it connected to the head unit and be able to use it at the same time? I don't understand why pioneer develop high end head units and give them a poor quality power supply for usb charging?

Hi Sinbrad,

I've managed to sort my issue out. I created a usb port by using a live cable and using the existing negative/ground cable already there. I now have 15/20w coming through a quickcharge 2.0 port that is charging my phone effectively. I know it was frustrating for me also as the USB port only has enough power to manage the HDMI inputs or MHL inputs.

:)

I've been looking into this for quite a while and have not found one solution for me to be able to charge my phone while having it connected to the head unit. I know the post above links to a charging module but this is only good if you want to just charge your phone and not have it connected to the head unit and be able to use it at the same time? I don't understand why pioneer develop high end head units and give them a poor quality power supply for usb charging?

No it isn't, if you understand even the basics. The module plugs into the HDMI device you have, be it MHL / Slimport or whatever which passes through the charge to the phone. It doesn't plug into the phone directly unless you are using a wireless connection like Miracast.

The reason that Pioneer did what they did was to protect the HU and why their kit includes a separate power supply. You are slating them for your lack of understanding.